51 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your least favorite

• A Farewell to kings
    • Hemispheres
    • Permanent Waves
    • Moving Pictures
    • Signals
    • Grace Under Pressure

As the TRF ambassador for GuP, I have to say...I'm not surprised it's leading, but it's a travesty nonetheless.

I can't believe Dew and Afterimage alone don't outweigh the concept mediocrity of AFTK.

xanadu beats GUP

You've got that right.

Concept mediocrity? ....I am going to ignore that and guess its an attempt to draw the 70'ers out...

I like DEW and Afterimage , but Kings has it's title track, Cygnus and Xanadu. That's about as Rush as you can get. For bonus purposes Kings also has CTTH for our Brazilian friends and Cindy Man rocks. Yeah ooooooh yeah!

It's no attempt to provoke. It's a simple objective observation from a versed and studied Rush fan. FWTK and Hemispheres are, by the band's own admissions, their homages to their prog rock contemporaries and forefathers. They're conceptual albums that really just don't exemplify what Rush actually is...a band that plays SONGS, not spoken poetry or soliloquy or extended excavation...with, yes, the obvious exception of the first side of 2112. There's a reason they play abbreviated versions of 2112 frequently....because it LANDED. There's a reason they don't play Xanadu or Cynus much...because they didn't.

That said, La Villa is their best instrumental, so that's an exception.

But GuP deserves a well earned place as a worthy followup....could've easily just been a double album, really....to Signals. The production mix was different, no doubt, but the tone and flavor were Rush at their peak.

So if Rush pay homage to Yes and other prog artists, it isn't Rush. But if they play homage to the Police and synth-pop, it is real. M-kay.

LOL, not once have I ever heard any true blue Police riffing in any Rush song.

You just lost credibility.

LOL, there are no seat crashers who justify said behavior who have the authority to rate credibility.

Show me a ska-reggae-punk sound in the Rush catalogue and I'll eat my words. Apart from the awesome reworking of Working Man live in recent years.

http://www.therushfo...10/page__st__40

The raw Power Windows reeks of Andy Summers, not to mention earlier songs like Vital Signs, Digital Man, Chemistry, Kids Gloves...

Alex gives Andy the nod in more than one article.

I'm perfectly aware of Rush's nods to the Police industry-style. They like their tunes. That doesn't mean they homaged them in the music itself.

Totally different genres.

It's funny, 'cause my three favorite outfits over a 40 year lifetime of tunes are Van Halen, Rush, and the Police.

And I have yet to see any Rush nerds admit online their love of the Police. :)

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/90949-the-police-one-of-the-greatest-bands-in-the-world-klerk-kant-andy-summers-sting-shit-love-it-or-hate-it-zenyatta-is-epic-copland-rules/

There's 14 pages worth.

• Like 1

Some folks think New World Man has a bit of that vibe.

It's interesting, because I hear ZERO ska-punk hybrid fusion in any of Rush's music. They're that singular. Rush, I mean.

But I guess I can see why some people might hear that.

I don't. And I'm as diehard a Police fan as they come.

It's interesting, because I hear ZERO ska-punk hybrid fusion in any of Rush's music. They're that singular. Rush, I mean.

Just because you're incapable of hearing something, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. As far as 70s Rush sounding like 70s Yes, Yes didn't rock nearly as hard, and relied far more on organ and other keyboards than Rush ever did.
  • Like 1

None of you are going to be able to point to a Rush ska-punk hybrid song. Because they don't have one. Again...except for recent live reworkings of Working Man.

Digital Man and Vital Signs were already pointed out to you

Sounds like a new thread topic - what Rush song sounds the most like a Police song - and which Police song?

Sure, and I'll admit...if I'm pressed to really identify a Police song as 'Rush-like...' - I'd have to reach long and hard and maybe...MAYBE think that Synchronicity II might be a Moving Pictures-ish type of tune....MAYBE.

Rush doing ska....heck if you discount WM live the last two tours and maybe RTB..? heck even that sounds ridiculous...I just don't hear the Police vibe in any of Rush's albums. Drum fills here and there, sure, that's to be expected, Peart and Copeland are two modern masters.

Sounds like a new thread topic - what Rush song sounds the most like a Police song - and which Police song?

Oh...and you can only choose a ska-punk hybrid Police song.

None of you are going to be able to point to a Rush ska-punk hybrid song. Because they don't have one. Again...except for recent live reworkings of Working Man.

Yeah, and I discounted that immediately. Vital Signs is far too tech-prog in tone to even consider a Police vibe. And Digital Man? Gimme a break. Pure Rush. I guess some of you equate a few of Alex's bridges as 'reggae' chords. Pfft. No.

Sure, and I'll admit...if I'm pressed to really identify a Police song as 'Rush-like...' - I'd have to reach long and hard and maybe...MAYBE think that Synchronicity II might be a Moving Pictures-ish type of tune....MAYBE.

Rush doing ska....heck if you discount WM live the last two tours and maybe RTB..? heck even that sounds ridiculous...I just don't hear the Police vibe in any of Rush's albums. Drum fills here and there, sure, that's to be expected, Peart and Copeland are two modern masters.

The Weapon's hi-hat is clearly Police influenced.

You're being coy... :coy:

Just because you're incapable of hearing something, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. As far as 70s Rush sounding like 70s Yes, Yes didn't rock nearly as hard, and relied far more on organ and other keyboards than Rush ever did.

Heh, I love arguing with Rush nerds. There's no convincing any of us anything we already believe.

If you're a Rush fan who hears the Police in their stuff...I dunno what to tell ya...except you're wrong. LOL. TOTALLY DIFFERENT BANDS.

Yeah, and I discounted that immediately. Vital Signs is far too tech-prog in tone to even consider a Police vibe. And Digital Man? Gimme a break. Pure Rush. I guess some of you equate a few of Alex's bridges as 'reggae' chords. Pfft. No.

It's not a matter of equating Alex's chords to anything. He's playing off-beat chords in a reggae style, nothing to be debated. Besides the reggae/ska influence, the way Alex rang out his chords in the 80s is basically taken directly from Andy's playing style; the openings of DEW and Walking on the Moon for example, very similar in style.
  • Like 2

Heck, I envy you guys who hear that, I admit. The only time I remotely see similarities between 2 of 3 of my fave outfits, it's the skill levels of Copeland and Peart. But this whole 'Alex's tone can be reggae' is confusing. Reggae-ska-pop-punk fusion is a very specific corner of the genre, and really the only ones that ever truly mastered it were the Police (I guess an argument can be made by modern Gen Y folks for No Doubt). What, because Digital Man and Dew have bridges and choruses that are more 80's pop tone than 70's prog tone, they sound like the Police?

color me confused. I don't hear that...but again, being a diehard Police fan, I hear something drastically different from Summers and Lifeson on virtually any record between the two.

Offbeat chords in a reggae style? That's what you hear when you listen to DeW or Digital Man?

LOL, wow. Okay, if you say so.

Edited by Van Squalen

Heck, I envy you guys who hear that, I admit. The only time I remotely see similarities between 2 of 3 of my fave outfits, it's the skill levels of Copeland and Peart. But this whole 'Alex's tone can be reggae' is confusing. Reggae-ska-pop-punk fusion is a very specific corner of the genre, and really the only ones that ever truly mastered it were the Police (I guess an argument can be made by modern Gen Y folks for No Doubt). What, because Digital Man and Dew have bridges and choruses that are more 80's pop tone than 70's prog tone, they sound like the Police?

color me confused. I don't hear that...but again, being a diehard Police fan, I hear something drastically different from Summers and Lifeson on virtually any record between the two.

Offbeat chords in a reggae style? That's what you hear when you listen to DeW or Digital Man?

From the August 2007 issue of Guitar World:

"GW: ...how influenced were you by new wave? Many of the songs on [Moving Pictures] are short and poppy, at least by Rush standards, and your guitar sound bears similarities to that of Andy Summers."

"Alex Lifeson: I was very influenced, in many ways. I cut my hair! [laughs] That shocked a lot of our longtime fans who were used to my long flowing locks. Also, I started dressing cooler, more au courant, wearing bright, colorful blazers and ties. I didn't look like I'd just come from a Rennaissance fair. [laughs]

"It was time for all of us to change, musically, visually--our entire attitude. The songs got shorter, more accessible. It felt good to become a bit of a new band. We were listening to the Police, and their impact was huge. We saw that a rock trio could do so many different things."

"GW: A hint of that impact was apparent on Permanent Waves--the reggae break in 'The Spirit of Radio'--and on 'Vital Signs,' from Moving Pictures."

"Lifeson: Yep. That was early Police influence. Their rhythms, their sounds...

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

Ha, I always say the Police are the only band I know (and certainly the only one of my favorite top five bands) who never made a bad album.

That said, it's easier to reach that zenith if you've only cut 5 albums. :)

I'm pretty partial to ghost in the machine, but Regatta DEF is a stellar LP start to finish. Heck, they all are. If there's one weak album in the 5, maybe it's Zenyatta. But even that is great, only pales to the debut and the juggernaut Synchronicity.

"GW: ...how influenced were you by new wave? Many of the songs on [Moving Pictures] are short and poppy, at least by Rush standards, and your guitar sound bears similarities to that of Andy Summers."

"Alex Lifeson: I was very influenced, in many ways. I cut my hair! [laughs] That shocked a lot of our longtime fans who were used to my long flowing locks. Also, I started dressing cooler, more au courant, wearing bright, colorful blazers and ties. I didn't look like I'd just come from a Rennaissance fair. [laughs]

"It was time for all of us to change, musically, visually--our entire attitude. The songs got shorter, more accessible. It felt good to become a bit of a new band. We were listening to the Police, and their impact was huge. We saw that a rock trio could do so many different things."

"GW: A hint of that impact was apparent on Permanent Waves--the reggae break in 'The Spirit of Radio'--and on 'Vital Signs,' from Moving Pictures."

Yeah, I remember that byte. I still don't hear it in Vital Signs, and the break in Radio doesn't sound reggae to me. I suppose 'Rush reggae' is lost on me.

Yeah, I remember that byte. I still don't hear it in Vital Signs, and the break in Radio doesn't sound reggae to me. I suppose 'Rush reggae' is lost on me.

Now the TSOR reggae break isn't reggea? lol yeah, and 2112 isn't rock... Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch