The Camera Eye

sullysue

I have a soft spot in my heart for Moving Pictures. This album, IMO, is the shining jewel in Rush's crown. I listened to it so much that I had to stop listening to it. It isn't that I necessarily got burned out on it as much as I lost my appreciation of it. (OK, I guess I got burned out on it.)

The one track that I never get tired of listening to is "The Camera Eye." What a great show of musicianship. I'm not a big fan of the synthesiser, but it works like a charm on this track. The intro of "The Camera Eye" sets the tone of the rest of what's to come. But, the whole flow of this song just blows me away. The change-ups to fit the feeling of what's going on lyrically are brilliant. The guitar is never lost inside the synths. Instead, Alex finds a way to work with them, to follow them and work in unison. It's amazing. Musically, this is such a great piece of art.

I know I sound goofy, but I do urge you all to don your headphones, put this track on and tell me that I'm wrong. Actively listen to it and get into it. It's really great.

trink39.gif -SS

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 13 2005, 02:56 AM)
I have a soft spot in my heart for Moving Pictures. This album, IMO, is the shining jewel in Rush's crown. I listened to it so much that I had to stop listening to it. It isn't that I necessarily got burned out on it as much as I lost my appreciation of it. (OK, I guess I got burned out on it.)

The one track that I never get tired of listening to is "The Camera Eye." What a great show of musicianship. I'm not a big fan of the synthesiser, but it works like a charm on this track. The intro of "The Camera Eye" sets the tone of the rest of what's to come. But, the whole flow of this song just blows me away. The change-ups to fit the feeling of what's going on lyrically are brilliant. The guitar is never lost inside the synths. Instead, Alex finds a way to work with them, to follow them and work in unison. It's amazing. Musically, this is such a great piece of art.

I know I sound goofy, but I do urge you all to don your headphones, put this track on and tell me that I'm wrong. Actively listen to it and get into it. It's really great.

trink39.gif -SS

They seem oblivious

To a soft spring rain,

Like an English rain

So light, yet endless

From a leaden sky

I love this song SullySue smile.gif

but then again i love them all 653.gif

what's amazing about it to me is how you keep rediscovering it over time. I'll put it into my personnel rotation list for awhile and then move onto something else. later, I'll stick it on and the "WOW" factor is there all over again. just like the first time I truly heard it.

to me that's why the work is genuis.

Never fear SullySue, TCE has long been one of my alltime favorites!

Moving Pictures was the second Rush album that I got (Christmas, 1983). Due to MTV, I was already familiar with Vital Signs, Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, and Limelight.

So, the three other songs (TCE, YYZ, and WH) were "new" to my ears and I fell in love with all three.

I associate TCE with my interest in astronomy. The song evokes images in my mind of constellations, bright planets, etc...

That same Christmas I got my first pair of binoculars and I still remember that pleasant smell of the carrying case.

So yeah, TCE is close to my heart and brings back wonderful memories of my going out at as early as 4:00 in the morning to find specific constellations that were only visible at that hour.

Like most of my favorite tunes, there's some memory or association connected with them. Hence, they're my faves. cool.gif

One of my favorites. I agree that MP is a fantastic album, and The Camera Eye is a stunning musical masterpiece. It's the only song that's over 10 minutes long that I actually really liked. Geddy's vocal work on this song is incredible, along with the guitar.

Edited to add that I LOVE when the guitar kicks in during the intro. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 13 2005, 11:38 AM)
QUOTE (Sark @ Aug 13 2005, 07:56 AM)
Yet it doesn't get played live. What a crime!

Wouldn't it be awesome to hear live? Wow....

I have a live version on my computer. It's pretty good. 653.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 13 2005, 03:38 PM)

I remember them playing half of it the first time I saw them (Wembley Arena, ESL tour, November 1981), just doing the 'London' verse and yes, it was awesome.

'Burning out on Moving Pictures'? Is this possible?

