What is a "True Rush Fan"?

Lorraine

According to Wikipedia, this is what constitutes a regular "fan."

A fan, sometimes also called aficionado or supporter, is a person who is enthusiastically devoted to something or somebody, such as a band, a sports team, a book or entertainer. Collectively, the fans of a particular object or person constitute its fanbase or fandom. They may show their enthusiasm by promoting the object of their interest, being members of a fan club, holding or participating in fan conventions, or writing fan mail. They may also engage in creative activities ("fan labor") such as creating fanzines, writing fan fiction or drawing fan art.

I've never done any of this in relation to Rush, so I guess that makes me just a "Musical Enjoyer." :LOL:

:LOL: "Aficionado" - that's a great word.

Eagle, maybe we can start up a Rush Fan Club like the ones Sixteen Magazine used to advertise. :LOL: :lol:

Good idea.

First order of business...what are the rules we're going to use to keep people out?

Every potential member has to take a Rush test first. They would have to not only rate the albums, but every song on each album. That is a sure way of keeping out the tin ears and tone deaf.

Good plan.

Now we need a password to enter the clubhouse. I suggest a passphrase: Be cool or be cast out

Good idea. That's a hard one. No one would ever guess it. Commit it to memory and don't ever reveal it, no matter how they torture you. :codger:

A fan, sometimes also called aficionado or supporter, is a person who is enthusiastically devoted to something or somebody, such as a band, a sports team, a book or entertainer. Collectively, the fans of a particular object or person constitute its fanbase or fandom. They may show their enthusiasm by promoting the object of their interest, being members of a fan club, holding or participating in fan conventions, or writing fan mail. They may also engage in creative activities ("fan labor") such as creating fanzines, writing fan fiction or drawing fan art.

I've never done any of this in relation to Rush, so I guess that makes me just a "Musical Enjoyer." :LOL:

Isn't the Rush Forum a kind of "fan club"?

• Like 1

I think it's just too hard to put down any kind of criteria for what it exactly means. Some would say that you're not a true Rush fan unless you were a fan from the beginning. Or what about the people who got fed up in the 90's and never listened to any of the albums then?
  • Like 1

Isn't the Rush Forum a kind of "fan club"?

I guess maybe it could be considered a modern day equivalent except we don't really pay dues to belong.

. Or what about the people who got fed up in the 90's and never listened to any of the albums then?

They should skip the R40 tour and use the money for something else.

• Like 1

. Or what about the people who got fed up in the 90's and never listened to any of the albums then?

To buy corndogs with lots of mustard. :LOL:

• Like 3

I think it's just too hard to put down any kind of criteria for what it exactly means. Some would say that you're not a true Rush fan unless you were a fan from the beginning. Or what about the people who got fed up in the 90's and never listened to any of the albums then?

I think you can create criteria for anything - it's just that you have to cut people some slack if they don't meet every single one, because everybody has different tastes, different levels of energy they can sink into something, different economic means, and all sorts of differences. Having said that, I suppose it makes the creation of criteria ultimately meaningless. Damn, I wasted all that time! But I don't mind, because who's a fan? Meeeeeee!

• Like 2

I only have a dubbed cassette with Tom Sawyer, Spirits of the Radio, and a part of Zanadu on it (cut off the Chicago Bulls intro). I listen to it a lot though.

That's very impressive. You sound like a true fan to me. Spirit of Radio is a great Rush album, don't you think?

• Like 2

I only have a dubbed cassette with Tom Sawyer, Spirits of the Radio, and a part of Zanadu on it (cut off the Chicago Bulls intro). I listen to it a lot though.

Doesn't matter. If you don't have every album on original vinyl, reissue vinyl, 8-track cassette, CD, 97 remastered CD, and sectors box set CD, not to mention the Chronicles compilation, the Retrospective compilations, The Spirit of Radio Greatest Hits, the Gold compilation, the Icon Compilation, and the Time Stand Still collection, I'm afraid we can't count you as a true fan.

And Archives. Can't forget that.

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 2

:rfl: You don't have Neighborhoods on cassette? You must see the video too at some point. I have it on beta max and its very neat with lonely misunderstood kids that don't fit in....
  • Like 2

:scared: :outtahere: ....

Doesn't matter. If you don't have every album on original vinyl, reissue vinyl, 8-track cassette, CD, 97 remastered CD, and sectors box set CD, not to mention the Chronicles compilation, the Retrospective compilations, The Spirit of Radio Greatest Hits, the Gold compilation, the Icon Compilation, and the Time Stand Still collection, I'm afraid we can't count you as a true fan.

I forgot to mention my custom Sharpie "Geddie Lee 4ever" shirt. Am I true now?

Welcome, brother.

:rfl: You don't have Neighborhoods on cassette? You must see the video too at some point. I have it on beta max and its very neat with lonely misunderstood kids that don't fit in....

I agree. How well I remember the Neighborhoods video from MTV! :yes:

• Like 1

I've been looking for one of those for years.

You have my envy.

You don't by any chance have a Rush corkscrew do you?

:haz: :7up: :ebert:

• Like 1

I've been looking for one of those for years.

You have my envy.

You don't by any chance have a Rush corkscrew do you?

I would post the pic of my 2112 mug to prove my fandom but am afraid someone might notice the toothbrush housed in it needs replaced. I replaced it that very day BTW.... :blush: