The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

BTW I love Janet Jackson so don't take that as a diss.

BTW I love Janet Jackson so don't take that as a diss.

i loved janet's songs way more then any Beyonce though.

think i have a Janet album somewhere. lol

Mick

Talking songs, no. Talking entire albums, HELL YEAH!

Again I'd take Rihanna and Aaliyah over them both.

I missed Toto.

I didn't realise I did until I put this album on.

• Like 1

I missed Toto.

i was saything they should be my fav.

because i can put them on whenever and enjoy them.

very few bands are like that with me.

Mick

I missed Toto.

Mick

Same! In fact lately I've been wondering if Nightwish have become my favourite. Last year was basically the YEAR OF NIGHTWISH!

And now I am replaying Toto I can honestly say I feel the same as you.

Maybe if I put LC nostalgia aside I can with a level head say Nightwish and Toto mean far more to me that I ever realised.

I want to get the Rock Candy remasters of the first seven Toto albums. They come with interviews and bonus tracks and essays/photographs. Also they always nail the remastering of their albums. I have the Strangeways and Trillion Rock Candy reissues and they are stunning (I also have Native Sons on vinyl and can tell you it's a beast on my player (I sound like a snob)).

Forget tags. Toto is a phenomenal band in any genre.

• Like 1

I missed Toto.

Mick

Same! In fact lately I've been wondering if Nightwish have become my favourite. Last year was basically the YEAR OF NIGHTWISH!

Maybe if I put LC nostalgia aside I can with a level head say Nightwish and Toto mean far more to me that I ever realised.

I want to get the Rock Candy remasters of the first seven Toto albums. They come with interviews and bonus tracks and essays/photographs. Also they always nail the remastering of their albums. I have the Strangeways and Trillion Rock Candy reissues and they are stunning (I also have Native Sons on vinyl and can tell you it's a beast on my player (I sound like a snob)).

And you know what i noticed about Toto. But every vocalist is different. i don't if you notoiced this about AOR but i swear most seem to go for the Steve perry vocal clone. not every band. but most do, lol

or rather a lot do.

Mick

I missed Toto.

Mick

And you know what i noticed about Toto. But every vocalist is different. i don't if you notoiced this about AOR but i swear most seem to go for the Steve perry vocal clone. not every band. but most do, lol

or rather a lot do.

Mick

Yeah. None of the vocalists from Toto have ever tried to emulate the ones that came before.

• Like 1

I missed Toto.

Mick

or rather a lot do.

Mick

Shoot me but I dislike Steve Perry's voice so much. He has a horrid tone. Not keen...give me top form Bobby Kimball or Lou Gramm anyday.

Or Fergie Fredriksen. Whose voice may not be my favourite but I enjoy way more than I ever could Perry.

I love Kimball on these early albums. I underrated him.

• Like 1

I missed Toto.

Mick

or rather a lot do.

Mick

Yeah. None of the vocalists from Toto have ever tried to emulate the ones that came before.

One of my favourite things about this band. And to be fair they also never tried to repeat themselves.

I missed Toto.

Mick

or rather a lot do.

Mick

And i love ever singer in their own way.

even Bobby Kimball when he was actually singing.

i take it back Btw......Fergie was their only Perry clone.

but i forgive them.

Mick

I missed Toto.

Mick

or rather a lot do.

Mick

but i forgive them.

Mick

Nah his voice was too strong and his career predates Perry's icon status so...nope.

I missed Toto.

Mick

or rather a lot do.

Mick

but i forgive them.

Mick

Nah his voice was too strong and his career predates Perry's icon status so...nope.

yup....same tone dude same..........tone. but squeaky-er.........i know he pre-dates him but still identical.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

I missed Toto.

Mick

or rather a lot do.

Mick

but i forgive them.

Mick

yup....same tone dude same..........tone. but squeaky-er

Mick

Nah I am not disagreeing they are similar I just think it's unfair to call him a clone when he had his own thing going on.

And I will say his work with Le Roux has lost its appeal. I replayed the album (title escapes me) and it was unpleasant. I also played some (not great quality) live Toto stuff with him up front and he was very inconsistent.

But Trillion's debut and Isolation are two of my very favourite albums Nd I love the two solo records he released before his untimely death.

But yeah...he no longer ranks at the top.

I think I'd rank the Toto singers:

1. Kimble

2. Joseph

3. Lukather

4. Paich

5. Fergie

Byron can eat my poo.

I missed Toto.

Mick

or rather a lot do.

Mick

but i forgive them.

Mick

Mick

Nah I am not disagreeing they are similar I just think it's unfair to call him a clone when he had his own thing going on.

