The Sky Isn't Crying For Stevie Ray Vaughan On The Rush Forum! WTF?

RUSHHEAD666

So very glad to see Stevie Ray getting some good love, definitely. Right on, Earl (and everybody else)...

I did, in fact, see him on the same bill with Jeff Beck, in 1989- the first and only time I'd seen either one perform. I was 16. Absolutely blew me away. I'd been listening to him for a little bit, even at that point- my step-father was a big fan, and got me into him.

I remember the night he was killed very, very well. And I still have my local newspaper's article on his death, too.

I think it deserves to be mentioned that he had a long and terrible history with alcoholism and cocaine addiction, and lived through to the other side of that/- he had been clean and sober for two or three years at the time he was killed.

One of my favorite officially released performances of his, which hasn't been mentioned yet, is Life Without You, from Live Alive. Just fantastic.

No love for In Step, his last album with his band, Double Trouble? Come on! The earlier records are classics as well, yes...but I love In Step, too.

I have to get The Sky is Crying again. Haven't heard it in years.

Thanks Blue J! I'm loving all of these responses!!! The Sky IS crying for SRV on the Rush Forum!!

I remember hearing about SRV opening up for Sammy Hagar in the rain back in the Eighties. The Sammy Fanboy idiots threw bottles and other shit at Stevie and they tried to boo him off the wet stage. Stevie stuck it out and still played through the set!!

Sammy Hagar fans are morons. No wonder BAN VAN HAGAR SUCKS! LOL!!!!! KEYBOARD POP JUNK POOP!!!!

Stevie Ray Vaughan blows Sammy Hagar away! JMO!!

• Like 1

So very glad to see Stevie Ray getting some good love, definitely. Right on, Earl (and everybody else)...

I did, in fact, see him on the same bill with Jeff Beck, in 1989- the first and only time I'd seen either one perform. I was 16. Absolutely blew me away. I'd been listening to him for a little bit, even at that point- my step-father was a big fan, and got me into him.

I remember the night he was killed very, very well. And I still have my local newspaper's article on his death, too.

I think it deserves to be mentioned that he had a long and terrible history with alcoholism and cocaine addiction, and lived through to the other side of that/- he had been clean and sober for two or three years at the time he was killed.

One of my favorite officially released performances of his, which hasn't been mentioned yet, is Life Without You, from Live Alive. Just fantastic.

No love for In Step, his last album with his band, Double Trouble? Come on! The earlier records are classics as well, yes...but I love In Step, too.

I dated a guy that used to be a roadie for Stevie back when he was on all the drugs and alcohol. He said it was amazing the amount of stuff he could put in his body and still perform.

He got better when he quit doing dope. SOO much better

Yes I agree. Sadly "Live Alive" is one of the worst live albums every produced. It was so bad because he was so shitfaced that they had to touch it up and add shit in the studio. Horrific album.

It fukking pisses me off man. Stevie totally got cleaned up and was shining again on the guitar yet he was still killed in a fuckking helicopter crash.

Life ain't fair. Time for me to "Live By The Drop."

Thanks Blue J! I'm loving all of these responses!!! The Sky IS crying for SRV on the Rush Forum!!

I pulled out In Step this morning- I have to admit, I also had not listened to it in years- and just...wow! THE HOUSE IS A ROCKIN', DON'T BOTHER KNOCKIN'!!

It brought back some great memories (which is significant, because I have so few good memories from that time of my life. But anyway)- I'm struck by how much Chris Layton really swings on that album. Really it's the whole band, but the drums stand out in particular to me because of how many hours I spent playing those songs myself, when that album was new, or relatively new. I was 16, 17 years old...

I have to get the Legacy Edition of Couldn't Stand the Weather- all kinds of extra goodies on that. Or maybe I'll just get that box set that you linked!

