Thread relocated as requested. I left a link in the original location.

Thanks...

Rush - Moving Pictures (1981)

Tom Sawyer: 13/15

*Red Barchetta*: 15/15

YYZ: 13/15

Limelight: 15/15

The Camera Eye: 14/15

<Witch Hunt>: 12/15

Vital Signs: 12/15

Overall rating: E (Great)

Edited by len(songs)

21. King Crimson - Discipline: C (Very Good/Great) by len(songs) [link]

22. King Crimson - Three Of A Perfect Pair: B (Very Good) by len(songs) [link]

23. Rush - Hold Your Fire: 9 (Good) by len(songs) [link]

24. Rush - Roll The Bones: 5 (Mediocre/Bad) by len(songs) [link]

25. Sonata Arctica - Silence: 11/15 (Very Good) by Mr. Not [link]

26. Sonata Arctica - Winterheart's Guild: 13/15 (Great) by Mr. Not [link]

27. Sonata Arctica - Reckoning Night: 12/15 (Great) by Mr. Not [link]

28. Yes - The Yes Album: D (Great/Very Good) by len(songs) [link]

29. Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down: F (All-time Great) by PolarizeMe [link]

30. Pink Floyd - Animals: E (Great) by len(songs) [link]

31. Sonata Arctica - Unia: 11/15 (Very Good) by Mr. IsNot [link]

32. Lacuna Coil - In A Reverie: E (Great) by Segue Myles [link]

33. Rush - Fly By Night: A (Very Good/Good) by len(songs) [link]

34. Lacuna Coil - Unleashed Memories: F (All-time Great) by Segue Myles [link]

35. Lacuna Coil - Comalies: F (All-time Great) by Segue Myles [link]

36. Lacuna Coil - Karmacode: 10 (Olympian) by Segue Myles [link]

37. Lacuna Coil - Shallow Life: E (Great) by Segue Myles [link]

38. Lacuna Coil - Dark Adrenaline: F (All-time Great) by Segue Myles [link]

39. Lacuna Coil - Broken Crown Halo: 10 (Olympian) by Segue Myles [link]

40. Rush - Moving Pictures: E (Great) by len(songs) [link]

Finally cawtup... whew

Edited by len(songs)
  • Like 1

Still gong strong :) It would help to add an album rating under the track list though (see the other reviews)

gong you say?

continental circus - 3.5/5

flying teapot - 4.5/5

angel's egg - 4.5/5

you - 4.5/5

gazeuse! - 3.5/5

• Like 2

Still gong strong :) It would help to add an album rating under the track list though (see the other reviews)

gong you say?

flying teapot - 4.5/5

angel's egg - 4.5/5

you - 4.5/5

gazeuse! - 3.5/5

Oops :LOL:

Rush - All The World's A Stage (1976)

Anthem: 14/15

Bastille Day: 13/15

Fly By Night/In The Mood: ((12+6)/2=9)/15

Something For Nothing: 12/15

Lakeside Park: 13/15

2112: 12/15 (Don't lynch me!)

By-Tor and the Snowdog: 15/15

*In The End*: 15/15

Working Man/Finding My Way/<Drum Solo>: ((12+13+5)/3=10)/3

What You're Doing: 13/15

Overall rating: C (Very Good/Great)

Other: Rush: Best Live Record

Edited by len(songs)

gong you say?

flying teapot - 4.5/5

angel's egg - 4.5/5

you - 4.5/5

gazeuse! - 3.5/5

:blink: Huh?....

I wonder if Mick could write a few... we could use more people with more diverse music tastes...

Also (unrelated): Rush stuff is allowed in this thread, so we don't need 20 different "rate" threads :)

Edited by len(songs)

Finally cawtup... whew

I was thinking (I know, your eyes are rolling already, Mr. Not on patrol again!) a separate thread would be good for this inside of random samples, just for the archiving it all (that's 200 album links per page for the default user!)

It'd be really great and rather useful that way... Just so long as the thread doesn't get cluttered with conversation somehow (knowing TRF...)

