"Least Glorious" to ???? - Round 17

toscanobarga

What is your LEAST favorite album ?   

57 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your least favorite

One good thing about AFTK getting knocked out last round is that I'm not forced to vote for it against Hemispheres or Waves.
  • Like 1

"There is definitely a conspiracy among critics regarding the Beatles. Each of their studio albums receives 5-star scores from almost everyone, but those earlier works (and Magical Mystery Tour) had a ton of filler and their best works were often not nearly as good as their later stuff."

I think the general consensus among critics is, shared by Martin and The Beatles themselves, that starting with Rubber Soul, there was no more filler, at least by design or admission. Again, not counting MMT and YS, which were expanded EPs (MMT wasn't originally released as an LP in the UK, it was released as such by Capital in the U.S. and eventually the UK version followed suit with the EMI CD release).

Out of curiosity, what songs on Revolver do you consider filler, as opposed to songs you just don't care for particularly? I don't care for Love You To and Here, There and Everywhere but I wouldn't call them filler. HTaE is often cited as an album standout, and many I know love LYT. Every other track is a standout in its own right as far as I can see.

I'm not sure what the distinction is between filler and songs that just aren't very good, but I don't see a way that Love You To, HTaE, She Said She Said, For No One, I want to Tell You, and Tomorrow Never Knows (sonically interesting, but a horrible, horrible song) would make it on any later albums unless they were filling out an EP like with MMT or just throwing everything out like on the White Album.

Well, that's you. I've known many people who think the material from With the Beatles through Revolver is the most brilliant songrwriting/music ever from one band because above all else they appreciate a tightly written, energetically-executed 2 1/2 minute song with no fluff at all; they have almost no interest in Sgt Peppers and following songs with their long play lengths and sometimes meandering/bloated/pretentious (so they say) song structures.

I like it all but I generally admire the economical brilliance of I Feel Fine or Eleanor Rigby a bit more than the compositional brilliance of A Day in the Life or I am the Walrus.To each one's own.

BTW, saying that Revolver songs don't make the cut for later albums sounds kind of silly being such disparate styles comparatively. Similarly, I don't think any of the brilliant side 2 of Abbey Road would have made it on to Revolver. Only Here Comes the Sun would have been good enough as a stand alone song, and it wouldn't have fit stylistically. No point in trying to compare eras like that.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

You guys are Segue voting.

My answer to all choices in life: "Why not both?".

But I find this poll pointless. If we keep chopping and changing the votes, how can the end result be honest?

"There is definitely a conspiracy among critics regarding the Beatles. Each of their studio albums receives 5-star scores from almost everyone, but those earlier works (and Magical Mystery Tour) had a ton of filler and their best works were often not nearly as good as their later stuff."

I think the general consensus among critics is, shared by Martin and The Beatles themselves, that starting with Rubber Soul, there was no more filler, at least by design or admission. Again, not counting MMT and YS, which were expanded EPs (MMT wasn't originally released as an LP in the UK, it was released as such by Capital in the U.S. and eventually the UK version followed suit with the EMI CD release).

Out of curiosity, what songs on Revolver do you consider filler, as opposed to songs you just don't care for particularly? I don't care for Love You To and Here, There and Everywhere but I wouldn't call them filler. HTaE is often cited as an album standout, and many I know love LYT. Every other track is a standout in its own right as far as I can see.

I'm not sure what the distinction is between filler and songs that just aren't very good, but I don't see a way that Love You To, HTaE, She Said She Said, For No One, I want to Tell You, and Tomorrow Never Knows (sonically interesting, but a horrible, horrible song) would make it on any later albums unless they were filling out an EP like with MMT or just throwing everything out like on the White Album.

Those are all fantastic songs, except for I Want to Tell You. I don't understand why you would say they're bad.

You guys are Segue voting.

My answer to all choices in life: "Why not both?".

But I find this poll pointless. If we keep chopping and changing the votes, how can the end result be honest?

It won't. I agree with you, there should be an option to pick all three.

Let's all change our vote to Abbey Road and be done with it!

Would Abbey Road be considered a 60s or 70s album? :LOL:

• Like 1

It used synthesizers, clearly it was an '80s album!

• Like 1

It came out quite late in 1969. Maybe that meant they intended it to be the first album of the new decade?

That was my thinking.

• Like 1

MP is now six votes out in front. Blood is in the water and the sharks are gathering. We're seeing social Darwinism at work; weakness is sensed and the herd gangs up.
  • Like 1

MP is now six votes out in front. Blood is in the water and the sharks are gathering. We're seeing social Darwinism at work; weakness is sensed and the herd gangs up.

It reminds me of that Ren & Stimpy episode where they're making fun of Wild Kingdom.

Have no fear! Riff and the Jets ought to be showing up soon.

:popcorn:

• Like 2

It came out quite late in 1969. Maybe that meant they intended it to be the first album of the new decade?

Clearly they intended it to be a bridge between The White Album and Band on the Run. :eh:

p.s. making fun of the idea that PeW intentionally looked forward to the '80s, btw.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1