Anyone attend a meet and greet?

bill1971

I won a meet & greet in July 2007 as part of some radio contest. I was able to bring one friend and apparently so was about 20 other people. We were led to a large conference room about 90 mins before the show. There was enough people to cover the parameter of 3 walls. Right before Geddy and Alex came in we were told we could shake their hand, pose for 2 pictures and then basically leave. We weren't allowed to ask them to sign anything or chit chat. Although most of us took a minute to say how much we appreciated them and their music, and they were very polite and gracious, but it was quick. When it was my turn I shook their hand, posed for the picture then turned to each of them and shook their hand again to tell them I was a huge fan and what an honor it is to meet them. They both smiled and were like "Thanks, that's nice to hear!" It was brief but still incredibly cool to shake the hands that made all of that amazing music.
  • Like 3

My parents won a radio contest last tour. Walk in, smile, say hi, shake hands, take photo, leave. Took only a few minutes, but they still loved it. Edited by RiflemanWI

Actual time spent with Alex and Geddy is about a minute or less.

Wait in line, a quick word, pose for photos, move along.

They really keep it moving along for the sake of time.

Keep in mind, this is done before the show and time is budgeted.

• Like 1

Like 40 people per meet and greet? Seems like it'd be nicer to pull a quality over quantity and cut the number of people down per show, so you could do more than snap a quick "hi, thanks, *pose for the pic, bye!"

from what I know, it's about like any other pre-arranged rock n roll meet-and-greet with fans. get your pic, get out. they ain't your friends.

I mean, I'd love to meet alex and geddy just to say "you guys rock!" or something, but the meet-and-greets seem a bit too "mall santa" to me. for all I know, I could've won a meet-up and didn't know it. I always enter the contest for fun and then I never check my email again.

• Like 2

from what I know, it's about like any other pre-arranged rock n roll meet-and-greet with fans. get your pic, get out. they ain't your friends.

I mean, I'd love to meet alex and geddy just to say "you guys rock!" or something, but the meet-and-greets seem a bit too "mall santa" to me. for all I know, I could've won a meet-up and didn't know it. I always enter the contest for fun and then I never check my email again.

Mall Santa. Good analogy.

• Like 3

Still would like to meet them anyhow. I saw Living Colour at a small club last year. Afterwards they took pictures with fans, spoke with them at length, very cool guys. Will Calhoun, the drummer saw my Rush shirt and said he took his son to that tour(Time Machine).
  • Like 3

In 1992, In Indianapolis, I won two front row tickets with backstage meet and greets for after the show. I was with two friends on the lawn when the tickets were given away. (Some kind of canned food drive promotion). Although I had to choose which friend would accompany me to the front, they allowed all three of us to come back to meet Alex and Geddy for autographs and pictures. I was the "Grand Prize Winner" so they separated us from the radio station winners. About 30 minutes after the show ended, Alex and Geddy came in and walked over to us. I was wearing a Ren and Stimpy t-shirt and Alex pointed to it and said "What eeez it man?" in the accent of Ren. We chatted for about 5 minutes and they signed two Roll The Bones posters and posed for two pictures with us. Then they moved on to the radio winners. It was pretty laid back, but that was 1992. Sounds like it is much more regimented now and done before the show starts.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/mandydog1001/thepic_zpsclggf6ry.jpg

That's me next to Alex. The girl is my cousin and the tall guy in the back is my unfortunate friend who had to stay on the lawn while her and I were front row center!

Edited by mandydog
  • Like 2

Here's my signed poster, with the meet/greet pass and front row ticket framed.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/mandydog1001/0a12806d-07f9-42f6-8987-093872d1e54a_zpsygucqo43.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/mandydog1001/cb095dd2-398b-459e-a1f2-c9a3cb901ca0_zps9jybmlqj.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/mandydog1001/f6f73754-698d-4ec0-a7f3-0220e27ce618_zpsyapfzpqu.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/mandydog1001/6afd5a9a-5425-47e5-b650-0b7e65c7c82b_zpsdwxkhvmw.jpg

Edited by mandydog
  • Like 1

One thing that was emphasized before my meet and greet was "do not pass along any of your own songs to them." I thought about it and it must be a nightmare for them to get songs from fans, and worry if the fan will try to sure them for using a snippet. So they're very clear on that point - no written music.