The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

In time, but I don't really want to get into Dylan at this point. Another day!

Great DT pun, lol

Mick

I am hear all day. Come along for the ride!

• Like 1

Great DT pun, lol

Mick

I am hear all day. Come along for the ride!

that song......Another is perfect early 90's cheese.....love it. Saxophone and all.

Mick

I really, really, REALLY like the new Justin Bieber album! Haters gonna hate, but in all fairness it is a really smooth, excellently produced and written pop album.

He is making the transition from teen idol to adult pop star with far more accomplishment than I think anyone had expected!

I don't care if the rock fans slate me. I appreciate all genres of music, and I give credit to artists I don't like when I think that credit is due.

Purpose is good stuff!

• Like 1

I really, really, REALLY like the new Justin Bieber album! Haters gonna hate, but in all fairness it is a really smooth, excellently produced and written pop album.

He is making the transition from teen idol to adult pop star with far more accomplishment than I think anyone had expected!

I don't care if the rock fans slate me. I appreciate all genres of music, and I give credit to artists I don't like when I think that credit is due.

Purpose is good stuff!

I liked the single. But i dunno if it impressed me enough to check out the rest.

i might down the line.

Mick

I'm making today my official Dan listening day.

Watch out!!! ;) :cool:

Sometimes i think Segue is determined........making a mission not to like them :laughing guy:

i love the guy all the same Lorraine.

Mick

I know you do. :)

The Dan isn't for everyone. But the only time I ever got into an argument about music in real life was over the Dan with a snooty jazz musician.

Are you kidding???

What could be more profound than

:musicnote: Is there gas in the car?

Yes, there's gas in the caaaaarrr! :musicnote:

:wub:

you never gon' do it without the fez on.

who can't relate to that?

i've NEVER done it without the Fez on.

maybe Segue just needs a fez.

Mick

• Like 1

Get Segue a Fez for the holidays. Maybe you can get a good deal on Amazon.

Just put Pretzel Logic on. Always am first struck by the fullness of the sound. Why couldn't other bands do that?

the Dan made some of the best sounding records i own.

Crystal clear.

Mick

• Like 1

The one that always strikes me the most is Pretzel Logic, especially for the year it was produced.

Doesn't Donald sound like he's had one too many to drink when he sings some songs?. He's having trouble enunciating and sounds like he has an excess of saliva in his mouth.

Positives about Steely Dan:

Pristine, crystalline perfect production and mix.

Songwriting is consistent, and they explore a variety of sounds.

Singer cam sing.

Great musicianship.

Bad:

I hate that style of music, pure and simple. I hear why someone else would like them, but I honestly hate it. Naff, cheesy in the worst way, and far too vanilla.

Seriously, I love a lot of AOR and pop rock, but that kind of music that Steely Dan made is what drove me away from my parents music collection and straight into heavy metal. I hate it, and the more its pushed on me the more I abhore it!

I hear so much to appreciate, but I don't listen to music to dissect the greatness, I listen to music because I enjoy it. Some bands intrigue me enough to give them a real chance, like Yes did or even Tull. Others, like Nightwish, didn't blow me away at first but had tidbits of music that saw me come back again and again until it clicked. Recently, my casual interest in Dream Theater finally blew up into something I can actually call love. But again, from day one, the music...not the bells and whistles of a great producer, but the music and songs, are what kept me returning more and more.

Steely Dan have great sounding records. The music? Nothing there to bring me back. Sorry...just nothing. I played almost every single seventies release, some two or three times, almost purchased them but I just HATED the experience! I was waiting for it to click but I just wanted the music to end. Aja has a great sound, and Katy Lied was close to winning me over, but again, I can't live with them, but I can live without them. I tried really hard.

I love a wide variety of music, and very few artists rub me up the wrong way as much as Steely Dan. I honestly grew up with those sorts of sounds in the background, and I hated it then, and I hate it now!

Of course, I have to praise those positives, and Aja honestly struck me as a really good album. But it isn't one I care to own, or to listen too again.

Other artists in the same boat are: Dire Straights, Eagles, U2, Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd. These are all bands I highly respect, but truly dislike, for the simple fact that I get no entertainment value from them, regardless of how well crafted, ambitious, groundbreaking, or complex their music is.

Scoff at Bon Jovi all you like, or how boring Springsteen is, or how much I overrate Toto...but I love those bands, an awful lot. And all three, six years ago, would have been so far out of my comfort zone I would never have given them a chance beyond one or two songs, never mind the endless run of disappointing listens I had with Steely Dan (blame Rumours, Darkness On The Edge Of Town and Moving Pictures on my getting into music that wasn't heavy metal or post hardcore, or punk!).

I LOVE EVERYONE!!

• Like 1

And Bruce Springsteen's Chain Lightning blows both Steely Dan's and Rush's out of the water.

I went directly to that song because of the title (cheesy I know) and it fell flat.

On the other hand, I really enjoy Moody Blues (thanks Lorraine!) and stacks of artists you have introduced me to Mick, so woo woo!