Favourite Peter Gabriel-era Genesis Song.( Excluding Supper's READY )

Red Dwarf

The Knife

The Knife was one of the first Gabriel-era Genesis songs I heard in the early 80's, after a guitar teacher lent me his copy of Genesis Live so I could learn it on bass. Thinking back, that was a pretty incredible introduction to the band.

Watcher of the Skies

Got into Genesis in early 2010 and the first time I heard Watcher of the Skies I had it on repeat a number of times. That song blew my mind like Scanners.

A few years ago I looked up those opening chords--they are some weird, weird chords--and taught myself to play the intro part on keys. The first chord I played sent shivers up my spine.

Edited by gudbuytjane

Supper's Ready sucks, btw.

Okay, I won't go as far as saying it sucks :) but I do have to admit parts of the song have not aged as well as others for me. I think As sure as Eggs is Eggs is the greatest, most transcendent thing the band has ever done, but truthfully I usually start listening at Apocalypse in 9/8 (that pretty guitar and flute bit that's either the end of Willow Farm or the beginning of Apocalypse). I love the first part, and the The Guarenteed Eternal Sanctuary Man, but that whole battle bit and the aftermath bore me. And Willow Farm seems less amazing to me now than it did when I first heard it. But, yeah, everything after that is incredible.

Other Supper's Ready thoughts: It's interesting that they rehearsed doing Apocalypse in 9/8 and As Sure as Eggs is Eggs on their own for the ...And Then There Were Three tour, but didn't end up doing it (there is a version on a rehearsal bootleg out there if folks are curious). They did a full Supper's Ready on the 1982 Three Sides Live tour, but honestly I really don't like Daryl Stuermer's playing on it. It kind of ruins the finale part for me, which is the whole point for me anyway. I like his playing on the later 70's material, but he couldn't replace those really fluid, string-like parts Hackett could do. Oh, they also did the finale two sections for the Invisible Touch tour, as part of the In The Cage medley. Mostly it feels really out of place in a set that is mostly pop songs by that point.

Edited by gudbuytjane

Also, most honorable of honorable mentions: Return of The Giant Hogweed. Damn that song is so fun, and what a guitar solo, plus what an intense finale. I have a bootleg somewhere of them performing it in Italy in 1971 or 72, and Gabriel introduces it by screaming the title: "RETURN OF THE GIANT HOGWEED!!!" and it actually sets up the song quite successfully. :)
  • Like 3

Just listened to "Return of The Giant Hogweed" today. 8 minutes and 9 seconds of pure musical and lyrical genius.

The two live versions ("Sound of the Seventies" and "In Concert") for the BBC are simply amazing.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/su3IVhARHzI/hqdefault.jpg

• Like 4

I got sunshine in my stomach

Like I just rocked my baby to sleep

I got chills running down my spine

Like I just listened to In The Cage

• Like 3

Hmm... this is almost impossible. My favorite Genesis song is forever changing because I love and cherish each song equally; it just depends on the mood I'm in. Right now I'm greatly attached to Visions Of Angels and The Lamia.

I love your signature!

"Undertow" is my favourite song on "...and Then There Were Three..."

I remember when I first heard that song when I was 15 way back in 1978.

The lyrics, "If this were the last day of your life, my friend

Tell me, what do you think you would do then?"

It was the first time in my life that I had ever thought about my own mortality.

That song is sung with such conviction.

That whole album is just brilliant.

• Like 1