6 Films that Upset, Inspire, and Rile you up

JohnnyBlaze

First Movie: At the cinema? Spiderman 2

Movie that makes me cry: Schindler's List

Movie That I Hate That Everyone Loves: toss up between any Star Wars film or Avatar

Desert Island Movie: Gone With The Wind

Movie Remake: Harry Potter, hand drawn animation.

Yeah, Avatar was well over-appreciated. It just seemed like a cliche with great special effects.

And I can easily imagine Harry P as hand-drawn animation.

Harry Potter would just benefit from a full on animated approach. But hand drawn, and with better screenplays and longer running times.

Avatar is, for all the hype about the special effects, an ugly film. All that blue in a world that looks shockingly green. Why do all the species look like members of the same family?

First movie:

At home the first movie I remember watching was The Goonies. My mom rented it right when it came out. In the theater it was Who Framed Roger Rabbit. I remember taking a three minute piss afterwards because I held it not wanting to miss anything. I still love both.

Mad tears, bro:

Not really, but the one movie I did tear up during was...Grave of the Fireflies. Yep, same somewhat obscure pick as JB!

Hated:

Get out of my head, JB! Matrix is the first thing that popped into my head. Hated the first one, saw the second one in the theater because my boss kept raving about it...hated it too. My mom had the third one on DVD, so I said what the hell and borrowed it...turned it off 30 minutes in, and that was the end of me ever trying to watch the Matrix again.

Another recent one is Upstream Color. It has an 84% on RT and an 81% on Metacritic, but it's complete garbage to me. Just total pretentious bullshit...and that's coming from someone who likes The Tree of Life.

Desert island movie:

Tough one. My initial thought would be Brazil or Blade Runner, my two favorite movies. But then I think I'd want something I could watch repeatedly so I'll go with Aliens.

Remake:

I really love the X-Men and hate the X-Men movies. It's time to reboot this shit with a fresh start.

Plane:

Never watched a movie on a plane. I did see What About Bob on a long bus ride once, and Wreck-It Ralph in a minivan if that counts. :LOL:

Doesn't surprise me that we'd have a few of the same picks. And an X-Men remake is fine. Truth be told and with the dust all settled, I probably only liked X2 and Days of Future Past (but I still had issues with Days). The others were ok or shit. And don't get me started on the balls that were the Wolvie films.

1) The first movie I ever saw

No idea. I have vague memories of seeing The Sound of Music at the theater when I was young but that's it.

Me too. It is my first recollection of ever seeing a movie and especially at a theater. It was a field trip very early in my elementary school days. I would have been 5 years old and in first grade. It's one of my all time favorite movies to this day... :codger:
  • Like 1

Adding a #7...

7) Movie that always makes you happy when you're down

Around Christmas, I would say It's a Wonderful Life. Otherwise, I will likely say Apollo 13. Although I KNEW the outcome, I was swept up in the story, and felt the drama and excitement.

With modern flicks I'd say Slumdog Millionaire. With something from the 20th century, probably This Is Spinal Tap.

• Like 1

First Movie: Sound Of Music

Crying: Mr. Hollands Opus. I have seen it so many times and I cry every time still

Hated: ET sounds reasonable although I loved it when it came out and actually went and saw it 3 times at the theater :wacko:

Desert Island: Shawshank I suppose. Can't get much better than that one and as LIX said when you see it on you can't help but stop flipping channels and watch it

Remake: Not a fan. Don't know

Airplane: Never seen a movie on a plane

To add one category if I may... Scared sh*tless: Halloween, Aliens

:)

• Like 1

Aliens, really? Always thought of that as just a cool, sci-fi action film. ALIEN is the real horror film of the series...the only horror film of them all actually.

I think of Halloween as an action film with a creepy piano theme.

:blaze:

Aliens, really? Always thought of that as just a cool, sci-fi action film. ALIEN is the real horror film of the series...the only horror film of them all actually.

My bad. The original... This one :)

220px-Alien_movie_poster.jpg

• Like 1

I really have no interest in horror movies, but I do like action/suspense.

Favorite "Guy" movie - Caddyshack or Airplane!

Favorite "chick flick" - 50 First Dates

I really have no interest in horror movies, but I do like action/suspense.

Favorite "Guy" movie - Caddyshack or Airplane!

Favorite "chick flick" - 50 First Dates

Caddyshack is a given as a favorite and a classic for sure. You couldn't tie me down and make me watch a horror flick now and for many years but back in the day (late 70's and 80's) I used to go see just about all of them until the sequels got way out of hand....

Doesn't surprise me that we'd have a few of the same picks. And an X-Men remake is fine. Truth be told and with the dust all settled, I probably only liked X2 and Days of Future Past (but I still had issues with Days). The others were ok or shit. And don't get me started on the balls that were the Wolvie films.

I like X2 well enough but there's so much that bothers me about the others that it's too late to fix it. Plus the continuity is just f***ed now. I'd love to see the franchise given the same love as Avengers. And better costumes! :D

• Like 2

I like X2 well enough but there's so much that bothers me about the others that it's too late to fix it. Plus the continuity is just f***ed now. I'd love to see the franchise given the same love as Avengers. And better costumes! :D

agreed. ever look at the x-men continuity graph? It's so convoluted:

1d5353f04adc71d17b057962f38e66e2.jpg.

• Like 1

agreed. ever look at the x-men continuity graph? It's so convoluted:

1d5353f04adc71d17b057962f38e66e2.jpg.

Yeah, it's a mess now.

It's my fantasy that the upcoming Age of Apocolypse flick will end this run on the series and ACTUALLY finish with the scene of teenage Rogue walking into the fight cage bar where she first encountered Wolverine in X1. Full circle and all that. THEN, reboot it a few years later to totally do it right with the true original X team of Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Iceman, Beast (non-furry), and Angel...or if they must, get rid of Angel and put in Wolverine. Surely, none of that will happen though.

