Steely Dan

Lorraine

I haven't listened to Can't Buy A Thrill in ages.

Forgot what a good album it was. Still is.

The only thing i don't like about which they quickly dropped was vocalist David Palmer.

but it's still got great music.

Mick

• Like 1

The only thing i don't like about which they quickly dropped was vocalist David Palmer.

Mick

I was going to ask who was singing Dirty Work. I never knew they had another vocalist at one time. What happened to him?

Mick

I was going to ask who was singing Dirty Work. I never knew they had another vocalist at one time. What happened to him?

no clue actually. but Fagen works better singing his own songs. David was missing the edge those lyrics needed.

Nonsensical as most of them were, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

no clue actually. but Fagen works better singing his own songs. David was missing the edge those lyrics needed.

Mick

I had to laugh at one of the comments under Reelin In the Years. Someone wrote they were a "deep, deep, band." :laughing guy:

:musicnote: Is there gas in the car? :musicnote:

• Like 2

Mick

Mick

I had to laugh at one of the comments under Reelin In the Years. Someone wrote they were a "deep, deep, band." :laughing guy:

Do you know why he's called Steely Dan? The blood supply to his penis is 20 times the normal level.

Mick

Mick

Do you know why he's called Steely Dan? The blood supply to his penis is 20 times the normal level.

I know. :(

Edited by Lorraine

I love the context of that "gas in the car" lyric.... On its own, it's WTF but when you consider the story being told, it absolutely works :D

Yes it does.

In the very late eighties I worked at a place where a messenger (we used to have those before the internet) would come from the main firm downtown to deliver to the midtown office. He was a jazz musician and arrogant as hell. He once made the remark to me that Steely Dan picked their lyrics out of a hat.

I love the context of that "gas in the car" lyric.... On its own, it's WTF but when you consider the story being told, it absolutely works :D

So what does it mean?

Song is basically about Owsley Stanley -- the man in San Francisco who was the LSD king.

They're all getting busted in that 3rd verse.....hence the "Gas in the car" lyric.. we gotta get out of here!

Edited by Mystic Slipperman
  • Like 5

Mick

Mick

Fagan was shy as a singer. Palmer was brought in to sing the songs live, even songs Fagan sang on the album. There is a version of Do it Again on YouTube that shows this. Drummer Jim Hodder even sang Midnite Cruiser.

But the rest of the band and management quickly realized Palmer was just not able to put those songs over the way Fagan did. So they convinced him to sing and they fired Palmer.

Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 2

Walter Becker once said he was getting into a cab and Kid Charlemagne was on. He said nothing and the driver didn't recognize him. When it got to the part about gas in the car, the driver said that that line was the worst lyric ever written! Becker just smiled and said nothing.

• Like 1

Walter Becker once said he was getting into a cab and Kid Charlemagne was on. He said nothing and the driver didn't recognize him. When it got to the part about gas in the car, the driver said that that line was the worst lyric ever written! Becker just smiled and said nothing.

I love that part of the song. :LOL:

• Like 2

Mick

Mick

Fagan was shy as a singer. Palmer was brought in to sing the songs live, even songs Fagan sang on the album. There is a version of Do it Again on YouTube that shows this. Drummer Jim Hodder even sang Midnite Cruiser.

But the rest of the band and management quickly realized Palmer was just not able to put those songs over the way Fagan did. So they convinced him to sing and they fired Palmer.

Great Decision. otherwise i honestly probably wouldn't like the band as much.

Mick

• Like 2

If I could do the tango, I'd start dancing it at the 2:34 mark in Aja.

It takes two

Yes, I know. Can you do it? :)

I've seen it done in a movie. I'll give it a go.

Will you lift me up and twirl me around? I don't weigh much.

If I could do the tango, I'd start dancing it at the 2:34 mark in Aja.

It takes two

Yes, I know. Can you do it? :)

I've seen it done in a movie. I'll give it a go.

Will you lift me up and twirl me around? I don't weigh much.

Of course, you'll be light as a feather

• Like 1

I love that part of the song. :LOL:

Me too!

• Like 1

Just throwing this out there - I recently listened to all of their albums straight through for the first time in a long time. This is how I would rank them:

1 KATY LIED

2 CAN'T BUY A THRILL

3 AJA

4 COUNTDOWN TO ECSTASY

5 PRETZEL LOGIC

6 THE ROYAL SCAM

7 GAUCHO

8 TWO AGAINST NATURE

9 EVERYTHING MUST GO

Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 1