• Like 1

Finally cawtup... whew

I was thinking (I know, your eyes are rolling already, Mr. Not on patrol again!) a separate thread would be good for this inside of random samples, just for the archiving it all (that's 200 album links per page for the default user!)

It'd be really great and rather useful that way... Just so long as the thread doesn't get cluttered with conversation somehow (knowing TRF...)

Done. All new digests will appear here.

Sonata Arctica - The Days of Grays (2009)

07/15 <Everything Fades to Grey (instrumental)>

10/15 Deathaura

11/15 The Last Amazing Grays

10/15 Flag in the Ground

10/15 Breathing

11/15 Zeroes

12/15 The Dead Skin

14/15 *Juliet*

09/15 No Dream Can Heal a Broken Heart

08/15 As if the World Wasn't Ending

11/15 The Truth is Out There

10/15 Everything Fades to Gray (full)

rating: 6

This is Sonata's worst album if you ask me... Three key causes: first album with Elias (I), who is unfortunately an inferior guitarist to Jani (who made a departure soon after Unia's release), and there's a use of orchestra (II) and a female opera vocalist (III). The songs Deathaura and Last Amazing Grays are great songs being held back by the oversaturation of orchestra and the unnecessary utilization of female vocals. They were really trying to be appease to the female vocal symphonic metal audience in the making of this and the result is absolutely abhorrent (as should be expected). Deathaura would be rated higher if it had not been for the incredibly shitty intro / outro which I'm always sure to skip over it. I enjoy different bands for different reasons... Remain your own band and offer what only your group is capable of, do not mimic other musicians. Their work will always be preferable to yours, phonies!

My previous rating

Edited by Mr. Not

Sonata Arctica - Stones Grow Her Name (2012)

12/15 Only the Broken Hearts

05/15 Shitload of Money

11/15 Losing my Insanity

10/15 Somewhere Close to You

04/15 <I Have a Right>

11/15 Alone in Heaven

11/15 The Day

09/15 Cinderblox

08/15 Don't be Mean

12/15 Wildfire pt 2

11/15 Wilfdire pt 3

09/15 Tonight I Dance Alone

12/15 *One Two Free Fall*

rating: 7

It may seem like with so many terrible songs (Shitload of Money being a generic hard rock song with shitty as can be lyrics) (I have a right being an annoying pop song) this album would be considered less than The Days of Grays... Not to me, no. The songs they do well are genuine prog sonata, creative works I can appreciate unconditionally, unlike with the good songs of TDoG which have strings attached (get it? ha!)

Sonata Arctica - Pariah's Child (2014)

14/15 *The Wolves Die Young*

12/15 Running Lights

11/15 Take One Breath

09/15 Cloud Factory

13/15 Blood

11/15 What Did You Do in the War Dad?

12/15 Half a Marathon Man

08/15 X Marks the Spot

07/15 Love

09/15 Larger Than Life

12/15 No Pain

rating: 11

Track by Track!:

