Sampling: is it considered "cheating"?

fraroc

Sure, as long as he doesn't Rudy Sarzo it.

God how does Rudy not break all those bass necks? Great bassist but goddamn he abuses those poor basses, especially in the 80s.

Peavey made some tough basses.

I can also say the same for Scars from Presto, one of the most kick-ass slap bass lines of any Rush song, Ged doesn't even have his bass strapped on him. It's off to the side and he's just playing the piano.

It's not slap. The high mid/treble is just boosted and run through a slight flanger.

I always thought the Scars bass line was sequenced, I think I read it in an interview

To me it sounds both sampled and sequenced. I think they found (or perhaps created) a bass sound that they liked, sampled it, and then wrote the bass part on the sequencer.

Yeah, contrary to what EagleMoon said, it does not sound like a real bass to me.

Sounds real to me. Just run through effects.

On the subject of Rudy Sarzo, he's actually one of my favorite bassists (obviously behind Geddy Lee, Chris Squire and John Myung) and I've always enjoyed his energetic, animated stage presence. And hell, the guy has a f***ing laundry list of bands he was in.

don't like ged sampling?

hire a keyboard player.

hire a keyboard player?

increase ticket prices to pay for said keyboard player.

vicious cycle.

It's not that I don't like sampling, I was just pointing out the times where It's like "Why sample when you can play the part on the keyboard?"

don't like ged sampling?

Arrange songs so that sampling isn't required in order for the song to sound "good" live.

I mean, shit, if Neil and Geddy have to trigger guitar samples, there's just something wrong with the arrangements.