Stormtron, what kind of costumes are you thinking? The full on primary color comic book costumes? You know there's a deleted scene on the last Wolverine flick where he's given his classic yellow mask? It looks decent too.

• Like 1

Stormtron, what kind of costumes are you thinking? The full on primary color comic book costumes? You know there's a deleted scene on the last Wolverine flick where he's given his classic yellow mask? It looks decent too.

Yeah, something closer to the comics definitely. I really like how they did Cap's costume. That Wolverine mask and gloves looked pretty cool.

Yeah, something closer to the comics definitely. I really like how they did Cap's costume. That Wolverine mask and gloves looked pretty cool.

All of Cap's costumes except for the one in Avengers 1 were really good. I even liked how they included the traditional comic one + his first shield when he was touring & trying to get U.S. bonds in Cap 1.

• Like 1

All these other superhero movies being rebooted, and all these years later I'm still waiting on a Wolverine who isn't a leading-man type. I'd rather see Cyclops be the leading-man, and Wolvie be the angry short-arse I've loved since childhood

1) The first movie I ever saw - The first movie a saw all the way through was Back to the Future, and it's partly responsible for me wanting to learn the guitar at a young age.

2) The movie that always makes me cry - The Green Mile

3) The film everyone loves that I hate - I've seen Heat four times now, and I was bored each time. I keep hearing how great it is, so keep figuring I should give it another chance...but still nothing. The Pacino/De Niro scene in the diner is pretty cool, though

4) My desert island movie - Back to the Future, again

5) The remake I'd like to see - not big on remakes...Although, I'd love to see a 1990's pre-make of the 4th Indy movie :LOL:

6) The last film I watched on a plane - Never been on a plane :(

1) The first movie I ever saw:

It was probably Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. That movie sticks in my mind because I know I saw it when I was really young, and never saw it again.

2) The movie that always makes me cry:

Forrest Gump at Jenny's grave. Nuff said

3) The film everyone loves that I hate:

Anything Disney. Never liked those 2 hour cartoon films as a kid, and have not watched one in 40 years. People are like, 'You have to see Frozen, etc..........No thanks, not interested.

4) My desert island movie:

It would be something funny. I see alot of Shawshank Redemption on this list. . To me a great film but numerous depressing scenes.

I would want something that makes me laugh. And laugh often. I would think laughter is a rarity on a desert island.

Holy Grail, Ferris, Snatch........something, hard choice. But a comedy for sure.

5) The remake I'd like to see:

Most remakes are horrible and rarely improve the original. For every 10 remakes 8 are horrible.

With that being said, I have no choice.

6) The last film I watched on a plane:

I actually know this because this was recent. Fletch and Rounders. 2 very different 90 minute films. Always stick to the 90 minute rule on a 3 hour plane ride, so you can complete the film.

It was probably Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. That movie sticks in my mind because I know I saw it when I was really young, and never saw it again.

Anything Disney. Never liked those 2 hour cartoon films as a kid, and have not watched one in 40 years. People are like, 'You have to see Frozen, etc..........No thanks, not interested.

It would be something funny. I see alot of Shawshank Redemption on this list. . To me a great film but numerous depressing scenes.

I would want something that makes me laugh. And laugh often. I would think laughter is a rarity on a desert island.

Holy Grail, Ferris, Snatch........something, hard choice. But a comedy for sure.

Most remakes are horrible and rarely improve the original. For every 10 remakes 8 are horrible.

I actually know this because this was recent. Fletch and Rounders. 2 very different 90 minute films. Always stick to the 90 minute rule on a 3 hour plane ride, so you can complete the film.

Did you see Fletch on a plane in like 1986?

• Like 2

I cant remember my first movie. It may have been Saturday Night Fever or it may have been Herbie Rides Again/The Apple Dumpling Gang at a drive-in.

Desert Island flick is definitely Goodfellas. Never gets old.

Cry? Probably Shawshank. Also never gets old.

Last time I was on a plane I saw the urban version of Death at A Funeral. When discovered their dad was havinf an affair with Peter Dinklage...

Martin Lawrence: You mean our daddy was on the downlow?

Chris Rock: Way down.

No last month..LOL

No last month..LOL

Must've been a time loop. ;)

All these other superhero movies being rebooted, and all these years later I'm still waiting on a Wolverine who isn't a leading-man type. I'd rather see Cyclops be the leading-man, and Wolvie be the angry short-arse I've loved since childhood

Same here but X1 and the positioning of those characters in it were safer. Wolverine IS the cash cow. X1's success lead to the Spidey film then all the others. So though X1 could've been way better (especially in the way you're suggesting), perhaps it was all for the best.

First: Can't remember the title, but it was some Japanese flick with two monsters, a brown and a green one. :huh:

Cry: Dune. Don't know exactly why it overwhelms me that much. Maybe it's the fantastic soundtrack from Brian Eno and Toto. :wub:

Hate: Star Wars episodes. The first three were the religion of my youth. :madra:

Island: Cloud Atlas :yes:

Remake: not a fan :no:

Plane: On my way to LA I tried to watch that Wall Street shit with DiCaprio. Fell asleep after the first 40-50 mins. :cool:

• Like 1

First movie I saw: Dirty Dancing. Not my choice though...

Movie that makes me cry: Depends - live action or animated.

Movie everyone loves that I hate: ET.

Desert Island Movie: Westworld.

Movie remake : Westworld - I'd like to see how different it would look.

Westworld is actually my second choice for a remake

That would be fascinating, though there's meant to be a trailer for it, but it's billed as a fake trailer. I quite like that.

It was being remade as an HBO series. Not sure what happened...