• The Wolves Die Young is near flawless, if only they had patched the second verse with a more creative guitar solo (the one actually in the song sounds almost like a scale practice exercise)...
  • Then, Running Lights comes on, which is a great song instrumentally, but lyrically? It's not very Sonata - it depicts young teens driving recklessly and romanticizes the idea... What? I miss Environmentalist Arctica as well as Cynical Arctica.
  • Take One Breath starts out beautifully, making a great use of a harp, but the rest of the song doesn't quite live up to the intro bit.
  • Cloud Factory is a poppy single, Tony (lead vocalist, songwriter) described it as an ear worm.. Yeah, that's not necessarily a good thing.
  • Blood is the proggiest song... It would have been better if the tie-in at the end was just a tad bit more climatic, and the cheesey toy organ solo is pretty lackluster, and there's basically no guitar solo... In fact, the entire bridge is pretty lackluster, including the quick vocal bit ("wolves and the people, things we fear, the wolves or the people [cont...]") So that's what's keeping the song from hitting a 15. Let's talk about the good: The introduction (up until the vocals) to this one really sounds like a modern "Goblin" song might (though I haven't heard any modern Goblin) to me, and I really like that :LOL: there's use of a sample of the text-to-speech wikipedia feature, reading the first couple of lines from wikipedia page for "blood". Sounds lame? Well listen to the song itself and then you can make a fair determination... It sounds amazing to me, and synth during that bit compliment the sample perfectly. Also here in this song, we also have good use of female vocals! Thank all that is good! It's during a couple lines during the second verse, and is very subtle. Well done Sonata. So, those are three details of why it's good, these are sort of more like interesting footnotes. The meat of the song is what makes it - so just listen if you're curious.
  • What Did You Do in the War Dad? is very reminiscent of an Ecliptica style song... So, in other words, it's just mediocre. Next.
  • Half a Marathon Man is Sonata does Deep Purple - and it works! This song was written very quickly by them apparently, basically a studio jam, which is quite impressive, it seems a bit well constructed for a jam.
  • X Marks the Spot may have been a good song, if it weren't the annoying-ass not-at-all-funny narration that intervenes throughout the entire song. So bad that it has to be heard to believed. I refuse to take this song seriously in the least until a version without this narration is released
  • Love is a lame love ballad. It's positive and happy too. Please spare me, I can't take it.
  • Larger Than Life is another failed attempt at an epic by Sonata. It's hot for the first four and a half minutes or so, and then the rest of the song is essentially pointless unless you're really interested in what happens in the story.. (so, listen through the song in full a couple times, then just listen to the first half for the rest of your life)
  • No Pain is a perfectly depressing Sonata song which sets the scene for me just right. Tony says "wow" once in a high pitched, yet soft voice, and again later in a deep, low, and harsh voice... This creates a cinematic/theatrical effect more successfully than the latter half of Larger Than Life Did! :D The intro comes off as lame for the first couple of listens, but you'll quickly adapt and appreciate it with the rest of the song giving some sort of context and structure. The outro of this song is also more beautiful harp work, and very well done! It should be another separate track altogether really.

Edited by Mr. Not

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin I

Good Times Bad Times: 12/15

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You: 13/15

You Shook Me: 12/15

Dazed And Confused: 14/15

Your Time Is Gonna Come: 11/15

Black Mountain Side: 12/15

Communication Breakdown: 12/15

<I Can't Quit You Baby>: 11/15

*How Many More Times*: 14/15

Overall rating: D (Great/Very Good)

This is an album which is easier to talk about either as one whole or as a disparate collection of songs, and as such it is hard to write a "normal" review, which is a shame, because I love this album. Just a few things I like about it:

•Plant's vocals, which would likely never get better

•The production, which I'm afraid would go downhill on II

•The guitar tone and playing, showing many of the best sides of Page without too many overly wanky solos

•The bass playing, which carries many of the songs (Imagine How Many More Times without that kickass bassline...)

Even the songs which weren't completely original (erm, 2/3 of the album) are embellished with Page's guitar stylings and Plant's vocals, and overall all of them are easily identifiable as "Zeppelin" without shoving a single style down your throat (Example: there are a lot of blues covers on the album, but ultimately they all sound different and varied, with the more "straightforward" approaches of You Shook Me and I Can't Quit You Babe against the "doomy" Dazed And Confused and the "mini-suite" How Many More Times). If you're a fan of Led Zeppelin, blues rock, or late-60's/early-70's hard-rock in general and you don't have his album already (however unlikely that may be), you need it today.

