Pot Roast Recipes

Lorraine

So what are the best cuts of meat to buy for a roast? I see different cuts of meat being called roasts at the store but I don't know which are best.

The one I always use is the beef that is advertised Boneless Chuck Pot Roast.

I'm not much of a cook, so I can't tell you about other beef cuts that are used.

I'm sure that you can get it a lot cheaper than they sell it for out here. For some reason I've never been able to understand, everything is priced higher out here.

I don't know if I've seen that particular one but I'll look.

So what are the best cuts of meat to buy for a roast? I see different cuts of meat being called roasts at the store but I don't know which are best.

The one I always use is the beef that is advertised Boneless Chuck Pot Roast.

I'm not much of a cook, so I can't tell you about other beef cuts that are used.

I'm sure that you can get it a lot cheaper than they sell it for out here. For some reason I've never been able to understand, everything is priced higher out here.

I don't know if I've seen that particular one but I'll look.

Ask someone in the meat department to help you.

If you buy one, please let me know what you paid. As I said, I'm sure you will get the same cut of meat on sale here for almost four dollars a pound for probably half that amount.

Pot Roast is $4.99 a pound this week. I am going to watch the reduced for quick sale meat bin and hope that one shows up in it!

Autumn is definitely in the air and my mouth is really watering for either a good pot roast, or pork roast, with mashed potatoes and carrots and gravy.

Pot Roast is $4.99 a pound this week. I am going to watch the reduced for quick sale meat bin and hope that one shows up in it!

Autumn is definitely in the air and my mouth is really watering for either a good pot roast, or pork roast, with mashed potatoes and carrots and gravy.

I also rarely turn on my oven until it cools off a bit. We got some nice cool evenings here lately so I decided to make a meatloaf.

Had the meatloaf, garlic and herb infused mashed potatoes, fresh green beans and biscuits with beef gravy last night.

It was great. Had a cold meatloaf sandwich for lunch today! Great once again!

I've been hankering after a good meat loaf dinner too. They don't sell the meatloaf combo packs out here anymore. I asked the lady that works in the meat department why, and she said the Board of Health won't let them. But the combination of those three chopped meats - veal, pork and beef - make for quite the tasty meat loaf.

Meat loaf sandwiches are always good too!

I also rarely turn on my oven until it cools off a bit. We got some nice cool evenings here lately so I decided to make a meatloaf.

Had the meatloaf, garlic and herb infused mashed potatoes, fresh green beans and biscuits with beef gravy last night.

It was great. Had a cold meatloaf sandwich for lunch today! Great once again!

I've been hankering after a good meat loaf dinner too. They don't sell the meatloaf combo packs out here anymore. I asked the lady that works in the meat department why, and she said the Board of Health won't let them. But the combination of those three chopped meats - veal, pork and beef - make for quite the tasty meat loaf.

MHO, that meatloaf combo is way overrated.

I stumbled across this meatloaf recipe years ago and it is the best, by far. It's super easy, foolproof and is really good. Plus, it only calls for 1.5 lbs ground beef which is easier on the wallet than the meat trio combo.

I want my meatloaf on the simple side. I don't want pieces of chunky vegetables in there. I don't want to eat messed up, fussy meatloaf.

I got this recipe from allrecipes.com. I just checked and it has 3,288 reviews and received 4.5 out of 5 stars so I am not the only person who freaking loves this loaf.

EASY MEATLOAF

(The broad who came up with this recipe is not kidding. It is SO easy!)

1 1/2 lbs ground beef (I like to use the 20% fat package of beef. It will keep the meatloaf moist with that extra fat and fat makes things taste good.)

1 egg

1 cup milk (whole milk at least but I usually use a combo of whole milk and heavy cream)

1 cup dried bread (or cracker) crumbs

salt/pepper, to taste

2 Tbl brown sugar

2 Tbl prepared mustard

1/3 cup ketchup

(I always add sautéed grated onion, chopped garlic and some dried herbs - usually basil/oregano - to the meat mixture before baking.)

Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine beef, egg, milk, bread/cracker crumbs and salt/pepper in large bowl. Turn onto foil-lined baking sheet and form into a loaf. Combine brown sugar, mustard and ketchup in bowl and pour over meatloaf.

Bake in 350° oven for 1 hour.

Troutman, I will look, but don't think I've ever seen them in the store.

Here's my Panko bread crumb story.

Looked in the Asian section and happened upon them for $3.49 - on sale. :unsure: The first thing that popped into my mind was Troutman saying they are really cheap. Then I thought - well, what's cheap to Troutman isn't cheap to me. :no: It was a little box too. Probably just enough for one use. :sigh: So, I nixed that idea and kept looking around. I happened upon the section where I would normally have gone to get bread crumbs, and - lo and behold - they had a slew of panko bread crumbs at a much more Lorraine affordable price - $1.89 for an 8 oz. box! :)

Also decided to have something with the meat loaf and mashed potatoes that I used to love as a little girl, and could never understand why my little friends didn't love it like me - spinach!

I didn't care for the meat loaf. It lacked something. I only put a 1-1/2 teaspoons of salt in. It definitely needed more. But, better to need salt than have too much. :)

Next week: pork roast.

