"5150" Should Have Been A "5250." The Boyz Needed 2 More Weeks To Figure This Record Out! Sammy Tries Too Hard To Be Dave. JMO

RUSHHEAD666

Well I gave in tonight and put on "5150."

An album I adored when I was a senior in high school. I played that fuckking record until it started skipping.

Still after all of these decades I still can't say why I loved it so much when it came out.

Way too many keyboards. Thanks Eddie.

As for Sammy man I love they guy on the first two Montrose albums. His Capital years albums are great too.

But why the fukk would the Van Halen boys hire Sammy?

I heard a rumor that Eddie wanted Sammy before Dave but Warner Brothers wouldn't let Sammy out of his Montrose contract.

Anywho this album isn't bad. It's just not great. In my humble pie opinio

Man, Sammy tries to sound like Roth. Makes me sick. "Rack of what? Well I'll have some of that."

So lame.

Alex became Neil Peart Jr on the drums and went electronic and organic. Pathetic.

Van Halen combined with electronic Simmons Pads is like shooting a Nathan's hot dog down a haunted hallway. It just doesn't make any fukking sense.

It's big, it's useless and it sure as hell ain't tight.

Then again what do I know?

It's all about "Hot Summer Nights."

"Love Walks In?"

Never again in my life.

I like it...it's the best Van Hagar album. Eddie's solos on Dreams are worth the whole album IMO. Check out the livre version of 5150, Earl. Eddie goes insane - in a good way, I mean. Important distinction when it comes to EVH.
  • Like 1

Hey Earl.

I just got through a Van Hagar binge myself. I enjoy it, although I prefer the Roth era. 5150 and For Unlawful are my two favorite albums from that line up. The title track is probably my favorite off the 5150 album.

Listen to the lyrics of Love Walks In again, my friend. Although Sammy is a pretty mediocre lyricist in my book, I've always thought that song talks about love surprising you. And I believe it does.

5150 is my favorite Van Halen album. It was the bands first #1 album so that's saying something. Recruiting Sammy was the best thing Van Halen ever did. Sammy and Eddie were a great song writing team. Edited by Mr. JD
  • Like 3

5150 is my favorite Van Halen album. It was the bands first #1 album so that's saying something. Recruiting Sammy was the best the Van Halen ever did. Sammy and Eddie were a great song writing team.

Case in point:

• Like 3

Were you shitting on Neil in your OP?

Anyway, I used to like Van Hagar, until I realised what an egotistical cun't that Sammy Hagar was.

5150 is my favorite Van Halen album. It was the bands first #1 album so that's saying something. Recruiting Sammy was the best the Van Halen ever did. Sammy and Eddie were a great song writing team.

Case in point:

This is my favorite Hagar era song. And a great example of eddies genius rythm playing. Yeah, he smokes the solo, but listen to his rythm. No way an yngwie type player would play anything as cool as this.

• Like 3

I love these three tunes. :haz:

Judgement Day

Pleasure Dome

Poundcake

I like that album in general. Poundcake remains it's standout, regardless of the "subtlety" of its lyrics.

The recording is excellent. JMO.

• Like 1