The edition of In Step that I got had some bonus materials at the end. It has an edition of SRV Speaks, which is just an excerpt from an interview he did. Then if has 5 live tracks recorded from the last tour he was on, probably recorded within a couple weeks of his death. Included in these tracks are Texas Flood (a good version, but nowhere near the El Mocambo posted earlier in this thread,) and Life Without You. The version of Life Without You is absolutely incredible. It is a bit more up tempo from the slower, dreamy way he played it on Soul to Soul and the Live at Montreux '85. The solo he plays at the end is nothing short of breath taking, and his tone is god-like. Even today, it gives me the chills just thinking about it.
  • Like 1

Holy Shit you guys! Check out this!! I had to pick it up today thanks to this thread!! There are few goodies in it worth having!!!

It's Xmas time! Put it on your list!! IT'S INCREDIBLE!!

http://ultimateclass...aughan-box-set/

I think I have pretty much everything in this box set. What is nice is that they give you CD's of the Montreux shows. It's too bad they left out the Austin City Limits shows, especially the '89 one where he was promoting In Step. That show was incredible.

Life Without You isn't on Live Alive. Could you mean the 1985 Montreux version?

Life Without You isn't on Live Alive.

It was on the old vinyl copy I had. Last track on Side 4. Maybe it was dropped from the cd version?

• Like 1

It was on the old vinyl copy I had. Last track on Side 4. Maybe it was dropped from the cd version?

I guess it must have been. I have the CD version. I wonder if the iTunes version has it available on Live Alive.

Thanks for the info!

• Like 1

I pulled out In Step this morning- I have to admit, I also had not listened to it in years- and just...wow! THE HOUSE IS A ROCKIN', DON'T BOTHER KNOCKIN'!!

It brought back some great memories (which is significant, because I have so few good memories from that time of my life. But anyway)- I'm struck by how much Chris Layton really swings on that album. Really it's the whole band, but the drums stand out in particular to me because of how many hours I spent playing those songs myself, when that album was new, or relatively new. I was 16, 17 years old...

I have to get the Legacy Edition of Couldn't Stand the Weather- all kinds of extra goodies on that. Or maybe I'll just get that box set that you linked!

I love that Legacy Edition! It's INCREDIBLE!!! I wish they would do one for "Texas Flood!" This new brown box set that I posted a link for will also make you go crazy! There are a few discs in that box that are exclusive. Lots of more rare tracks!!! SRV RULE! Chris is a great drummer.

• Like 2

Thank you, Turbine Freight. Yes, it is on the vinyl. That's what I was referring to.

I really abhor being told that I'm wrong about something when I'm not.

Edited by Blue J

Watching his set from the Montreux Jazz Festival in 1982 right now- before he had ever released an album; before virtually anyone outside of Austin or San Antonio even knew who he was.

He's fanning like crazy on Dirty Pool as I'm typing this.

Simply amazing.

Watching his set from the Montreux Jazz Festival in 1982 right now- before he had ever released an album; before virtually anyone outside of Austin or San Antonio even knew who he was.

He's fanning like crazy on Dirty Pool as I'm typing this.

Simply amazing.

I totally agree!!! "Dirty Pool" Rules!

• Like 1

Haha...I just uncovered a neat little blast from the past, for myself in particular- so I'm gonna share. I was just going through some old analog cassettes of bootleg SRV shows that I have, and came across something that totally jarred a great memory of a long time ago.

I was in radio broadcasting during high school and college- my high school had its own FM radio station...and on the Friday after Stevie Ray was killed, I dedicated my morning show that day (August 31st of 1990) to playing all SRV & Double Trouble tunes. I also happen to have recorded the whole thing (for my own posterity, I suppose)...here is the track list for what I chose that day, in order:

Love Me Darlin'

Lenny

Cold Shot

Pride and Joy (from Live Alive)

Leave My Girl Alone

You'll Be Mine

Texas Flood

Riviera Paradise

Look at Little Sister (from Live Alive)

Honey Bee

Rude Mood

Crossfire

Willie the Wimp (from Live Alive)

Tightrope

Life Without You (from Live Alive)

Listening to it now, of course, it's a little bit humorous to hear myself, broadcasting on the radio at age 17...but man, did I enjoy those times. And listening to it also truly takes me back to the emotions I felt when he was killed.

Just thought I'd share. Carry on.

• Like 3