Edited by len(songs)

Here's my first (more will probably come soon)

Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark (1992)

Be Quick or Be Dead: 12/15

From Here to Eternity: 8/15

Afraid to Shoot Strangers: 13/15

Fear is the Key: 7/15

Childhood's End: 10/15

Wasting Love: 9/15

The Fugitive: 10/15

Chains of Misery: 6/15

The Apparition: 6/15

Judas Be My Guide: 12/15

<Weekend Warrior>: 5/15

*Fear of the Dark*: 15/15

Overall rating: 8 (Good/Mediocre): A weird album, it has a few great songs, an absolute classic and the rest....oh well, I wish this album was only 35-40 minutes long so there wouldn't have been so many fillers

• Like 2

Here's my first (more will probably come soon)

Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark (1992)

Be Quick or Be Dead: 12/15

From Here to Eternity: 8/15

Afraid to Shoot Strangers: 13/15

Fear is the Key: 7/15

Childhood's End: 10/15

Wasting Love: 9/15

The Fugitive: 10/15

Chains of Misery: 6/15

The Apparition: 6/15

Judas Be My Guide: 12/15

<Weekend Warrior>: 5/15

*Fear of the Dark*: 15/15

Overall rating: 8 (Good/Mediocre): A weird album, it has a few great songs, an absolute classic and the rest....oh well, I wish this album was only 35-40 minutes long so there wouldn't have been so many fillers

Welcome to the rating thread :cheers:

Hey Segue, any chance you might be able to do more reviews? No pressure, I'm just curious :)

Sure!

Bruce Springsteen- Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J.

1. *Blinded By The Light* 15/15

2. Growin' Up 14/15

3. Mary Queen Of Arkanas 11/15

4. Does This Bus Stop At 82nd Street? 13/15

5. Lost In The Flood 13/15

6. <The Angel> 11/15

7. For You 13/15

8. Spirit In The Night 15/15

9. It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City 14/15

Average Rating: 12.2 (Rating C)

I am going to work out the average for each album now and compare it to my overall feeling towards it. I would say this album is about right (I may redo my LC ones after this, just out of interest!)

One of the great debut albums of all time, it is amazing for many reasons. The word play, for one, is chaotic, often verging on incomprehensible. The beauty of songs like For You, Growin' Up and Mary Queen of Arkansas will stay with me forever, whilst on Blinded By The Light and Spirit In The Night flirt with the sort of fist pumping hooks that would soon become his trademark, only with a more loose, free-spirited vibe that recalls much of early Bob Dylan.

Classy stuff! I even love the songs in blue!

Bruce Springsteen- The Wild, The Innocent And The E Street Shuffle

1. The E Street Shuffle 13/15

2. 4th Of July, Asbury Park (Sandy) 15/15

3. Kitty's Back 14/15

4. Wild Billy's Circus Story 12/13

5. Incident On 57th Street 15/15

6. Rosalita (Come Out Tonight) 15/15

7. *New York City Serenade* 15/15

Average Rating: 14 (Rating E)

Again, about right!

A stunning second album, it is somewhat a favourite album of mine. But Springsteen has so many great albums, that can be a token compliment. But this one in particular raises its head far above the majority of the others.

A jazzy, breezy classic, full of life, love and beauty entwined with the booze fuelled summer nights in New Jersey.

New York Serenade is the most beautiful song in the world. In fact, the entire second half of the album gets my vote for the greatest side of any album in rock history!

Bruce Springsteen- Born To Run

1. Thunder Road 15/15

2. Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out 15/15

3. Night 15/15

4. Backstreets 15/15

5. Born To Run 15/15

6. She's The One 15/15

7. Meeting Across The River 15/15

8. *Jungleland* 15/15

Average Rating: 15 (Rating 10)

The most perfect album ever recorded, I am a sucker for this beautiful album. I always feel like the casual fan when my top pick for an artists album is also his most popular.

But oddly enough, this album is PERFECT, FLAWLESS, free of a single caveat, but I am not entirely sure it is my favourite album of The Boss. But when it plays, I cannot even begin to imagine how I can ever play anything else. This is a keeper.

Still doesn't quite knock Karmacode off the top spot, however. But love for anything isn't based solely on statistics (often, love makes no sense whatsoever!), but on gut feeling. My gut, tells me this is perfect, my heart says that still isn't quite enough...but it gets top ten status, no issues about that!

Edited by Segue Myles