Triple article from the Feb 2016 issue of PROG now online

Jag2112

I always thought Ian Anderson would be a cool addition to Rush, awesome voice and the flute would be a cool addition here and there. Geddy could save his voice and do backup vocals and I'm sure Ian knows a decent drummer he could bring..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rwn0R1PFUwU

Rick Emmet and Gil Moore--"Maple Leaf Union"
  • Like 1

I always thought Ian Anderson would be a cool addition to Rush, awesome voice and the flute would be a cool addition here and there. Geddy could save his voice and do backup vocals and I'm sure Ian knows a decent drummer he could bring..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rwn0R1PFUwU

Rick Emmet and Gil Moore--"Maple Leaf Union"

Beaver union - hardest working band in the dam pond!

Fukkin Canada.. our national symbols are a leaf and a rodent :/

Edited by MMCXII
  • Like 1

from what i hear, ian anderson isn't singing any better than ged these days

Was afraid of that..

If Geddy and Alex plan to tour with this music, hopefully it will sound like Rush without Neil, and without Geddy on vocals.

:ph34r:

Some responses you may receive:

"There's nothing wrong with Geddy's voice."

"I think he's doing great for a man his age."

"Why all the negativity???" (This voice is best heard if thinking of Gilda Radner in The Whiners. :))

Edited by Lorraine

I may get flack for this opinion, but I've been thinking that maybe one of the reasons that tipped Neil into wanting to quit now was because of Geddys vocals. I mean in the sense of trying to save him embarrassment. I'm sure the Neil haters will say it's all about him and he wouldn't be that considerate. But I think it's possible.

"...well perhaps I'd feel differently if I weren't under such heavy sedation, but two months from now I can't see missing Neil any more than Stumpy Joe Peeps, or John Rutsey."

And then after Rutsey...

Corneilus "Stumpy Joe" Pratt. Died on stage. Chocked on someone else vomit then melted into a little green globule on stage. They dont know whos vomit it was. May have been the mix on Roll the Bones.

I may get flack for this opinion, but I've been thinking that maybe one of the reasons that tipped Neil into wanting to quit now was because of Geddys vocals. I mean in the sense of trying to save him embarrassment. I'm sure the Neil haters will say it's all about him and he wouldn't be that considerate. But I think it's possible.

that's the most creative (and most amusing) reason i've heard yet!

Glad you were amused.

Glad you were amused.

Nice attempt at straw man argument there though.

Neil doesn't enjoy touring, but what does that mean ??

He apparently loves hitting the open road on his motorcycle and traveling - he enjoys eating in the little roadside diners and staying at the motels .. He does this without his family ..

So the difference between his travels and a tour :

- playing music

- being around Geddy and Alex

- being subjected to fans

Is it safe to assume Neil no longer likes Rush ?

• Like 1

You are overthinking it. He doesn't want to be a touring musician anymore.

Maybe he will change his mind, maybe he will not. Thats his decision.

After reading the interview with Geddy, I am thinking about he and Alex feel .. I did not know that Geddy was disappointed with the length of the tour ... Geddy is pretty straightforward in putting across that he put a lot into the planning, for example, and while I've see the opinions here among fans, reading it from Geddy kind of brings the spotlight directly down on Neil as far as the reason for his displeasure ..

So if you are Geddy, how do you feel when Neil - who by all accounts hates touring - doesn't really miss a beat ( unlike some R40 versions of Natural Science ) hops on his motorcycle and hits the road ?

Most of the motorcycle riding was done to make the touring more enjoyable, not for something to do all the time. I doubt he does much traveling by bike other than locally when not on tour with the band. vacation writings have included travel by boat, hiking, snowshoeing, and cross country skiing with occasional car ride or race. Anyway, none of those are as high impact stressful on the bones as playing drums for a Rush concert, and one can go away from family for a few days on a trip without being obligated to be away for months at a time. You can't equate a short vacation with a rock tour. They aren't the same, as much as some fans might fantasize they are.
  • Like 1