Jacob's Ladder

Lorraine

Jumping from p. 1 to p.12 so I might be repeating someone. What I first loved about Jacob's Ladder, and still do though I love the whole song, is that Alex bit that mimics the Alex bit from La Villa where he is repeating a pattern to a crescendo (maybe one of the many musicians on this board can tell me what those are called). That was my favorite part of Hemispheres(along with other Alex bits) and I was so worried before PeW came out that they might not do that again. But, there it was in Jacob's Ladder. Awesome. Saved the album for me initially because otherwise it sounded so different from AFTK and Hemi to me, though now I love it for everything it is regardless of what came before. Curiously, Alex wouldn't do that pattern thing again until Losing It and then Prime Mover (if I remember that second one correctly); those didn't have the same impact on me but I still thought it was pretty cool to hear them again.

Anyway, love Jacob's Ladder, one of my favorites.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

The

Rutlefan, can you give me a time in the song so I can listen and know what you are talking about? Also, if you don't mind, the time in Hemispheres when Alex does the same thing?

The part from 4:53 to 6:39. Two minutes of pure awesomeness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d09-oSVY9iw

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

And from Losing It, starting at 3:56. Not quite the same thing but close enough to make me wish was still making Hemi or PeW at the time (still, I guess). Think I might have been wrong about Prime Mover, being HYF illiterate, but he does it again somewhere on that album I thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEagi9co0Ko

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

The

Rutlefan, can you give me a time in the song so I can listen and know what you are talking about? Also, if you don't mind, the time in Hemispheres when Alex does the same thing?

Amen. Alex is so often left off the list of guitar greats and I think it is because so few "experts" appreciate the artistry of his style. If I ever had to describe his style in one word, it would be "emotional".

Point of clarification: I am a terrible musician. I have tried many instruments over the years, but I am just not any good. It's not one of my intelligences, but damn if I don't appreciate people who have that gift.

• Like 4

The

Amen. Alex is so often left off the list of guitar greats and I think it is because so few "experts" appreciate the artistry of his style. If I ever had to describe his style in one word, it would be "emotional".

Point of clarification: I am a terrible musician. I have tried many instruments over the years, but I am just not any good. It's not one of my intelligences, but damn if I don't appreciate people who have that gift.

See if you can find on the internet the scanner bootleg Scanning The Waves 6/27/92. It's just Alex's guitar. It's amazing.

• Like 1

Ever wonder how he writes his stuff? I do.

Geddy said he runs through different takes and improvises, then they pick out the best parts and splice them together.

• Like 1

Geddy said he runs through different takes and improvises, then they pick out the best parts and splice them together.

I have read that a couple of times. I find that fascinating. Ged and Alex and have also both said they sometimes put together some stuff and *then* see what they can tie to Neil's lyrics?!

It's a bit of a Frankenstein process, eh? But man, it's really alive.

I also thought I read somewhere that the whole splicing thing meant that, at one point, the solo in The Garden was not in the song? Wow. That would have been tragic.

• Like 1

I have read that a couple of times. I find that fascinating. Ged and Alex and have also both said they sometimes put together some stuff and *then* see what they can tie to Neil's lyrics?!

It's a bit of a Frankenstein process, eh? But man, it's really alive.

I also thought I read somewhere that the whole splicing thing meant that, at one point, the solo in The Garden was not in the song? Wow. That would have been tragic.

It probably wasn't when they first composed it. Guitar solos are usually added later if they're actual solos, and not just part of the main melody.

The

What a song. I hope they find a way to work it into the set. Thanks for pointing out the 4:53 starting point. I intend the following with the most respect - that two minute stretch has to be the ultimate daydream music ever! Ah, a day to dream!

Edited by Gabrielgil513
  • Like 1

The

I agree - and I'll add that what makes that part so effective is what leads up to it, and what follows - the progression from one section to the next is pure magic

I also think Terry Brown needs more recognition as far as his contributions to the overall vibe on these classic albums ... it's quite apparent that the band had great chemistry with him

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 3

I also think Terry Brown needs more recognition as far as his contributions to the overall vibe on these classic albums ... it's quite apparent that the band had great chemistry with him

There are a few here, maybe more than that, that agree with you. :)

• Like 1