• A Farewell to kings
    • Hemispheres
    • Permanent Waves
    • Moving Pictures
    • Signals
    • Grace Under Pressure

Hemispheres, you've got to go. :yes:

Don't bogart the drugs.

I don't hate the album or anything; it's just up against stiffer competition.

Hemispheres, you've got to go. :yes:

Don't bogart the drugs.

I don't hate the album or anything; it's just up against stiffer competition.

Really? About those drugs...

And it looks like another great album is being destroyed by "The League" (Thats what I'm calling the 70s anti-synthesizer fans from now on)

As the TRF ambassador for GuP, I have to say...I'm not surprised it's leading, but it's a travesty nonetheless.

I can't believe Dew and Afterimage alone don't outweigh the concept mediocrity of AFTK.

xanadu beats GUP

It really, truly, doesn't.

An overrated conceptual homage album to Yes, that despite stellar musicianship, just simply doesn't land.

As the TRF ambassador for GuP, I have to say...I'm not surprised it's leading, but it's a travesty nonetheless.

I can't believe Dew and Afterimage alone don't outweigh the concept mediocrity of AFTK.

You deserve a raise. GuP doesn't belong within 5 rounds of this competition.

Right?

What seems so clear, evidently is not to some.

GuP really is the underrated great of the catalogue, I've said before and I say again.

Some albums are clearly throwaways. Not many. Just a couple. VT TFE.

But to think GuP is less respected than FWTK...it boggles.

Right?

GuP really is the underrated great of the catalogue, I've said before and I say again.

VT and TFE are both better than GuP.

xanadu beats GUP

You've got that right.

Concept mediocrity? ....I am going to ignore that and guess its an attempt to draw the 70'ers out...

I like DEW and Afterimage , but Kings has it's title track, Cygnus and Xanadu. That's about as Rush as you can get. For bonus purposes Kings also has CTTH for our Brazilian friends and Cindy Man rocks. Yeah ooooooh yeah!

It's no attempt to provoke. It's a simple objective observation from a versed and studied Rush fan. FWTK and Hemispheres are, by the band's own admissions, their homages to their prog rock contemporaries and forefathers. They're conceptual albums that really just don't exemplify what Rush actually is...a band that plays SONGS, not spoken poetry or soliloquy or extended excavation...with, yes, the obvious exception of the first side of 2112. There's a reason they play abbreviated versions of 2112 frequently....because it LANDED. There's a reason they don't play Xanadu or Cynus much...because they didn't.

That said, La Villa is their best instrumental, so that's an exception.

But GuP deserves a well earned place as a worthy followup....could've easily just been a double album, really....to Signals. The production mix was different, no doubt, but the tone and flavor were Rush at their peak.

Right?

Haha. No, they're definitely not. VT and TFE are Rush's worst albums.

• Like 1

Right?

Ring, Ring. CP and S&A are calling. HYF, PoW, and GuP are on call waiting.

Edited by LedRush

xanadu beats GUP

You've got that right.

Concept mediocrity? ....I am going to ignore that and guess its an attempt to draw the 70'ers out...

I like DEW and Afterimage , but Kings has it's title track, Cygnus and Xanadu. That's about as Rush as you can get. For bonus purposes Kings also has CTTH for our Brazilian friends and Cindy Man rocks. Yeah ooooooh yeah!

It's no attempt to provoke. It's a simple objective observation from a versed and studied Rush fan. FWTK and Hemispheres are, by the band's own admissions, their homages to their prog rock contemporaries and forefathers. They're conceptual albums that really just don't exemplify what Rush actually is...a band that plays SONGS, not spoken poetry or soliloquy or extended excavation...with, yes, the obvious exception of the first side of 2112. There's a reason they play abbreviated versions of 2112 frequently....because it LANDED. There's a reason they don't play Xanadu or Cynus much...because they didn't.

But GuP deserves a well earned place as a worthy followup....could've easily just been a double album, really....to Signals. The production mix was different, no doubt, but the tone and flavor were Rush at their peak.

So if Rush pay homage to Yes and other prog artists, it isn't Rush. But if they play homage to the Police and synth-pop, it is real. M-kay.

• Like 1

Right?

Ring, Ring. CP and S&A are calling. HYF, PoW, and MP are on call waiting.

I'm always surprised at the SnA slagging. I thought it was the first Rush album that truly landed since Counterparts.

I grant that HYF and PoW are weaker efforts, absolutely. Throwaways? No.

MP? Come on, dude.

Right?

Ring, Ring. CP and S&A are calling. HYF, PoW, and MP are on call waiting.

I'm always surprised at the SnA slagging. I thought it was the first Rush album that truly landed since Counterparts.

I grant that HYF and PoW are weaker efforts, absolutely. Throwaways? No.

MP? Come on, dude.

Whoops...that should be GuP.

xanadu beats GUP

You've got that right.

So if Rush pay homage to Yes and other prog artists, it isn't Rush. But if they play homage to the Police and synth-pop, it is real. M-kay.

LOL, not once have I ever heard any true blue Police riffing in any Rush song.

Nor has Rush ever cut an actual Top 20 synth-pop song with the possible exception of TS.

Rush IS 2112, Waves, Pictures, Signals. That's the core. Period. :)

xanadu beats GUP

You've got that right.

Nor has Rush ever cut an actual Top 20 synth-pop song with the possible exception of TS.

The Police are a much more obvious influence on Rush in the 80s than Yes on the 70s.

• Like 4

xanadu beats GUP

You've got that right.

You just lost credibility.
  • Like 3

xanadu beats GUP

You've got that right.

The Police are a much more obvious influence on Rush in the 80s than Yes on the 70s.

Honestly, I don't see hear that influence much at all. I know the boys liked the Police, and respected them, sure. But the Police were a different animal...punk ska reggae pop hybrid. Sure, they're both stellar top of the heap power trios. But musically? Leagues apart.

70s Yes and FWTK and Hemispheres? Veins of the same. Clearly.

Again, I'll say it...2112, Waves, MP, Signals. Core of Rush. Forevermore. Amen. :)

xanadu beats GUP

You've got that right.

Agreed!

xanadu beats GUP

You've got that right.

LOL, there are no seat crashers who justify said behavior who have the authority to rate credibility.

Show me a ska-reggae-punk sound in the Rush catalogue and I'll eat my words. Apart from the awesome reworking of Working Man live in recent years.

xanadu beats GUP

You've got that right.

LOL, there are no seat crashers who justify said behavior who have the authority to rate credibility.

Show me a ska-reggae-punk sound in the Rush catalogue and I'll eat my words. Apart from the awesome reworking of Working Man live in recent years.

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/92129-least-glorious-to-round-10/page__st__40

The raw Power Windows reeks of Andy Summers, not to mention earlier songs like Vital Signs, Digital Man, Chemistry, Kids Gloves...

Alex gives Andy the nod in more than one article.

• Like 3

It's funny, 'cause my three favorite outfits over a 40 year lifetime of tunes are Van Halen, Rush, and the Police.

And I have yet to see any Rush nerds admit online their love of the Police. :)