Tomorrow: I have a quite a few boxes of pasta around and some great sauce in the freezer. Think I'll have that with some shredded cheese on top.

I guess we started with price. My local store's weekly paper had boneless chuck roast $4 a pound. To me thats not a a sale. But it is what it is.

"Meat loaf combo packs" My store butcher told me the same thing. They are not allowed to mix them anymore. And yes, the three meats are the very best tasting meatloaf, although i have made it with only beef or beef and pork. They don't know what veal is in the south.

I'm all about fussy meatloaf. I use many things in my meatloaf. And spend quite some time chopping stuff up to make it. It never comes out the same either. But its always great. The amounts below are suggestions and not written in stone.

1.5 lb ground chuck.

1.5 lb ground pork.

Fine chopped onions.

Fine chopped bell pepper.

Fine chopped garlic.

Bread crumbs. (not to much) 1 cup for every 1.5 pounds. Any type. I use Panko or Italian style Progresso.

Eggs. (two for every 1.5 pound)

Milk. (3/4 cup for every 1,5 pounds)

Grated Parmesan and Romano freshly grated. (1 cup for 1.5 pounds)

SALT. (1TBLS per 1.5 pounds) or to taste.

PEPPER.

Ketchup or left over marinara sauce.

If your up for something different, add some sausage to the meat. Not to much as it will over power the loaf.

This will make two loaves. Or one big one. Its great as a leftover dinner or for cold sandwiches. I make two loaves and vacuum pack and freeze one of them.

Combine several hours prior to roasting. Mold into a loaf or use a meatloaf pan. Squirt ketchup in an artistic fashion over the top. Add several strips of bacon to the top also. More salt and pepper.

Note: "Wilers/Lipton? Onion Soup Mix" has a recipe for meatloaf on the back of the packet. My friend made it and it was very good. Had lots of ketchup though.

Pork roast? What kind of roast? Remember roasts with bone are better than those without bone if you are roasting it. Boneless is fine for pot roast.

If your roasting, poke some holes in the fatty side and push some fresh garlic into the holes. Squeeze lime juice all over and some olive oil. Heavily salt and pepper the outside and let sit for several hours. Roast till temperature is reached and skin is crispy.

Braised pork roast has become a favorite around here.

Preheat oven to 300f.

I heavily salt and pepper the meat and brown it very good in a dutch oven with onions and garlic. Don't burn the garlic or the onions. Add them near the end of the browning stage.

Then I add one bottle or can of any kind of beer you like.

Cover and put in preheated oven for 2 hours. (check at one hour to make sure it has not dried up). Add more beer or water if needed.

After two hours add 1 cup of your favorite bottles BBQ sauce. Cover and braise for one more hour or until the meat is very tender.

Remove meat and put dutch oven on the stove top and reduce until you have a thin silky BBQ sauce. Serve meat with a drizzle of the silky sauce you made.

Great with mashed potatoes and home cooked green beans.

Note: Use this method with turkey legs, thighs or wings. Its killer! Only braise the turkey for two hours total, but do the same exact thing.

Cooking is fun if you have the time and want to expend the effort. I'm all in on both accounts.

Edited by John V
  • Like 2

Alien Girl, that pot roast recipe sounds absolutely delicious! http://www.thecountrycook.net/2015/04/crock-pot-mississippi-pot-roast.html

The last one I made in the slow cooker (and the only meal I have made in one as I just bought a slow cooker this year) was almost a disaster. They said to cook on low for eight hours, but when I put the carrots and potatoes at about six hours, then checked back to see how they were doing in an hour, they were still hard as anything. I had to raise the temp to high and add extra time.

It turned out very good, but if I hadn't checked to see how it was doing, it wouldn't have. The recipe directions were not good.

So, I really am skittish about using the thing again. But, your recipe made my mouth water. I hope they are on sale this coming week. If they aren't, a three pound roast would cost me close to $20. Meat is very high in the Pacific Northwest. Don't ask me why. I haven't a clue. :eyeroll:

Alien Girl, that pot roast recipe sounds absolutely delicious! http://www.thecountr...-pot-roast.html

The last one I made in the slow cooker (and the only meal I have made in one as I just bought a slow cooker this year) was almost a disaster. They said to cook on low for eight hours, but when I put the carrots and potatoes at about six hours, then checked back to see how they were doing in an hour, they were still hard as anything. I had to raise the temp to high and add extra time.

It turned out very good, but if I hadn't checked to see how it was doing, it wouldn't have. The recipe directions were not good.

