The Oldies Thread For TRF Old Timers!

Lorraine

The Guess Who - Hand me Down World

I had forgotten all about this song too.

I used to love the Guess Who. Had tickets to see them at the Fillmore but never went.

Why didn't you go?

i got into a fight with the person I was supposed to go with.

I kept the ticket in my wallet for years.

• Like 1

I used to love the Guess Who. Had tickets to see them at the Fillmore but never went.

Why didn't you go?

Was it a physical fight or just an argument?

Why didn't you go?

A physical fight????? :o

I was only in one in my entire life, and that was with some grammar school taunting bully in the schoolyard.

No, it was an argument. I was only 16 and a junior, and, while I didn't mind traveling alone going to the concert, I did have concerns walking from the concert to the subway station through the East Village and then having to travel the rest of the way home by myself close to midnight or later.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Why didn't you go?

A physical fight????? :o

I was only in one in my entire life, and that was with some grammar school taunting bully in the schoolyard.

No, it was an argument. I was only 16 and a junior, and, while I didn't mind traveling alone going to the concert, I did have concerns walking from the concert to the subway station through the East Village and then having to travel the rest of the way home by myself close to midnight or later.

it sucks you couldn't go. But you made a wise decision.

• Like 1

Canadianice, that's a great song. I don't think I ever heard it before. Reminds me of something Traffic would have done.

Yes it is. This has been a favorite of mine since it,s release, Burton,s vocals on this are outstanding.
  • Like 1

Canadianice, that's a great song. I don't think I ever heard it before. Reminds me of something Traffic would have done.

Yes it is. This has been a favorite of mine since it,s release, Burton,s vocals on this are outstanding.

What a great band.

http://youtu.be/223ge81zXMk

• Like 1

Heard this golden oldie this morning in Walmart:

http://youtu.be/GQ9Nm_c3GVY

Some days these old songs just break my heart remembering what once was. Today was one of those days. I burst into tears listening to this one.

Good lord, Lorraine! Maybe your blood sugar was low or Wal-Mart was giving you the heebie-jeebies.

The lyrics in that one don't help that much either!

At least you didn't lose it to this:

Hope you're feeling much improved!

http://youtu.be/GQ9Nm_c3GVY

Some days these old songs just break my heart remembering what once was. Today was one of those days. I burst into tears listening to this one.

Good lord, Lorraine! Maybe your blood sugar was low or Wal-Mart was giving you the heebie-jeebies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8tdmaEhMHE

I hope the rest of your day went better, Lorraine! Sometimes things grab me at times too and I cannot believe the number of years that have passed.

vt, what a find! This made me laugh out loud. Did no cameraman, soundman, etc know what a toke was? I guess they just didn't want to admit it since the Lawrence Welk show was their employer! :D

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8tdmaEhMHE

I hope the rest of your day went better, Lorraine! Sometimes things grab me at times too and I cannot believe the number of years that have passed.

vt, what a find! This made me laugh out loud. Did no cameraman, soundman, etc know what a toke was? I guess they just didn't want to admit it since the Lawrence Welk show was their employer! :D

You got it! He even calls it a "modern spiritual" at the end!

Myron Floren looks and sounds like he had a toke before that introduction :LOL:

I grew up with this stuff, and was entertained by it as a youngster. LW always had a great band, despite the oft-times corny arrangements they had to deal with.

t56085200-b712109553_s400.jpg

:smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

• Like 2

That's just it - I was about 11 when the song came out and will be 63 next week. I started thinking about my mother and father, aunts and uncles, grandparents, my brother ... all were alive and well then, and gone now.

Walmart has a good radio station. I don't care for the store at all and loathe going there, but they are a lot cheaper on many items, and not by a few cents either. By a few dollars often. I bought one item today that was $3 cheaper in Walmart than at the other store I normally shop at. That's a gallon of gas.

• Like 3