Anyone here that doesn't like Hemispheres?

Lorraine

133 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Hemispheres?

When Rush plays at a bar or somewhere in public there is sometimes a noticable shift in the mood and atmoshere of the place...there's a quiet discomfort that starts.

It happened when Xanadu played recently at a bar. Trust me, it's the "cheese" that we all know and love...and some that are afraid to admit...

Um...remember you are speaking an opinion, not a fact.

Xanadu isn't cheesy to those who follow this kind of music.

Toto is cheese. ABBA is cheese. Foreigner is cheese. Cheddar is cheese.

Rush is Rush. When they are cheesy, it stands out because it is uncharacteristic.

Xanadu is NOT strictly cheese (but the lyrics are kind of hilarious!).

Harry Potter is "cheesy" but don't tell Segue that.

It is! J.K. Rowling has the best kind of humour: intelligent and geeky!

But it isn't pure cheese, like, say, The Princess Bride or Legend.

When Rush plays at a bar or somewhere in public there is sometimes a noticable shift in the mood and atmoshere of the place...there's a quiet discomfort that starts.

It happened when Xanadu played recently at a bar. Trust me, it's the "cheese" that we all know and love...and some that are afraid to admit...

Rush is Rush. When they are cheesy, it stands out because it is uncharacteristic.

Spot on. When something is cheesy, it's because it's been done so much that it's reached the point of being normal. I wouldn't compare any song in the world to Xanadu, so therefore I would call it the exact opposite of cheesy: authentic/unique.

You still mean the good kind of cheese?

Why not?

Maybe I'm associating "cheesy" too closely with nerdy.

But "cheesy" to me is something that make me cringe or has the potential to.

I defintely feel that when I play Rush for some non-fans....something I do less and less over the years. Most people who know me don't even know I'm a fan of the band.

I'm not afraid to admit anything. The only thing I know is that I like Rush. This is the first time I ever read the word "cheesy" applied to them. The Archies are cheesy. David Cassidy is cheesy. Rush isn't cheesy. And what anyone else thinks about Rush and their music, why should I care? Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 4

Spot on. When something is cheesy, it's because it's been done so much that it's reached the point of being normal. I wouldn't compare any song in the world to Xanadu, so therefore I would call it the exact opposite of cheesy: authentic/unique.

Eh, I find Foreigner and even Styx to be less "cheesy" than Rush overall...yes they have that "cheese" sound (synths, some vocals, some lyrical content) but they're way more accepted by people than Rush is...

I'm not afraid to admit anything. The only thing I know is that I like Rush. This is the first time I ever read the word "cheesy" applied to them. The Archies are cheesy. David Cassidy is cheesy. Rush isn't cheesy. And what anyone else thinks about Rush and their music, why should I care?

I bet you found Closer to the Heart to be "cheesy" when you first heard it ;)

Didn't you say that was your first exposure to the band and found it offputting?

Edited by savagegrace26

Eh, I find Foreigner and even Styx to be less "cheesy" than Rush overall...yes they have that "cheese" sound (synths, some vocals, some lyrical content) but they're way more accepted by people than Rush is...

I know that you know that cheesy doesn't mean "not accepted by the main stream." Clearly that's not what cheesy means. Whatever weird vibe comes over a bar when Rush is played isn't due to the cheese factor, it's because it's nerdy and weird. Most don't understand it. Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch

PEEP you!

The Princess Bride and Legend are both awesome.

And so is Army of Darkness...a movie I was actually going to bring up before you brought those up.

Some "cheese" tastes better than others...

I'm not afraid to admit anything. The only thing I know is that I like Rush. This is the first time I ever read the word "cheesy" applied to them. The Archies are cheesy. David Cassidy is cheesy. Rush isn't cheesy. And what anyone else thinks about Rush and their music, why should I care?

David Cassidy cheesy?.... :rage:
  • Like 1

People who find Rush cheesy are the kind of people who consider Coldplay or Kings Of Leon the high priests of awesome!

Rush, Yes, Pink Floyd and their musical companions speak to the hearts of their fans in a way that is personable, comforting, but i sense unique to each listener.

