Sampling: is it considered "cheating"?

fraroc

Except for a sting section...do you want to see someone else on stage? (or heck OFF stage like a few people did years back?)

I don't even want to see Sting up there, let alone a whole section of him...

• Like 5

Except for a sting section...do you want to see someone else on stage? (or heck OFF stage like a few people did years back?)

:LMAO:
  • Like 3

More than a few of my friends who have joined me for Rush concerts have commented that they felt like they were hearing someone play the album at high volume (meaning, there wasn't enough improvisation or changes to the songs and they sounded too much like the studio versions). I tend to agree, though it was a little better last tour. I'd prefer them to arrange a version to play live, though I won't say that the samples and sequencers are all bad.

I do note that in a lot of boots from the mid 80s to early 90s, the sampling and sequencing often sounds horribly out of place. They do a much better of integrating the sounds now.

They've always sounded like the album in concert. They're definitely not a "jam" band by any means. It's obviously been a source of pride for them to duplicate the studo work as closely as they can in concert. I applaud them for that, but it would be fun to hear some improv once in a while.

More than a few of my friends who have joined me for Rush concerts have commented that they felt like they were hearing someone play the album at high volume (meaning, there wasn't enough improvisation or changes to the songs and they sounded too much like the studio versions). I tend to agree, though it was a little better last tour. I'd prefer them to arrange a version to play live, though I won't say that the samples and sequencers are all bad.

I do note that in a lot of boots from the mid 80s to early 90s, the sampling and sequencing often sounds horribly out of place. They do a much better of integrating the sounds now.

They've always sounded like the album in concert. They're definitely not a "jam" band by any means. It's obviously been a source of pride for them to duplicate the studo work as closely as they can in concert. I applaud them for that, but it would be fun to hear some improv once in a while.

I think you need to go listen to ATWAS again. One of the reasons I gravitate to the early boots is because you get something different from each show. Even on the Hemispheres tour they were still experimenting with sounds in different places. But the transition from live band to band reproducing studio sounds happened just as the synths elbowed their way into the band's sound.

Haha. You got the before I did.

Zappa had Sting out to do Murder By Numbers at one of his shows (Chicago '88) and it was killer!!

• Like 2

Much of VT was never played live due to the near impossible task of recreating all those multi-layered guitar and bass parts!

And we have been forever grateful for that. :LOL:

• Like 2

I think you need to go listen to ATWAS again. One of the reasons I gravitate to the early boots is because you get something different from each show. Even on the Hemispheres tour they were still experimenting with sounds in different places. But the transition from live band to band reproducing studio sounds happened just as the synths elbowed their way into the band's sound.

Yes I know what you mean, but once MP came out I think they quit a lot of that (and the experimenting could have been more just seeing what worked, rather than jamming) and stuck to reproducing the album as closely as possible. Not that there's anything wrong with that. There are lots of bands who can't reproduce live what they did in the studio. Years ago you could always tell the great bands from the so-so ones because they were great in concert. You can polish up almost anything in the studio and make it sound decent.

It's not just about Lee though is it. There are masses of guitar parts that are basically played at the touch of a button. It's phoney and they are phoneys!

If they can't recreate it on stage honestly then why compose like that in the first place?

I hear you, but even going back to the debut album, their arrangements were impossible to play on stage as just a three piece. The thing is, back then if a part couldn't be reproduced on stage, the song didn't suffer that much.

It's not just about Lee though is it. There are masses of guitar parts that are basically played at the touch of a button. It's phoney and they are phoneys!

If they can't recreate it on stage honestly then why compose like that in the first place?

I hear you, but even going back to the debut album, their arrangements were impossible to play on stage as just a three piece. The thing is, back then if a part couldn't be reproduced on stage, the song didn't suffer that much.

Also if that were the case we'd never have heard Xanadu in concert, and that is just unacceptable.

My point is just this actually, if you're going to have a song with a cool lead synth like Grand Designs, I'd rather Ged would (at least until the "Different degrees" line) not play the bass, sample the bass part and play the synth part with the keyboard rather than the other way around. Songs like Force Ten or the background synths during the chorus of Distant Early Warning, because the bass is up front, I don't mind the triggered keyboard samples, but if the keyboard is the lead instrument, there is no reason why it shouldn't be played.

I can also say the same for Scars from Presto, one of the most kick-ass slap bass lines of any Rush song, Ged doesn't even have his bass strapped on him. It's off to the side and he's just playing the piano.

I can also say the same for Scars from Presto, one of the most kick-ass slap bass lines of any Rush song, Ged doesn't even have his bass strapped on him. It's off to the side and he's just playing the piano.

It's not slap. The high mid/treble is just boosted and run through a slight flanger.

It's not slap. The high mid/treble is just boosted and run through a slight flanger.

I always thought the Scars bass line was sequenced, I think I read it in an interview

I always thought the Scars bass line was sequenced, I think I read it in an interview

It very well could be, but sequenced just means it was originally played on bass but repeated electronically.

Edited by EagleMoon

To me it sounds both sampled and sequenced. I think they found (or perhaps created) a bass sound that they liked, sampled it, and then wrote the bass part on the sequencer.

To me it sounds both sampled and sequenced. I think they found (or perhaps created) a bass sound that they liked, sampled it, and then wrote the bass part on the sequencer.

Yeah, contrary to what EagleMoon said, it does not sound like a real bass to me.

Yeah, contrary to what EagleMoon said, it does not sound like a real bass to me.

It could be a real bass that was sampled. I don't think the pattern that we hear in the song was ever played on a real bass, rather they found a bass sound (perhaps from an actual bass guitar) they liked and used that...but what do I know? I'm just a dumb guitarist!

• Like 1

Don't really have any issues with the sampling. I wanna see the Ged man humpin that bass as much as possible
  • Like 1

Sure, as long as he doesn't Rudy Sarzo it.

God how does Rudy not break all those bass necks? Great bassist but goddamn he abuses those poor basses, especially in the 80s.

Edited by fraroc