Flip me, there I was a couple of months back proclaiming Kansas to be a sucky band, and now I think they have stolen a place in my top five bands of all time!

I will share videos later, but I think, with bands like Yes, Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater getting a lot of love on this forum, Kansas now deserve their moment!

And now I am gearing myself up for Gentle Giant. I am sure for the first six months I will adamantly detest them as well...

But as for Kansas, those seventies albums shine brilliantly, and their best work possibly surpasses even Rush for me.

Geez.... Soon they will be just dust in the wind

Shush your mouth!

*don't listen to the nasty man, my little Kansas*

You know that was the theme song of my graduating class in high school? I thought of all the things they could've chosen, how morbid. :LOL:

You know that was the theme song of my graduating class in high school? I thought of all the things they could've chosen, how morbid. :LOL:

Because it sounds so pretty I think people immediately associate it with positive things.

It was mine too. 1978. At the time it was either that or Come Sail Away and Kansas won....
  • Like 1

It was mine too. 1978. At the time it was either that or Come Sail Away and Kansas won....

At least you didn't have Black Eyed Peas, The Streets or Rihanna as yours.

O to live in the days when bands like Styx and Foreigner were the charttoppers!

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

Yeah it was nice. We probably didn't appreciate it like we should have but then we didn't know anything else. The 70s and 80s were a great time for music. I was in a band when I was in high school and we played Hot Blooded, Miss America and The Grand Illusion.

• Like 1

Yeah it was nice. We probably didn't appreciate it like we should have but then we didn't know anything else. The 70s and 80s were a great time for music. I was in a band when I was in high school and we played Hot Blooded, Miss America and The Grand Illusion.

"Corporate rock" , which is a tag that follows a lot of bands I like from that era, sound more artsy than most of todays more "eclectic" bands.

Coldplay my ass. They sing one song with a female singer and immediately the world proclaims them "experimental".

"Corporate rock" , which is a tag that follows a lot of bands I like from that era, sound more artsy than most of todays more "eclectic" bands.

Coldplay my ass. They sing one song with a female singer and immediately the world proclaims them "experimental".

Well I think part of the problem is the music shows on TV like The Voice and American Idol make people think they can just go on TV and be successful overnight. You don't see a lot of bands working their way up through the ranks year after year, playing the bar scene and paying their dues. That's a real shame, because thats how a musician really learns his craft.

• Like 2

Well I think part of the problem is the music shows on TV like The Voice and American Idol make people think they can just go on TV and be successful overnight. You don't see a lot of bands working their way up through the ranks year after year, playing the bar scene and paying their dues. That's a real shame, because thats how a musician really learns his craft.

Agreed.

And I have one really big issue with these "talent" shows. The judges quite often are individuals who had to work hard to forge a career in music. Take, for example, Gwen Stefani. No Doubt formed in 1987, but had to work really hard for a hit, which didn't come until 1995. Prior to the Tragic Kingdom album (which was their third), the band had barely made a dime.

Now she today gets laughed at for being a pop starlet, which isn't fair as she is a damn fine talent and has proven from day one to be in total control of her career.

And now she is encouraging one hit wonders on national television.

So frustrating.

Agreed.

And I have one really big issue with these "talent" shows. The judges quite often are individuals who had to work hard to forge a career in music. Take, for example, Gwen Stefani. No Doubt formed in 1987, but had to work really hard for a hit, which didn't come until 1995. Prior to the Tragic Kingdom album (which was their third), the band had barely made a dime.

Now she today gets laughed at for being a pop starlet, which isn't fair as she is a damn fine talent and has proven from day one to be in total control of her career.

So frustrating.

Yeah I think so too. People tend to forget when someone gets popular like she has that they have worked hard to get where they are. I'm not sure why someone would take a job judging one of these shows but I guess it's for money. In her case it probably lets her stay home and take care the kids instead of being out on the road.

Agreed.

So frustrating.

Yeah I think so too. People tend to forget when someone gets popular like she has that they have worked hard to get where they are. I'm not sure why someone would take a job judging one of these shows but I guess it's for money. In her case it probably lets her stay home and take care the kids instead of being out on the road.

She has a new solo album and another No Doubt album in the works. Fans like me can rejoice! But even guys like Pharrel Williams and Will.I.Am have worked their backsides off to sustain their careers. As much as their music lacks a certain appeal for me, I feel they are wrong to take part in these shows.

So Kansas to Gwen Stefani.

This could only be a Segue Myles thread!

Agreed.

So frustrating.

She has a new solo album and another No Doubt album in the works. Fans like me can rejoice! But even guys like Pharrel Williams and Will.I.Am have worked their backsides off to sustain their careers. As much as their music lacks a certain appeal for me, I feel they are wrong to take part in these shows.

So Kansas to Gwen Stefani.

This could only be a Segue Myles thread!

You know you love it. :)

I haven't listened to Going for the One in a few weeks- I need to spin that one again. Such a great record.

Oh!

Oops...wrong thread.

I'll be going now... :blush:

Flip me, there I was a couple of months back proclaiming Kansas to be a sucky band, and now I think they have stolen a place in my top five bands of all time!

I will share videos later, but I think, with bands like Yes, Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater getting a lot of love on this forum, Kansas now deserve their moment!

And now I am gearing myself up for Gentle Giant. I am sure for the first six months I will adamantly detest them as well...

But as for Kansas, those seventies albums shine brilliantly, and their best work possibly surpasses even Rush for me.

Surpasses Rush?

:laughing guy:

• Like 1

Surpasses Rush?

Certain Rush albums...not their best work.

Surpasses Rush?

Certain Rush albums...not their best work.

:smoke: :P

APPRECIATE KANSAS DAMMIT!

Oh I do,

I enjoy them very much. In fact, I saw them on their first major tour back in the day. Just not in the same league as Rush!

I think I was unwise to make a comparison between the two. They aren't even similar!

But Kanas first six albums (including Two For The Show) are stunning, and I think i prefer seventies Kansas to seventies Rush.

Have yet to tackle eighties Kansas. Not bothered about that era to be honest, if I like it that is a bonus but I came to Kansas via their earliest work. And that is blowing me away right now!

Oh I do,

I enjoy them very much. In fact, I saw them on their first major tour back in the day. Just not in the same league as Rush!

I think I was unwise to make a comparison between the two. They aren't even similar!

But Kanas first six albums (including Two For The Show) are stunning, and I think i prefer seventies Kansas to seventies Rush.

Have yet to tackle eighties Kansas. Not bothered about that era to be honest, if I like it that is a bonus but I came to Kansas via their earliest work. And that is blowing me away right now!

That's fine,

We all have our taste in music.

Oh I do,

That's fine,

You can still appreciate Kansas more...lol...

Oh I do,

That's fine,

You can still appreciate Kansas more...lol...

Good for you,

Now go out and find a hottie to party with! :whipgirl: :hail: :D