Pot Roast Recipes

Lorraine

I'm here to report that the meal was absolutely delicious!!! :ebert: :ebert: :ebert: :ebert: :ebert: :ebert: :ebert: :ebert: :ebert: :ebert: :ebert: :ebert:

It's one of those meals where you can just keep eating and eating and eating. Hard to stop.

The next time, I won't use as many of the pepperinis (or whatever it is they are called) as the recipe calls for - half would be good enough.

Had mashed potatoes and carrots. The carrots I par boiled (since the last pot roast attempt in slow cooker with carrots almost was a disaster). Such a delicious flavor!

• Like 2

I'm here to report that the meal was absolutely delicious!!! :ebert: :ebert: :ebert: :ebert: :ebert: :ebert: :ebert: :ebert: :ebert: :ebert: :ebert: :ebert:

It's one of those meals where you can just keep eating and eating and eating. Hard to stop.

The next time, I won't use as many of the pepperinis (or whatever it is they are called) as the recipe calls for - half would be good enough.

Had mashed potatoes and carrots. The carrots I par boiled (since the last pot roast attempt in slow cooker with carrots almost was a disaster). Such a delicious flavor!

Yay, so glad you liked it (and it turned out)! :fistbump: Yes, it's definitely the kind of meal you can eat yourself sick on. Just a little more, just a little more...no, no more. But the flavor, the flavor. Ohhh...I can't move. But, Yum, yum, yum.

• Like 1

So you used a bone-in chuck roast to make it?

So you used a bone-in chuck roast to make it?

No bone. Chica, I'm sure someone in the meat department would be happy to help you.

• Like 1

7 bone roasts were on sale last week at Safeway so I scooped up two roasts that were both just shy of 4 lbs. 7 bone roasts are my favorite for pot roast. Here's what I do. I salt and pepper the meat generously as a large heavy pan with some oil in it heats. I get a really good sear on that bad boy... at least a couple minutes per side. When its nice and brown I remove it and set aside. I throw a bunch of chopped onion in the pan and sweat for a few minutes. In the meantime I am prepping carrot and celery and getting seasonings and stuff together. When the onions are translucent, I add a little more oil and a little butter and then sprinkle in a fat tablespoon of flour to form the roux. Its cool that the onions are still in the pan, it works just the same. Once the roux has cooked a couple minutes I add a tablespoon of tomato paste and mix that up. Then I slowly work in the liquids, starting with a cup and a half or red wine, then a quart of stock. I simmer that for a couple minutes and add rosemary, more black pepper, a couple bay leaves, and a couple shakes of cayanne (I use that stuff in everything). Then I put carrot, celery, and some smashed garlic cloves in the crock pot, then place the roast on top of that, then dump the sauce mixture over the meat and veg. If the liquid ain't high enough I splash some water or more stock in. Slap that lid on and crank it on low for 12 hours. I did that a couple days ago and when I got home after work it was perfect. I didn't even need to adjust for seasoning or reduce the sauce. I just skimmed a bunch of fat off the top and served up with some mashed potatoes. Can't wait to eat some more leftovers. Yeah its a lot of steps, but its the best pot roast I've ever had. By the way if I need ideas or tips on any kind of recipe I go to Youtube and hit up the Food Wishes channel... check it, it has never let me down.

Thanks for the thread, Lorraine. Being retired now, I'll be cooking most every night and pot roast is something I love but never made when I was working. Really looking forward to putting these recipes to the taste test!
  • Like 1

Thanks for the thread, Lorraine. Being retired now, I'll be cooking most every night and pot roast is something I love but never made when I was working. Really looking forward to putting these recipes to the taste test!

I don't think anyone could ever make a bad pot roast!

I love the slow cooker recipes because you just put it all in the cooker and don't have to fuss. You don't even have to make gravy since it makes its own.

And since you will be the chief cook in your home, please share your recipes here!

I was thinking of making lasagna on Christmas Eve. That doesn't sound like much, but lasagna isn't cheap to make and it is a lot of work. It's not a dish you just whip up. I've been looking for a good recipe. :)

• Like 2

I love the slow cooker recipes because you just put it all in the cooker and don't have to fuss. You don't even have to make gravy since it makes its own.

And since you will be the chief cook in your home, please share your recipes here!

I was thinking of making lasagna on Christmas Eve. That doesn't sound like much, but lasagna isn't cheap to make and it is a lot of work. It's not a dish you just whip up. I've been looking for a good recipe. :)

My wife makes it without pre-cooking the noodles, which reduces a lot of the work.

She makes a tasty chicken alfredo version.

• Like 2

My wife makes it without pre-cooking the noodles, which reduces a lot of the work.

The chicken version sounds delicious! I just tried making a no-cook recipe with regular noodles about 3 weeks ago for the first time. I was surprised at how well it worked and how good it was. I think I'm going to stick to that recipe from now on.