So, I really am skittish about using the thing again. But, your recipe made my mouth water. I hope they are on sale this coming week. If they aren't, a three pound roast would cost me close to $20. Meat is very high in the Pacific Northwest. Don't ask me why. I haven't a clue. :eyeroll:

The thing I have a problem with with my slow cooker is its low setting is absolute shit. The first time I cooked this pot roast I did it on 6-8 hours on high and it turned out perfectly. The next time I tried it on 10 hours Low and I ended up still having to cook it in the oven for an hour and a half. I had added veggies that time so maybe that made the difference, though I doubt it, I think the low is just too Low to cook anything. So it all depends on how your slow cooker cooks, and only you'd know that. Regardless of the cooking time/temp snafu the roast turned out excellent. Let me know how you like it. Oh, I'm in the Pacific Northwest too (Central WA)...yes, beef prices are insane. And really if you are making pot roast you really want it to be worth your while and give lots of leftovers, so you have to buy a bigger roast. Or two smaller roasts. I think I'll see what's on sale this weekend too. :)

Edited by Alien Girl

What brand do you have? I bought one of those Hamilton Beach Slow Cooker.

I'm not going to use the low setting anymore.

I'm in the Spokane area. :eh:

Cuisinart

Your low setting might be fine...I mean, most things that call for that setting are cooking for 10 hours or more. My Low setting just doesn't work...it's too low. I expect more from Cuisinart (they aren't cheap!) but have found over the last couple years that though they might be expensive, their small appliances aren't necessarily the best quality.

I live in the Tri-Cities area. Small world! :)

• Like 1

I don't know if you have a storm there yet, but someone posted this on the internet at 1:40:

The company I work for also has a office in Seattle. The storm hit there about 45 min ago or close to that. Thousands without power. Streets closed from flooding and down trees. Headed out way. Duck and cover up and stay safe Spokane

Were you able to find that stick butter called for in the recipe in your area, or the peperoni peppers?

The pepperoncini peppers are where the pickles and pickled things are...Italian (I think), Brand Mezzeta, usually on the top shelf, has a red lid. And I just used regular butter, but that garlic herb stuff might be worth hunting down, because it looks yummy! Still, even if you're not able to find that the regular butter worked just fine.

• Like 1

I don't know if you have a storm there yet, but someone posted this on the internet at 1:40:

The company I work for also has a office in Seattle. The storm hit there about 45 min ago or close to that. Thousands without power. Streets closed from flooding and down trees. Headed out way. Duck and cover up and stay safe Spokane

Sunny and windy here today.

• Like 1

Sunny and windy here today.

Same here today.

I just don't like losing power. Last year's November wind storm was awful.

I bought all the ingredients this morning except for the roast itself.

Cross-rib roasts are on sale this week, but I'm not sure they make that good a pot roast. I didn't check the price of chuck. Will do so tomorrow.

Chuck makes the best pot roast. I don't know about Cross-rib roast. Can't say that I've had that. Safeway had them (Chucks) on sale on Friday so I ended up making this on Saturday with two smaller roast that totaled just under 5 lbs together. It was excellent, as usual. I used the expensive garlic and herb butter but couldn't see that that made any difference from the last time I made it, so will not use it next time. Just wanted to test it out once with it, but it's not necessary. It was a huge hit with my husband and his friend. Equally popular as leftovers as well. Get some good bread to go with it. You'll need something to sob up the yummy gravy. :)

• Like 1

Ooooo Alien Girl, thank you so much. I could kiss you!!

I never go to Safeway on account of the fact their prices tend to be on the high side, so I didn't look at their flyer yesterday. Just got it out and see that Chuck 7-Bone Roast is on sale for $2.79 a pound. I've never seen it that cheap in Fred Meyers (that store - FM - is annoying me lately anyway - they are just completely a multi-million dollar completely unnecessary remodel and consequently their prices are higher and they aren't as well stocked as they used to be [they cut in on their stocking area in the back to widen the store so they don't keep as much on hand as they used to]).

I'm going to Safeway tomorrow and getting two of them. I'll freeze one and have the other for dinner tomorrow night and let you know how it turns out. I didn't see any garlic and herb butter in FM this morning, but i'll look in Safeway for it.

How long did you cook yours in the slow cooker? Did you put it on high?

Edited by Lorraine

I cooked it for 3 hours on high then low for 4 hours, then 1hr on high...came out perfectly. But I mentioned that the low on my cooker is wonky. So I checked it often. If you're going to cook the whole thing on high you probably will be fine at 4-5 hours. I just started mine too early...but it made the house smell wonderful, almost all day.

(seriously, only get the garlic/herb butter if you want to try it, otherwise regular butter tastes just as good)

• Like 1

I can already smell it! :)

I am jealous! I just need to get over my husband being vegetarian and cook a roast for myself and freeze the other 2/3. Or something. I miss pot roast! :)

• Like 1

I am jealous! I just need to get over my husband being vegetarian and cook a roast for myself and freeze the other 2/3. Or something. I miss pot roast! :)

Do you have a neighbor who would appreciate some pot roast? I'm thinking of giving our neighbor some if there is enough left over. He's 46, single, and is a good neighbor. Whenever I make a lot of something, I bring him a care package.

• Like 1

Do you have a neighbor who would appreciate some pot roast? I'm thinking of giving our neighbor some if there is enough left over. He's 46, single, and is a good neighbor. Whenever I make a lot of something, I bring him a care package.

That is a great idea! There is actually a "young" couple across the street- late 30's, but that is young to us! They help out when there is a lot of snow. Thank you- now I can have pot roast !! :)

• Like 1