Euro 2016 France

Someone said fans of Russia and England after they were fighting each other were chanting 'WE WANT ISIS' in unison?

Is that true???

Those are some 2nd level fans right there...

Not sure,

But this is insane. it's a fu***** soccer game go and enjoy like any sport. Win or Lose. The intent is to start trouble at this point. It's complete BS!!

Yeah, I posted about these chants earlier. They've been making them for a few days now. It made me smile at the time, but now things are getting out of hand. The French authorities have to get a grip of themselves or these championships will go down as a complete disaster.

You know,

And this is JMO. Overall, I don't think they take security seriously at all. It just seems obvious to me.

I don't think they expected all this to happen. Recent tournaments in Europe were relatively calm. It seems the French are somewhat behind other organizers of the past decade or so. The last Euro, which was held in Poland and the Ukraine, saw nothing like this. In fact, fans of different teams got along just fine. Perhaps the thugs decided to join the party this time around?
  • Like 1

Someone said fans of Russia and England after they were fighting each other were chanting 'WE WANT ISIS' in unison?

Is that true???

Not sure,

But this is insane. it's a fu***** soccer game go and enjoy like any sport. Win or Lose. The intent is to start trouble at this point. It's complete BS!!

Yeah, I posted about these chants earlier. They've been making them for a few days now. It made me smile at the time, but now things are getting out of hand. The French authorities have to get a grip of themselves or these championships will go down as a complete disaster.

It's hard to get a grip once it's underway....and the World Cup in 2018 is in Russia....??

I'll never understand the lunacy around soccer and the fans....even the civilized countries lose their minds

Soccer is a religion in some of these countries. There were stories about Italian fans, after their team was eliminated by Poland at the group stage of the 1974 World Cup, cutting their wrists and throwing TV sets out the window. And when they lost in the final in 1970, the fans met the returning Italian players with rocks being thrown at them. There are countless examples of such behavior in the history of the sport.

Wow!,

And I get upset about the Raiders. That is unbelievable!!

Yeah, and you guys are called the craziest fans in the NFL. And yet, none of you, or most of you would have no problem sitting next to a supporter of another team. It's a completely different mentality back in Europe.
  • Like 1

Is that true???

Not sure,

It's hard to get a grip once it's underway....and the World Cup in 2018 is in Russia....??

I'll never understand the lunacy around soccer and the fans....even the civilized countries lose their minds

Soccer is a religion in some of these countries. There were stories about Italian fans, after their team was eliminated by Poland at the group stage of the 1974 World Cup, cutting their wrists and throwing TV sets out the window. And when they lost in the final in 1970, the fans met the returning Italian players with rocks being thrown at them. There are countless examples of such behavior in the history of the sport.

Wow!,

Yeah, and you guys are called the craziest fans in the NFL. And yet, none of you, or most of you would have no problem sitting next to a supporter of another team. It's a completely different mentality back in Europe.

I have and never will understand the obsession with win at all cost and beating/killing a person at a sporting event. It blows me away.

• Like 1

Is that true???

Not sure,

Wow!,

I have and never will understand the obsession with win at all cost and beating/killing a person at a sporting event. It blows me away.

I wish everyone was like you. I mean, I "despise" the Wings and some other teams you don't know, but the word applies only to the first few seconds after losing a deciding game to them. After that, you compose yourself and think about next season, instead of violence.
  • Like 1

Well, Things have changed big time,

Leafs fan all though I don't follow sports like I used to in the past. I was on a camping/fishing trip back in the 90's for a week. I will never forget hearing this on the radio while setting up my camp site. They were a great team back then. But just could never get over the hump. Very frustrating at the time. But life goes on. :codger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZpGR7Ry5rY

• Like 1

Well, Things have changed big time,

Leafs fan all though I don't follow sports like I used to in the past. I was on a camping/fishing trip back in the 90's for a week. I will never forget hearing this on the radio while setting up my camp site. They were a great team back then. But just could never get over the hump. Very frustrating at the time. But life goes on. :codger:

https://www.youtube....h?v=GZpGR7Ry5rY

I'd like to be frustrated and have 13 Stanley Cup championships. ;) Edited by blackhawkrush
  • Like 1

Back to soccer,

I guess I will never understand the violence.