If someone finds Rush cheesy and loves them, so be it!

I love Rush's cheesy moments. But that tends to be stuff found on Presto-Test For Echo.

I wouldn't call any of Rush's early works cheesy, just a little naive. They were, after all, finding their feet!

When Toto went prog on Hydra, it was both cheesy and mega embarrasing (sorry Lorraine, that is the album with your song!).

And their science fiction themed lyrics are not cheesy. 2112 is incredibly moving, as much as Hemispheres is mind blowing. Sure, on the whole I now prefer Yes' sidelong epics, but Rush's attempts are not rehashed cheeseball pastiches. They are brilliant in and of themselves.

Caress Of Steel has I Think I Am Going Bald. Maybe that is cheesy, but it rocks with no shame!

• Like 2

I know that you know that cheesy doesn't mean "not accepted by the main stream." Clearly that's not what cheesy means. Whatever weird vibe comes over a bar when Rush is played isn't due to the cheese fac

How do you know? I can't believe I'm wasting all of thise time discussing "cheese"...

I'll say this:

Hand over fist

Paper around the stone

Scissors cut the paper

Cut the paper to the bone

Hand over fist

Paper around the stone

Scissors cut the paper

And the rock must stand alone

Is better "cheese" than:

Sunlight dances through the leaves

Soft winds stir the sighing trees

Lying in the warm grass

Feel the sun upon your face

Elven songs and endless nights

Sweet wine and soft relaxing lights

Time will never touch you

Here in this enchanted place

• Like 1

Bruce Springsteen is cheesy.

:outtahere:

Born In The USA definetly. Every album since that one have their moments.

Anything before that is exempt (aside from moments on The River). Born To Run can ve mistaken for cheese because Bat Out Of Hell practically took its sound and parodied it.

But as an album, it is high art.

• Like 1

I know that you know that cheesy doesn't mean "not accepted by the main stream." Clearly that's not what cheesy means. Whatever weird vibe comes over a bar when Rush is played isn't due to the cheese fac

How do you know? I can't believe I'm wasting all of thise time discussing "cheese"...

I'll say this:

Hand over fist

Paper around the stone

Scissors cut the paper

Cut the paper to the bone

Hand over fist

Paper around the stone

Scissors cut the paper

And the rock must stand alone

Is better "cheese" than:

Sunlight dances through the leaves

Soft winds stir the sighing trees

Lying in the warm grass

Feel the sun upon your face

Elven songs and endless nights

Sweet wine and soft relaxing lights

Time will never touch you

Here in this enchanted place

Sorry, i disagree.

And Foreigner are mega cheesy! Made worse by the fact they take themselves so seriously. I mean, their songs work in rom com romantic scenes. Find me ONE Rush song that could lyrically and melodically fit a prom scene perfectly.

Styx are cheese. They took prog and turned it into broadway.

Rush's cheesy moments. But that tends to be stuff found on Presto-Test For Echo.

This^^^^....

Rush's cheesy moments. But that tends to be stuff found on Presto-Test For Echo.

This^^^^....

And if you ask me, the cheese factor is what makes these albums work.

PEEP you!

And so is Army of Darkness...a movie I was actually going to bring up before you brought those up.

Princess Bride, Legend and Army Of Darkness are three great movies!

AoD is the only Evil Dead film i like.

Nobody post'd Dog Years' lyrics yet.. ??

You still mean the good kind of cheese?

Why not?

Maybe I'm associating "cheesy" too closely with nerdy.

But "cheesy" to me is something that make me cringe or has the potential to.

I defintely feel that when I play Rush for some non-fans....something I do less and less over the years. Most people who know me don't even know I'm a fan of the band.

Who cares what the "non-fans" think?

• Like 1

PEEP you!

Princess Bride, Legend and Army Of Darkness are three great movies!

AoD is the only Evil Dead film i like.

Evil Dead 2 is better and more awesome than AOD.

Nobody post'd Dog Years' lyrics yet.. ??

No one needs to stoop that low...

• Like 2