What's your favorite Rush song backstory?

Tom_Sawyer99

Everything has a story to it, and that goes for Rush songs especially. But which is your favorite?

Here's an example: Red Barchetta's story deals with a young man and his uncle under the Motor Law, and the uncle's prized Red Barchetta he preserved for him.

Its a good story, but my favorite of all is Cygnus X-1 (Book I & II combined). The only word to describe it is... EPIC

But anyways, I wish to see who's favorites are as well!

• Like 1

I love the 2112 story.

About the priests and the guy that almost takes suicide because he lost the guitar. So sad...

My understanding is that our protagonist in 2112 does commit suicide - A liberation of his spirit ... and the tragic aspect being that the Elders then return to dispose of the oppressive Solar Federation

Everything has a story to it, and that goes for Rush songs especially. But which is your favorite?

Here's an example: Red Barchetta's story deals with a young man and his uncle under the Motor Law, and the uncle's prized Red Barchetta he preserved for him.

Its a good story, but my favorite of all is Cygnus X-1 (Book I & II combined). The only word to describe it is... EPIC

But anyways, I wish to see who's favorites are as well!

I'm with you TS99

I love the Cygnus story - first of all, the sci-fi vibe, but really the rebirth aspect ... the entire thing is perfect as the music fits the story so well, and paints a fantastic picture

I think "Bastille Day" is one of the most amazing songs Rush has written! It's about the French Revolution and the storming of the Bastille in 1789 France. The French nation rebelled against Louis XVI and his wife Marie Antoinette, both of whom were executed by guillotine for treason.

I love the Rush songs that are stories. The duo of Cygni are definitely my favourite, as they combine sci-fi with Greek and Roman mythology. 2112 is another fantastic story, as is Red Barchetta. I think Rush's songs-that-are-stories are so much better than the songs that are just supposed to describe a slice of life, and that is part of the reason I like Clockwork Angels so much--it's a return to storytelling.
  • Like 2