Top 3 bands you'd want to see live (Rush at #1)/NP retirement

maxeystcharles

Hey guys, long time reader, infrequent poster. I may get crucified here but I think a lot of you will like it. My buddy started a podcast about rock/hard rock/metal. He is a huge Rush fan and the other host (who is Canadian ironically) doesn't like them at all. I think he does a good job defending them during the portion where they talk about Peart's retirement plans and he chooses them as the number one show he'd want to see right now.

Let me know your thoughts if you listen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSyYGwRd1_s

It's an hour long. Not sure when I'll have time to listen to that but a thread about who you'd like to see live is interesting especially if it's all time. For me would be

Zep on physical graffiti tour

Floyd dsotm or wywh

Sabbath circa volume 4 or sabbath bloody sabbath tours.

This is one that haunts me.

I had a chance to see Stevie Ray Vaughn at our local county fair. But I usually don't like the hassle of live shows so I didn't go.

This was his next to last concert and he died 3 days later.

• Like 1

I had a chance to see Stevie Ray Vaughn at our local county fair. But I usually don't like the hassle of live shows so I didn't go.

Dude I saw him that tour. Jeff Beck was his opening act. Beck is an amazing player. SRV blew my mind. I remember nothing from Beck's act.

SRV came out, tipped his hat...and tapped into another realm.

• Like 2

As far as bands I can't see, I'd love to have seen

Frank Zappa in the late 70's

Genesis on the Trick of the Tail Tour

The Who Quadrophenia Tour

Bands I can still see:

Devin Townsend Project

Opeth/Steven Wilson

Iron Maiden

I was fortunate enough to see maiden on piece of mind tour and porcupine tree on FOaBP tour. Both were excellent obviously. I actually snuck a tape recorder in the maiden show and recorded it. It was a GA admission and the floor was too chaotic to operate the recorded so I retreated to the front row of seats near stage which wasn't a bad spot either. Porcupine tree I saw at hard rock in Orlando so I was literally standing 20' away maybe.

• Like 1

Dude I saw him that tour. Jeff Beck was his opening act. Beck is an amazing player. SRV blew my mind. I remember nothing from Beck's act.

Dude was just hitting his stride after cleaning up. This will be one of the great shames to the entertainment world Along with the senseless murders of Phil Harrman and Dimebag Darell.

• Like 2

Bands I can still see:

Devin Townsend Project

Opeth/Steven Wilson

Iron Maiden

I really hope I get the chance to see Maiden alas the arent really coming near me in 2016.

Sabbath as well. They are comng to Oakland in September. Marillion is also coming to SF next Fall.

Bands I can still see:

Devin Townsend Project

Opeth/Steven Wilson

Iron Maiden

I was fortunate enough to see maiden on piece of mind tour and porcupine tree on FOaBP tour. Both were excellent obviously. I actually snuck a tape recorder in the maiden show and recorded it. It was a GA admission and the floor was too chaotic to operate the recorded so I retreated to the front row of seats near stage which wasn't a bad spot either. Porcupine tree I saw at hard rock in Orlando so I was literally standing 20' away maybe.

Link????

Hmmmm.

Lyle Lovett and His Large Band--Road to Ensenada tour

Paul McCartney and Wings--Band on the Run

Ozzy--Diary of a Madman--with one Randall Rhoads

Missed my chance at seeing ozzy with randy. I did see him with Jake on guitar and motley Crüe opening on May 20, 1984 which was a make up date from when he hurt his throat with glass filming a video in February. I liked jakes stuff but never cared for the way he played Randy's songs.

• Like 1

Bands I can still see:

Devin Townsend Project

Opeth/Steven Wilson

Iron Maiden

Link????

Link for...?

Bands I can still see:

Devin Townsend Project

Opeth/Steven Wilson

Iron Maiden

I've seen Wilson and Maiden both on their most recent tours. When I saw Wilson on the Raven Tour, his guitar during Harmony Korine was about a foot and a half away from my face! But the Fear of a Blank Planet Tour totally trumps that show, it's my favorite PT/SW album and they played the whole thing!

• Like 2

Bands I can still see:

Devin Townsend Project

Opeth/Steven Wilson

Iron Maiden

I really hope I get the chance to see Maiden alas the arent really coming near me in 2016.