• Like 1

The chicken version sounds delicious! I just tried making a no-cook recipe with regular noodles about 3 weeks ago for the first time. I was surprised at how well it worked and how good it was. I think I'm going to stick to that recipe from now on.

Way easy and you can prepare it long ahead of time.
  • Like 1

Please post your best lasagna recipes here.

I found the one I used, but looking at it, the baking time and temperature didn't look familiar. :( Notes on some other internet site said to let no boil lasagna sit overnight, so I did that, and had to reheat at a higher temperature the next day. I wish I had written down what I did because it was good- now I don't know what I did either! Story of my life in the the kitchen. OK, I remembered! I'll put it up for you!

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

No-Boil Classic Lasagna

• Prep: 20 mins + 3 +hours sitting
  • Cook: 1 hr
  • Yields: 6-8 Servings

Ingredients

8 oz. (1/2 package) any type of regular Lasagna noodles, uncooked (don't buy boxes labeled no-boil lasagna, they are not for this recipe)

15 oz. Ricotta cheese or 2 cups cottage cheese

2 cups Mozzarella cheese, divided

1/2 cup Parmesan cheese

2 eggs, lightly beaten

5 1/2 cups (52 ounces) of your favorite pasta sauce (I use Ragu Marinara, I am horrible at making homemade tomato sauces !)

1 lb ground beef or Italian sausage, cooked and drained

1 tsp parsley flakes

Directions

1 Preheat oven to 350. (actually don't do this because you have to let it sit for a few hours)

2 In medium bowl, combine Ricotta cheese, 1 cup of Mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, and eggs; mix well.

3 Spread 1 cup of meat-sauce mixture in 9" x 13" pan.

4 Place 1/3 of the uncooked Lasagna noodles over sauce. Spread 1/2 of the cheese mixture over noodles, top with 1/3 of meat-sauce mixture.

5 Repeat layering. Top with remaining noodles and meat-sauce mixture.

6 Cover with plastic wrap or wax paper and then foil. Put in refrigerator for at least 3 hours or overnight.

7 Remove plastic or wax paper, replace foil, and put in preheated 375 degree oven for one hour.

8 Uncover, sprinkle with reserved Mozzarella cheese and parsley flakes.

9 Bake an additional 5 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165-185 degrees. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting and serving.

OK, I'm positive I did it this way, with this recipe. It should seem saucy, because the extra sauce is absorbed by the noodles while sitting. Cover the top layer with plastic wrap or wax paper, and then with foil. Let it sit in the fridge at least three hours, or overnight, so the noodles can soften. Then take out the lasagna, remove the plastic or wax paper, replace the foil, and cook at 375 for one hour. Uncover, sprinkle with reserved Mozzarella and bake 5 more minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting and serving.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

It looks pretty complicated that way, but it was easy. But to be honest, Lorraine, and others, for 35 years before I ran into that no boil recipe this month, I just made the recipe off the side of the lasagna box and used Ragu Marinara sauce. It is a little simpler but it always got compliments at high school band banquet. I will try to find it as well.

Chica, bake it for 55 minutes then, after it cools, put it in the fridge overnight?

Like i said to my husband on Sunday, I think I really have a problem. I read things and I can't comprehend what I'm reading.

Edit: Never mind. :) I read it again and i see what you mean. Make it all up, cover it, put it in the fridge overnight (or at least for 3 hours), and pop it in the over the next day.

Edited by Lorraine

Chica, bake it for 55 minutes then, after it cools, put it in the fridge overnight?

Like i said to my husband on Sunday, I think I really have a problem. I read things and I can't comprehend what I'm reading.

Oh shoot, I didn't edit it enough. I will fix it. You were comprehending it OK, I just didn't fix it enough to make sense! You actually cover it and let it sit in the fridge before any baking. You are right, the recipe says to cook it right away, but when I was reading about it on the internet it seemed like a lot of people said it was really good but you had to let it sit, unbaked, first, or it wouldn't work. The noodles would be kind of chewy. I will fix it.

• Like 1

Alien Girl, that pot roast recipe sounds absolutely delicious! http://www.thecountr...-pot-roast.html

The last one I made in the slow cooker (and the only meal I have made in one as I just bought a slow cooker this year) was almost a disaster. They said to cook on low for eight hours, but when I put the carrots and potatoes at about six hours, then checked back to see how they were doing in an hour, they were still hard as anything. I had to raise the temp to high and add extra time.

It turned out very good, but if I hadn't checked to see how it was doing, it wouldn't have. The recipe directions were not good.

So, I really am skittish about using the thing again. But, your recipe made my mouth water. I hope they are on sale this coming week. If they aren't, a three pound roast would cost me close to $20. Meat is very high in the Pacific Northwest. Don't ask me why. I haven't a clue. :eyeroll:

We have just started using a slow cooker, and we put all ingredients in right from the start and cook on low for 8+ hours. The meat always falls apart and the veggies are done just fine.

• Like 1