Six most significant songs in your life

Rutlefan

Alternate list for me

Hound dog- elvis

Hair of the dog - nazareth

Submission- sex pistols

Fresh flesh-fear

Paranoid- black sabbath ( dickies cover is great too)

Lazarus-porcupine tree

Lazarus is a great tune. I butcher that one on my acoustic guitar from time to time.

Right on. At one time the official porcupine tree thread was one of the most active threads here.

This is a great thread but sadly I don't think I can contribute. Albums have had a lot more significance than songs, but if I tried to pare them down I don't think I could limit myself to six (or ten). But it's fun to read, nonetheless.

I am in exactly the same boat. Even early on it was full albums that I listened to.

But...a song from six of those earliest albums:

Take Five - Dave Brubeck

Theme from Exodus - Roger Williams

Streets of Loredo - Marty Robbins

What the Buzz - Jesus Christ Superstar

Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In - Hair

A Day in the Life - Beatles

Edited by goose

Jeez, this is a tough one for me because there are just so many. Often it's a song that just hits me at a gut level and touches me deeply. Here are six random ones:

1. Yes- Owner of a lonely heart (it sums me up because I've always been single although it's not my favorite song by them. It was however, probably the first one to get my attention)

2. Rush - Subdivisions (being that no one paid attention to me in high school or earlier and I felt isolated this one struck a chord with me. In fact if there is one song that made me want to major in sociology this is probably it).

3. Van der Graaf Generator - Pilgrims (another one that makes me feel like an existentialist and wonder not just what is wrong with me but everyone else. There is hope in the song though). "Killer" is another one by them I relate to.

4. U2- I still haven't found what I'm looking for (Because as the title says "I still haven't found what I'm looking for)

5. Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun (not sure why but the song and the whole album for that matter have personal significance for me. I think part of it was I moved into my own place around the time I first heard it and saw them live twice and there is some kind of emotional connection anyway). The funny thing is most people didn't know about PT at that time which is a shame because it was their best period.

6. Kansas - Carry on my wayward son (another song that seems to be written about me)

Edited by New_World_Man

The following is subject to change without further notice

1. Overture from The Who's Tommy. That album made me realize from a very young age that music is a language I would pursue the rest of my life.

2. Solsbury Hill by Peter Gabriel. The sound of so many happy memories.

3. Legs by ZZ Top. That song just rocks!

4. Theme From Jurassic Park. Love the movie and love the soundtrack. Whenever I hear it it makes me aspire to make classical music. A string section is the most haunting and beautiful sound ever made.

5. Pushit (live version) from Tool. I want to master that same degree of dynamics and emotions in music.

I forgot the last one ...

6. Tom Sawyer, Rush. When my dad got me into Rush we would put on Rush In Rio and watch it through together.

Edited by The Analog Grownup

Taking advantage of my own concession to self-promotion (there's been ten more lists since my first), here's another six that qualify, again in order of discovery:

1. Bennie and the Jets by Elton John. Apart from an early childhood love of Three Dog Night LPs from my parents' collection, Elton John was my first musical obsession.

2. Pinball Wizard by The Who, though it was Elton John's version that I obsessed over.

3. No Quarter by Led Zeppelin, version from The Song Remains the Same. Like Xanadu, I would listen with headphones transfixed, over and over.

4. The Trees by Rush. The instrumental middle still makes me swoon today.

5. Procession by New Order. My love for this song has no limits.

6. Dear Prudence by The Beatles. If this was the only song The Beatles ever wrote, they'd still be one of my favorite bands.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 3

Jeez, this is a tough one for me because there are just so many. Often it's a song that just hits me at a gut level and touches me deeply. Here are six random ones:

1. Yes- Owner of a lonely heart (it sums me up because I've always been single although it's not my favorite song by them. It was however, probably the first one to get my attention)

2. Rush - Subdivisions (being that no one paid attention to me in high school or earlier and I felt isolated this one struck a chord with me. In fact if there is one song that made me want to major in sociology this is probably it).

3. Van der Graaf Generator - Pilgrims (another one that makes me feel like an existentialist and wonder not just what is wrong with me but everyone else. There is hope in the song though). "Killer" is another one by them I relate to.

4. U2- I still haven't found what I'm looking for (Because as the title says "I still haven't found what I'm looking for)

5. Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun (not sure why but the song and the whole album for that matter have personal significance for me. I think part of it was I moved into my own place around the time I first heard it and saw them live twice and there is some kind of emotional connection anyway). The funny thing is most people didn't know about PT at that time which is a shame because it was their best period.

6. Kansas - Carry on my wayward son (another song that seems to be written about me)

Some cool choices there. The first is a pleasant surprise. Edited by goose

Maybe if we just ignore the word "most" we can pick any 6 random significant songs. Just completely random:

Death on Two Legs - I was blown away by that dark, dramatic classical piano opening and the heavy guitar (those wicked Vader two-note phrases) and then the acidic lyrics.

Fool's Overture - I've always loved songs that start with atmospheric stuff, the distant music, crowd noises and Churchill's speech and then the music building up. I find the vocal performance hugely stirring in this tune, too.

Xanadu - this song had everything. Again with the atmospheric stuff, the guitar swells - something exotic about it that matches the story. Great playing, though maybe not as chopsy as Cygnus.

Gimme Shelter - for me this is all about Merry Clayton's performance. When her voice breaks, that always freaks my beak.

Close to the Edge - headphone freakout

Foreplay/Long Time - strange choice, maybe, but these tracks blew me away when I was a kid

A great collection if songs. The Live Killers version of "Death..." is a favorite of mine.
  • Like 2

Maybe if we just ignore the word "most" we can pick any 6 random significant songs. Just completely random:

Death on Two Legs - I was blown away by that dark, dramatic classical piano opening and the heavy guitar (those wicked Vader two-note phrases) and then the acidic lyrics.

Fool's Overture - I've always loved songs that start with atmospheric stuff, the distant music, crowd noises and Churchill's speech and then the music building up. I find the vocal performance hugely stirring in this tune, too.

Xanadu - this song had everything. Again with the atmospheric stuff, the guitar swells - something exotic about it that matches the story. Great playing, though maybe not as chopsy as Cygnus.

Gimme Shelter - for me this is all about Merry Clayton's performance. When her voice breaks, that always freaks my beak.

Close to the Edge - headphone freakout

Foreplay/Long Time - strange choice, maybe, but these tracks blew me away when I was a kid

A great collection if songs. The Live Killers version of "Death..." is a favorite of mine.

Yeah live killers is indeed killer!

• Like 1

[ The first is a pleasant surprise. ]

A pleasant surprise for who?

Me? It's not a song I would expect to see singled out on this forum, but it's a good one from a great album.

Taking advantage of my own concession to self-promotion (there's been ten more lists since my first), here's another six that qualify, again in order of discovery:

1. Bennie and the Jets by Elton John. Apart from an early childhood love of Three Dog Night LPs from my parents' collection, Elton John was my first musical obsession.

2. Pinball Wizard by The Who, though it was Elton John's version that I obsessed over.

3. No Quarter by Led Zeppelin, version from The Song Remains the Same. Like Xanadu, I would listen with headphones transfixed, over and over.

4. The Trees by Rush. The instrumental middle still makes me swoon today.

5. Procession by New Order. My love for this song has no limits.

6. Dear Prudence by The Beatles. If this was the only song The Beatles ever wrote, they'd still be one of my favorite bands.

Totally agree with No Quarter