There are some funny sides to it. Not with anybody getting hurt, you understand. One time, after a 4th division soccer match in Poland, the fans got really upset with the referee, and he knew it. So he decided to hide in the ticket booth. The people picked up the wooden contraption, with the poor guy in it, and threw it in the local river. Edited by blackhawkrush
  • Like 1

Talk about violence. Wales' Gareth Bale, while taking his warm-ups before the game with Slovakia, kicked the ball so hard that it broke the nose of one of his own supporters in the stands. He quickly ran to apologize. :hockeygoon:

So does the winner of Euro and Copa make the World Cup or is this just a tournament?

No one seems to explain the importance of this, if there is one.

Our fights here in the US usually involve 1 or 2 drunk fans fighting, not hundreds or thousands...

Scary

WALES!!!!!!

Watching the Wales-Slovakia match on delay right now, and after a rocky start and nearly giving up the early goal to Slovaka (amazing block by Davies!), Wales has its first ever championship goal nine and a half minutes in! Bale delivers!

:dweez: :dweez: :dweez:

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

English and Russian fans are creating lots of mayhem in the streets the last couple of days. They're even taunting the terrorists by chanting "ISIS, where are you?" Could be a hot Saturday night in Marseille...

A rough town as it is... Great song, though! :dweez:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIIZhWCtKHw

Sounds like a combo of Tom Petty and Bob Dylan doing an AC/DC song. ;)

Oi! :blah: The Angels (aka Angel City) are an iconic Aussie band. I dig 'em.

I got one out of three. That ain't bad. Kinda like what Romania did today. :blink:

Thanks for getting us back on track!

WALES!!!!!

I watched the last friendly between Slovakia and Northern Ireland, because I wanted to see what my first opponents, the Irish have to offer ( I thought they were still ice cream salesmen and policemen. I guess that time has passed ) Anyway, the Slovaks play as a team, they're tough to handle, but I'll be pullin' for you.

Slovakia seems the speedier team so far, but Wales is countering with a deliberate, almost brutish style that is getting it done so far! Wales reminds me of a less artful Netherlands.

As play goes on, Slovakia responding in kind...and the officials letting the play on.

Edited by goose

Meanwhile in Copa América play, Costa Rica takes down Colombia 3-2 to help the US Team in group play! :dweez:

Sadly, there was a Colombian own-goal in that one. In the past that's been a death sentence. :scared: Andrés Escobar... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C3%A9s_Escobar

Edited by goose

Saw the England-Russia replay last night. Plumb sickening. England completely outplays Russia, scoring around the 72 minute mark with a spectacular free kick, and let's Russia tie the game in stoppage time. 1 point instead of 3. Ugh.
  • Like 1

Saw the England-Russia replay last night. Plumb sickening. England completely outplays Russia, scoring around the 72 minute mark with a spectacular free kick, and let's Russia tie the game in stoppage time. 1 point instead of 3. Ugh.

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/480/cpsprodpb/8151/production/_89950133_balecelebration_reuters.jpg

WALES!

• Like 1

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/480/cpsprodpb/8151/production/_89950133_balecelebration_reuters.jpg

WALES!

That reminds me of Seabrook, game 7 against the Wings in 2013. :atickhum:
  • Like 1

The early reports were incorrect. Apparently, Polish and Irish fans are not fighting each other, in fact they're getting on swell, taking pictures and singing together. The trouble started when local French thugs attacked the two groups. Can't wait till 11am. :smoke:
  • Like 2

A real workmanlike effort by Croatia in defeating Turkey. This team has been knocking on the door in the last few tournaments, not being able to get to that next level. Could this be the year?
  • Like 1

Watching N. Ireland-Poland in group C play right now. My oldest memory of the Polish squad is from the 1982 FIFA World Cup during which I was living in Mexico. I got to watch just about every match of the Cup, which was my first ever viewing. Poland finished 3rd that year, behind Germany and eventual champion Italy, and was the talk of the Cup, at least in Mexico.

Poland's success was a nice diversion from the collective depression from the fact that Mexico hadn't made it to the tournament...despite the expansion of the event from 16 to 24 teams. Netherlands and Sweden didn't qualify either!

• Like 2

The early reports were incorrect. Apparently, Polish and Irish fans are not fighting each other, in fact they're getting on swell, taking pictures and singing together. The trouble started when local French thugs attacked the two groups. Can't wait till 11am. :smoke:

A report on the incident.. http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/euro-2016/heartwarming-picture-shows-how-classy-northern-ireland-fans-helped-polish-counterparts-following-attack-by-local-hooligans-34792885.html

CkvX6OGWUAQhEz4.jpg

N. Irish-Polish fans in solidarity.

• Like 2

Total domination by Poland in the first half. Great chances for Milik and Kapustka, still no goals. I have no idea how N. Ireland won their qualifying group. :wacko: