We started a fund for people that can't get to a show

I understand erring on the side of caution. However, I am not willing to dismiss the idea that people could rally together to benefit those who find themselves in a situation where they will have to miss the tour. Sometimes you have to have faith that there are good people in this world...

There ARE plenty of good people in the world, and Rush fans are among the best. Nobody here is saying otherwise.

• Like 3

FWIW, Mark L. and I went to the Hershey show together last year, and he is a hell of a Rush fan. He asked me to be on the committee for this, but I declined, because I just can't imagine having the time and energy to try to vett how ever many people are going to try to horn in on this opportunity. We may be great fans, but there are always opportunists out there who will try to scam their way in. I also can't imagine how funds will be meted out to find tickets for everyone, considering that some shows may be sold out, and resale tickets might be priced anywhere from high to ridiculously high. On top of that I'm busy as hell, so I backed away from this. Otherwise, I think it's a noble effort, despite the potential migraine involved.
  • Like 2

Hi 1-0-001-0-0-1. I have no bad intentions here, but I do see your point. And understand everyone's skepticsm. The fund wull continue on FB and other venues, but of course it is up to you if we can do it here. I will respect your wishes. As HalfWayToGone said, I am just a serious Rush fan and trying to help people. The reason i did it public rather then private one person at a time is because I don't know people personally that want to go and can't, but I know that there are many people in that situation and that other people know who they are. Doing it one person at a time would be impossibly hectic I think. As for Lorraine, I am sure that all the people here will find a way to get here there. And I would be fine with coordinating that through the fund as we already have it in place. So, I would like to keep doing this. But up to you. People can pm me as well and I am fine with group chats even if they have a hundred people in them. And yes, things like this are popping up because it may be the last big tour. PS Thanks for giving me a chance and not killing the thread right away. Much appreciated.
  • Like 1

If I donate it will be for Lorraine to see Rush :)

She has a lot of support. So just say that in the comment when you donate. I am keeping track.

Has anybody donated yet?

Generally this board does not allow any sort of crowdfunding or public pleas for donations. The only reason this thread wasn't shut down immediately was because you've been a member here since 2010 and we wanted to see where this was going.

I am of the opinion that good deeds such as sending a particular person to a show should be done in private. Like in a group PM amongst a number of people who all know each other, something like, "John2112's been a member of TRF for years and he's never seen Rush and he can't afford to go, so let's pool some money together and buy him a ticket. Who else can we bring in on this?" That sort of thing.

I'm not sure how I feel about having people donate money then a decision is made on who gets a ticket.

Also, please pardon me -- I am a born skeptic.

Tex donated earlier according to the site. I'm going to when my Internet stops being shiternet.

I can see your viewpoint here, though. But I think the overall goal of their GoFundMe is to be able to donate to everybody who has requested help, rather than just one person who got the most votes. I definitely understand where you're coming from, and agree, but I think given it might be the last tour and after reading up on their thing a bit, this is pretty genuine.

FWIW when I saw this thread I immediately assumed scam as well.

Obviously not in my jurisdiction here, but again, just throwing my opinion out there.

yeah nice thought, but many times these things blow up and get ugly. but go for it if you think you can pull it off.

I might (i emphasize 'might') have some extra chicago floor seats if things fall through. but they won't come cheap, so you may want to pursue cheaper seats to help more people. if things fall through i could let them go for cost or close to cost knowing they were going to 'true' fans.

Edited by 2112FirstStreet
  • Like 1

My skeptic side thinks there are people who will write a great "story" just to get a ticket. I know Rush fans are a better breed than most rock fans but there are still those type people out there.

Every time I see one of these things where people are wanting to give something away and then ask for a letter or story or whatever I think that's a possibility. How would you know that someone wasn't just making something up so they could go? It may have nothing to do with "need" but everything to do with how good of a story teller they are.

yeah i agree. ticket prices are high, but most people can scrape together enough for cheap seats. Especially since the shows are 3-4 months away. it's not like they have to come up with $100 next week. Hell that's enough time to get money from plasma donations like i did in college. But it's going to be really uncomfortable judging how needy people are for these shows. I'm especially hyper-sensitive to moochers and whiners because my ex is one and i see how the game is played. you'll have people (like my ex) coming out of nowhere knowing there's some free to be had.

maybe give them a test to see how much of a 'fan' they really are.