I've owned it since about 1983 and I've never got sick of it.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Aug 13 2005, 01:47 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 13 2005, 03:38 PM)

I remember them playing half of it the first time I saw them (Wembley Arena, ESL tour, November 1981), just doing the 'London' verse and yes, it was awesome.

'Burning out on Moving Pictures'? Is this possible?

I've owned it since about 1983 and I've never got sick of it.

Ditto, their best album.

I also saw them play it in 81, it wasn't too bad.

TCE is a decent song, not in my top 10 or anything but it's cool since it's rush. If I could make up a dream setlist of 3 hours of Rush for the next tour, to be honest, I wouldn't include this one. But everyone has their own opinions which is cool, we all have our personal faves.

That being said, theres only 2 (3 tops) Rush songs that I don't like.

You bet your life

face up

Kind of funny they both are on the same album.

confused13.gif

TCE is right near the top of my all time favorite songs by any band, anytime, anywhere, etc. As Sue said, it is simply a musical masterpiece. The dynamics of this songs never fail to blow me away. Particularly after the extended intro when the songs "kicks in." It still gives me goosebumps. Alex's solo fits the song perfectly. It is, imo, one of the solos that just "fits" in a song so well. Everything about that solo reflects the imagery and musical dymanics of the song. Lyrically, I think it is one of the most vivid, image evoking pieces Neil has ever written. I can see that leaden sky, that soft spring rain, the pavements teeming, etc. I'm getting goosebumps writing this laugh.gif

I have been in love with this song since it's release. I never grow tired of it and it always leaves me wanting more. I just can't tell you guys how much this song means to me and how much I love it.

My one regret is never seeing it performed live. How I wish I could have. I have seen it performed on some DVD boots from the Signals tour and I sadly have to say that for some reason, this song just doesn't seem to go over well live from the one performace I have seen. This completely baffles me. I just don't understand why the magic from the studio doesn't transfer over to the live show. After much anger at the boys not including TCE in the R30 set list given what a huge fan favorite it is, I have to say I'm beginning to understand their reluctance to perform this song live. Sadly, I'll never see it performed. But I can still enjoy it over and over again in my cd player.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 13 2005, 01:56 AM)

trink39.gif -SS

I have to agree with you. MP is my overall favorite Rush cd and The Camera Eye would be a great song to include on the next live cd.

QUOTE (endlesslymocking @ Aug 14 2005, 09:56 AM)
Strange, I would rather listen to By-tor and the Snow Dog or Xanadu if I had ten minutes to listen to one Rush song.

I just don't enjoy it by itself.

BUT as a component of Moving Pictures it is very good and I will never skip it.

That's the great thing about Rush. If you don't care for one song, they have plenty more to choose from. 2.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Aug 14 2005, 05:45 AM)
QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Aug 14 2005, 02:05 AM)
Strange because the Exit..Stage Right boot version is, in my opinion, fantastic

I concur..it was turned out great live at that show 1022.gif

Well, I'm just going to have to get it then, aren't I? biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Aug 13 2005, 09:40 PM)
TCE is right near the top of my all time favorite songs by any band, anytime, anywhere, etc. As Sue said, it is simply a musical masterpiece. The dynamics of this songs never fail to blow me away. Particularly after the extended intro when the songs "kicks in." It still gives me goosebumps. Alex's solo fits the song perfectly. It is, imo, one of the solos that just "fits" in a song so well. Everything about that solo reflects the imagery and musical dymanics of the song. Lyrically, I think it is one of the most vivid, image evoking pieces Neil has ever written. I can see that leaden sky, that soft spring rain, the pavements teeming, etc. I'm getting goosebumps writing this  laugh.gif

I have been in love with this song since it's release. I never grow tired of it and it always leaves me wanting more. I just can't tell you guys how much this song means to me and how much I love it.

My one regret is never seeing it performed live. How I wish I could have. I have seen it performed on some DVD boots from the Signals tour and I sadly have to say that for some reason, this song just doesn't seem to go over well live from the one performace I have seen. This completely baffles me. I just don't understand why the magic from the studio doesn't transfer over to the live show. After much anger at the boys not including TCE in the R30 set list given what a huge fan favorite it is, I have to say I'm beginning to understand their reluctance to perform this song live. Sadly, I'll never see it performed. But I can still enjoy it over and over again in my cd player.

SNOW - I was just about to click submit when I saw your post on my screen. So I had to go back and quote this. Your first paragraph NAILS it!! cool.gif So have so many others - but I can't quote them all.

Man, I just friggin' love this song. It was the first of the Rush "long-form" songs I've ever listened to - and maybe because of this reason - it remains my favorite of all of them.

Moving Pictures, imo, is one of the greatest 'sounding' records in history. There is so much separation and dynamics in the music that it transports me. Each instrument is a completely independent performance which sounds like a song within itself, and yet as an ensemble it's amazing how the three of them merge seamlessly together and collectively kick my ass.

The energy build up on The Camera Eye is nothing short of astounding. After that lengthly build-up on the extended intro, when Neil slams those floor toms and Alex hits that first power chord, it's that feeling you get when you explode down the first hill of your favorite rollercoaster. A total adrenaline surge like you've just repelled off a high rise building.

And the way the lyrics flow with the music, I always feel like I'm perched 20 stories over a crowded avenue in NYC or London - getting an aerial view of all that's happening. The hustle and bustle of the thousands upon thousands who scurry along from one place to the next.

When I was a kid, I used to listen to this song over and over while I sat at my desk in my bedroom doing my homework. It was one of those old stereo units where you had the tuner with all the knobs and buttons on the front face, and on the far left would be an 8-track slot. Then on top would sit the turntable with the removable dust cover. I used to use that cover as a trap for my superhero action figures. It was awesome. I also remember that one night I was flipping the dust cover in the air and catching it. But one time I missed and it landed on top of my Moving Pictures record, smashing it into a hundred pieces. I had to go out and buy a new one.

Anyway, TCE is one of my all time favorite Rush tunes. It's the fastest 11 minutes I've ever spent. It goes by so quickly. I would have fallenl out of my skin if they played that during the R30 tour. While I LOVED the setlist, I wish they would have dragged out more tunes like they did with Between The Wheels. For a 30th Anniversary, more of the lesser played tunes would have been wild, and this one would have scored huge. But, as far as I've read or heard... each time they consider this song - it just doesn't satisfy them enough to do show after show. And when they have to consider a 10+ minute song, I suppose it has to be held to a higher standard than the others.

Ok - one more thing. Moonraker once mentioned a really cool moment in the song, which I thought was really cool since it's one of my favorite moments as well. Check it out.

Great 'sounds' in the songs

OK - so I had to run to the store just after my previous post on this and of course, I blasted The Camera Eye. I had forgotten to mention how, of all Rush songs, this one sounds the most sophisticated. Like... Top Shelf Rush. laugh.gif

Edited to say thanks to Sue for such a rockin' thread. 653.gif

hey thanks very much sullysue, i haven't listened to the camera eye in ages. you're right it can only be described as a piece of art, i am truly amazed by it

QUOTE (R.G @ Aug 14 2005, 02:46 PM)
hey thanks very much sullysue, i haven't listened to the camera eye in ages. you're right it can only be described as a piece of art, i am truly amazed by it

biggrin.gif You have a good ear for great music, C.P.

Pags,

Next time you go to Coney Island to board the roller coaster there, bring your headset and listen to the Camera Eye as you go down that first hill! laugh.gif

That is a great description comparing it to a roller coaster. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 14 2005, 02:54 PM)
QUOTE (R.G @ Aug 14 2005, 02:46 PM)

biggrin.gif You have a good ear for great music, C.P.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif thanks very much, only when told where to listen trink39.gif

Archived