And I will say his work with Le Roux has lost its appeal. I replayed the album (title escapes me) and it was unpleasant. I also played some (not great quality) live Toto stuff with him up front and he was very inconsistent.

But Trillion's debut and Isolation are two of my very favourite albums Nd I love the two solo records he released before his untimely death.

1. Kimble

2. Joseph

3. Lukather

4. Paich

5. Fergie

Byron can eat my poo.

Kimball number 1......wow-zers

Mine

1. Joe

2. Steve

3. Paitch

4. Kimball

5. Fergie

Mick

Funny...two very comparable singers and yet we seem to like one over the other.

But another underrated vocalist tops them both and is very comparable:

Terry Brock of Strangeways.

• Like 1

I missed Toto.

Mick

or rather a lot do.

Mick

but i forgive them.

Mick

Mick

1. Kimble

2. Joseph

3. Lukather

4. Paich

5. Fergie

Byron can eat my poo.

Mine

1. Joe

2. Steve

3. Paitch

4. Kimball

5. Fergie

Mick

I rank him number one based solely on his peak years in the studio, the first four albums.

Where I went wrong before was focusing too much attention on Mindfields, Falling In Between and the live DVD's.

But his voice is so special on the early records and, let's face it, he is far more distinctive than any of the other vocalists.

Williams is a phenomenal singer but truth be told, I think he blends into the background. As much as I love Fahrenheit my favourite song is Lukather's and what seals the deal for me is Miles Davis on Don't Stop Me Now.

And on XIV Paich has my favourite vocals.

• Like 1

i thought Strangeways was riding the Journey Train too. Very perry on Native Sons

Still love the album though.

Mick

I missed Toto.

Mick

or rather a lot do.

Mick

but i forgive them.

Mick

Mick

1. Kimble

2. Joseph

3. Lukather

4. Paich

5. Fergie

Byron can eat my poo.

Mine

1. Joe

2. Steve

3. Paitch

4. Kimball

5. Fergie

Mick

I rank him number one based solely on his peak years in the studio, the first four albums.

Where I went wrong before was focusing too much attention on Mindfields, Falling In Between and the live DVD's.

But his voice is so special on the early records and, let's face it, he is far more distinctive than any of the other vocalists.

Williams is a phenomenal singer but truth be told, I think he blends into the background. As much as I love Fahrenheit my favourite song is Lukather's and what seals the deal for me is Miles Davis on Don't Stop Me Now.

Kimball was great on those 4. Very Scaggs like on the Debut.

Then he broke into his own on the next 3.

Joe has it for me.

He's the toto voice for me.

Mick

i thought Strangeways was riding the Journey Train too. Very perry on Native Sons

Still love the album though.

Mick

My issue with Journey is the songs don't cut it. I truly mean that...some good stuff but rarely great in my opinion.

So when other bands took aspects of their sound I could really dig it if the songs were great. And Strangeways are everything I wanted Journey to be.

I own five Journey albums, and play to complete the collection as I do like them. But yeah...

I missed Toto.

Mick

or rather a lot do.

Mick

but i forgive them.

Mick

Mick

1. Kimble

2. Joseph

3. Lukather

4. Paich

5. Fergie

Byron can eat my poo.

Mine

1. Joe

2. Steve

3. Paitch

4. Kimball

5. Fergie

Mick

Kimball was great on those 4. Very Scaggs like on the Debut.

Then he broke into his own on the next 3.

Joe has it for me.

He's the toto voice for me.

Mick

Once I get to Fehrenheit and The Seventh One and then the Poland DVD and XIV I am sure the tables will turn!

Playing Hydra now. I used to really slate this album but much like Fly By Night or Signals it's worming it's way into my favourites rapidly!

White Sister on the Poland DVD...I had no idea what the song was but it blew me away! So I thought it was a cover but NOOOOO it was a splendid new take on this old Hydra track...so thank's to that I started playing this again!

I'm Gonna skip around.

gonna try isolation next.

See what my ears say now.

lol

Mick

If you don't like it it's fine.

But play Endless on its own. Ignore the rest of the album.

It's killer. And you said it blended in too much...SO ISOLATE IT!

Lol isolate the tracks on Isolation haha

• Like 1

Hydra could have done with a punchier production...or is it that the CD transfer is just a little flat?

Never realised how awesome Mama is.

• Like 1

Hydra could have done with a punchier production...or is it that the CD transfer is just a little flat?

Never realised how awesome Mama is.

Mama.....all us boys......99......Hydra.

it is chock full of goodies.

Mick

• Like 1