My skeptic side thinks there are people who will write a great "story" just to get a ticket. I know Rush fans are a better breed than most rock fans but there are still those type people out there.

Every time I see one of these things where people are wanting to give something away and then ask for a letter or story or whatever I think that's a possibility. How would you know that someone wasn't just making something up so they could go? It may have nothing to do with "need" but everything to do with how good of a story teller they are.

yeah i agree. ticket prices are high, but most people can scrape together enough for cheap seats. Especially since the shows are 3-4 months away. it's not like they have to come up with $100 next week. Hell that's enough time to get money from plasma donations like i did in college. But it's going to be really uncomfortable judging how needy people are for these shows. I'm especially hyper-sensitive to moochers and whiners because my ex is one and i see how the game is played. you'll have people (like my ex) coming out of nowhere knowing there's some free to be had.

maybe give them a test to see how much of a 'fan' they really are.

Thanks for the input. I will work on something. Luckily since everybody knows somebody etc, most of the people will have stories that can be backed up. That is one nice thing about the Rush community, somebody usually know somebody. But yea no matter what, tickets should go to true fans, not people who just eh want to see rush. But people like us all that need to see them.

Hi everyone. So we are ammending the fund a bit. Since people want to know where their money is going before donating, or want to donate to a specific person, we can do that now. So it will be one fund, but if you want to donate to a specific person (such as Lorraine), just say that in the comments. The money will go to them. If you jut feel like donating to the general fund, you can just donate. We have a list of people in need as well. And if you have anyone else that is in need, feel free to let me know. PM is fine. This campagin is also now on Cygnux X-1.net as well. And all over FB. Hope to see you all at a show sometime!

NS75 - thanks for the update.

The trick with the new policy - what is the limit for an individual to "get" a donation? Is it a $200 ticket? $400? $1000? Unlimited?

Say 20 people donate an average of $50 per donation toward a single individual - let's call that person Lee or Leigh. That's $1000. Is that too much? Just enough? Or too little?

I guess the word I'm looking for is a "cap". Is there a cap? If there is, does any overage go into the general fund or does the person donating get the option of getting a refund?

Sorry. I've been involved with with Little League for 17 years so I'm conditioned to plan 3 moves ahead.

• Like 1

Great intentions here, but the potential for problems are HUGE.

And qualified individuals are not defined.

Lots of wiggle room for interpretation.

I have to write documents for a living.

You put the End game on the table before defining the rules.

That's not good.

• Like 1

That's not good.

I agree. This is something that is wonderful in theory, but not at all good in practice. And that's probably why the donation amount has not increased in the time since it was announced here.

Right now there is $270 in the pot. That's enough, maybe, to get one person to a show. How do you decide who that one person is? Are you paying just for their ticket, or for all costs associated with the show? What do you do with any money not used--who gets that? All of these things need to be outlined before the fundraising is ever announced.

NS75 - thanks for the update.

The trick with the new policy - what is the limit for an individual to "get" a donation? Is it a $200 ticket? $400? $1000? Unlimited?

Say 20 people donate an average of $50 per donation toward a single individual - let's call that person Lee or Leigh. That's $1000. Is that too much? Just enough? Or too little?

I guess the word I'm looking for is a "cap". Is there a cap? If there is, does any overage go into the general fund or does the person donating get the option of getting a refund?

Sorry. I've been involved with with Little League for 17 years so I'm conditioned to plan 3 moves ahead.

Great input! Thanks. As this is a new venture, all those questions do have to have answers. We are working on refining it. And your input is great. The whole point is to get people to shows. So if you have suggestions please tell me. Ideally if someone got donated more then ticket cost, the money extra would go back into the pool. But I am open to other ideas as we.. Travel costs, refunds if people needed them. As I said I don't think this has ever been done before, thus a work in progress. So whatever works best for everyone is how we will go. Just wanna get people there.

That's not good.

I agree. This is something that is wonderful in theory, but not at all good in practice. And that's probably why the donation amount has not increased in the time since it was announced here.

Right now there is $270 in the pot. That's enough, maybe, to get one person to a show. How do you decide who that one person is? Are you paying just for their ticket, or for all costs associated with the show? What do you do with any money not used--who gets that? All of these things need to be outlined before the fundraising is ever announced.

working on that. And I really appreciate all the input from you all. We want this to be fair. I would like to hear as many thoughts for improvement that you all have. I am totally open to do this any way that works best.