#21 Tony R

Tony R

Prog Archivist

• Members *
  • 16606 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:05 AM

View Postmetallithrax, on 07 January 2017 - 04:07 PM, said:

Started with a firestick, side loaded Kodi onto it and it worked fine.  Moved on from that to get an Android box with Kodi.

The website Tony R posted above is where I got all the info I needed for add-ons.
I have Amazon Fire box.
People have unrealistic expectations of Firestick and Roku. They are not going to be able to stream perfectly all the time because the technology inside them is limited by size. Also quite often people's own wifi can be the issue.
I use ADB to side load Kodi etc to the box (but download the repositories directly on to the box/stick.)
It is as simply a case of getting the IP address from the settings.

Edited by Tony R, 08 January 2017 - 08:08 AM.

Sponsored Post

#22 launchpad67a

launchpad67a

Armchair rocket scientist graffiti existentialist

• 4187 posts
  • Interests:Professional musician, web designer, sound engineer, studio owner, licensed pyrotechnician.
    I am also an avid golfer, drinker and smoker.

Posted 05 February 2017 - 12:46 PM

We have a Fire Tv Box (not stick), and it's a pretty amazing device. Used with an Amazon Prime membership is the way to go.

#23 Babycat

Babycat

Party Animal

• Members *
  • 77660 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 04:06 PM

I haven't got a Roku or an Amazon Fire, but I do have an Amazon Kindle Paperwhite.

#24 Gompers

Gompers

10,000 posts, and I got nothin'

• Members *
  • 16965 posts
  • Interests:Jaywalking. Not smoking meth. Selling my air guitars on eBay. Cooking Chinese and Italians. Giving blood so I can get drunk faster. Being a stickler for detale.

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:29 PM

View PostReRushed, on 03 January 2017 - 02:09 PM, said:

TRFers, I'm researching cutting the cord. What streaming device is recommended?
Google Chrome

#25 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21340 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 09 March 2017 - 06:55 PM

View PostGompers, on 09 March 2017 - 01:29 PM, said:

Google Chrome

?

#26 Gompers

Gompers

10,000 posts, and I got nothin'

• Members *
  • 16965 posts
  • Interests:Jaywalking. Not smoking meth. Selling my air guitars on eBay. Cooking Chinese and Italians. Giving blood so I can get drunk faster. Being a stickler for detale.

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:16 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 09 March 2017 - 06:55 PM, said:

View PostGompers, on 09 March 2017 - 01:29 PM, said:

Google Chrome

?
ah....Chromecast

#27 Mr. JD

Mr. JD

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1728 posts
  • Interests:Professional Photographer

Posted 29 March 2017 - 12:43 AM

I got an Apple TV and a Fire Stick. Both work very good but the Apple TV interface and speed are way better. The Fire Stick works very good though and the price can't be beat. I bought my daughter one for Christmas last year and it is all she uses for TV. Well...that, and my Amazon Prime account, my Netflix account, and my HBO and STARZ accounts. The thing I like best about the Apple TV and Fire Stick is the 1080p resolution instead of the 1080i that my Dish receivers use. 1080p is so much better. When my Dish contract expires, I am going to all streaming content using Sling TV or similar offering. I'm also going to buy a DVR to use with the national OTA channels.

#28 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 5223 posts
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:28 PM

View PostMr. JD, on 29 March 2017 - 12:43 AM, said:

I got an Apple TV and a Fire Stick. Both work very good but the Apple TV interface and speed are way better. The Fire Stick works very good though and the price can't be beat. I bought my daughter one for Christmas last year and it is all she uses for TV. Well...that, and my Amazon Prime account, my Netflix account, and my HBO and STARZ accounts. The thing I like best about the Apple TV and Fire Stick is the 1080p resolution instead of the 1080i that my Dish receivers use. 1080p is so much better. When my Dish contract expires, I am going to all streaming content using Sling TV or similar offering. I'm also going to buy a DVR to use with the national OTA channels.

Your daughter and my mom and dad! :lol:   We got my older parents a voice activated Firestick, trying to make things really easy for them.  I loaded our Netflix and HBO apps onto it.  We created a monster!  :)  At first they wouldn't use it; then they used it to watch "Temple Grandin" and a Frank Sinatra special all in one day.  Now they want every movie to be that good and keep calling me for suggestions!  It's very cute. :heart:

#29 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 50426 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 01 April 2017 - 12:23 AM

I cut the cord a couple of months ago and have loved it.

#30 KenJennings

KenJennings

Mr. Establishment

• Members *
  • 19145 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 02:39 PM

I just signed up for Playstation Vue on my Amazon Fire TV (box) and it's amazing. I've got most cable channels streaming live now, including virtually all of the necessary sports networks. The interface is certainly adequate and having so many services built into one box is great.

I did lose a few channels vs DirecTV, but very few that I miss.

I also went and bought Amazon Fire Sticks for my other two TVs: I'm a bit disappointed by the slower user interface from the Sticks, but the ultimate viewing experience is still teriffic.

I would note though: Amazon Fire TVs and Sticks seem to be in short supply right now. Ordering from Amazon usually places you on a waitlist, and they can be very difficult to track down in local stores. If you want one soon, and you see one locally, buy it when you see it!

Edited by KenJennings, 19 April 2017 - 02:42 PM.

#31 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 5223 posts
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:54 PM

View PostKenJennings, on 19 April 2017 - 02:39 PM, said:

I just signed up for Playstation Vue on my Amazon Fire TV (box) and it's amazing. I've got most cable channels streaming live now, including virtually all of the necessary sports networks. The interface is certainly adequate and having so many services built into one box is great.

I did lose a few channels vs DirecTV, but very few that I miss.

I also went and bought Amazon Fire Sticks for my other two TVs: I'm a bit disappointed by the slower user interface from the Sticks, but the ultimate viewing experience is still teriffic.

I would note though: Amazon Fire TVs and Sticks seem to be in short supply right now. Ordering from Amazon usually places you on a waitlist, and they can be very difficult to track down in local stores. If you want one soon, and you see one locally, buy it when you see it!

Thank you!  We have been looking to get rid of cable, but haven't found plans with many sports channels.  I'll be checking this out!

#32 MusicHead

MusicHead

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1087 posts
  • Interests:God, football, Stephen King, Dean Koontz, music, all things Spidey and Marvel.

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:32 AM

Roku here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users