Sabbath as well. They are comng to Oakland in September. Marillion is also coming to SF next Fall.

This thread should teach you to GO TO bands and NOT wait for them to come to you. Those bands may never go to your area.

• Like 1

Hmmmm.

Missed my chance at seeing ozzy with randy. I did see him with Jake on guitar and motley Crüe opening on May 20, 1984 which was a make up date from when he hurt his throat with glass filming a video in February. I liked jakes stuff but never cared for the way he played Randy's songs.

To this very day I thank God Ozzy left Sabbath. IMO his solo material with Randy is timeless...Randy is still one of my favorites.
  • Like 2

Bands I can still see:

Devin Townsend Project

Opeth/Steven Wilson

Iron Maiden

This thread should teach you to GO TO bands and NOT wait for them to come to you. Those bands may never go to your area.

Especially sabbath. They are getting up there. Eventually, whether or not they are able to tour will be decided by health or worse. I've seen sabbath with Gillian and with Dio but never ozzy so I should try to go too.

Hmmmm.

To this very day I thank God Ozzy left Sabbath. IMO his solo material with Randy is timeless...Randy is still one of my favorites.

And sabbath with Dio was cool as well. I remember how much it sucked having to shell out for 2 live albums at the same time with live evil and speak of the devil.

• Like 1

Dude was just hitting his stride after cleaning up. This will be one of the great shames to the entertainment world Along with the senseless murders of Phil Harrman and Dimebag Darell.

SRV was inspired no doubt. He was BETTER clean

Bands I can still see:

Devin Townsend Project

Opeth/Steven Wilson

Iron Maiden

Link????

Link for...?

The torrents for the shows you recorded. ;)

Bands I can still see:

Devin Townsend Project

Opeth/Steven Wilson

Iron Maiden

Brilliant Johnny!

I will always travel to see a band if I have to.

Passing on Sabbath but I did buy my Marillion ticket.

As you know I rip Howarth apart all the time, but I will always go to hear the music. Rothery is in my top 5. I've met him several times back in the Nineties. I'm very good friends with the boys in ENCHANT.

I had SRV JEFF BECK tickets. I was too chicken to call in sick.

Damn, I'm an idiot.

• Like 1

Bands that I would like to see that could happen but probably will not:

Supertramp with Roger Hodgson (saw them in 83 but would again)

Pink Floyd with Roger Waters (have seen separately)

Bands that I have seen but would like to go back in time to see earlier:

Kansas from 1975 - 1980

Yes from 1971-1979

Genesis from 1973-1978

The Who from 1968-1975

Edited by Grover

Bands I can still see:

Devin Townsend Project

Opeth/Steven Wilson

Iron Maiden

Brilliant Johnny!

As you know I rip Howarth apart all the time, but I will always go to hear the music. Rothery is in my top 5. I've met him several times back in the Nineties. I'm very good friends with the boys in ENCHANT.

Damn, I'm an idiot.

Way back in '07 our good TRF friend in Australia (different strings) was a little upset with me because I told him that he needed to see Rush in North America (or Europe) because the chances of them playing in Aus are next to zero. He didn't like my rawness. But I told him that he may never get another chance. They'd probably be done soon. So he did! Went twice stateside, saw them multiple times on two different tours, met loads of TRFers, and even scored some Peart drumsticks. He probably forgot my rawness about telling him he needed to go before it's too late but there it is.

• Like 2

Bands I can still see:

Devin Townsend Project

Opeth/Steven Wilson

Iron Maiden

Brilliant Johnny!

Damn, I'm an idiot.

Way back in '07 our good TRF friend in Australia (different strings) was a little upset with me because I told him that he needed to see Rush in North America (or Europe) because the chances of them playing in Aus are next to zero. He didn't like my rawness. But I told him that he may never get another chance. They'd probably be done soon. So he did! Went twice stateside, saw them multiple times on two different tours, met loads of TRFers, and even scored some Peart drumsticks. He probably forgot my rawness about telling him he needed to go before it's too late but there it is.

You are the MAN! I remember Different Strings! Cool!

I'm glad he listened to you!!!!

Cheers!

• Like 1

I would want to see Woodstock.

Personally I think the admiration for Woodstock is Overrated, and I would would want to prove myself right

And Elvis in Vegas early 70's

• Like 1