Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Geddy Lee's vocals?

Tony R

Why would I be ashamed of that? Ged has one of the best vocal ranges in rock history.

I am a fan of his vocals, but in the early days, while he could sing high, I've always felt that his lower vocals lacked a lot of the power of his higher vocals (and aren't that low in the first place). Nowadays he has much more lower register power (though he still doesn't go THAT low), but his upper register is, um, "not impressive". While, considering his whole career, you could make the case that he has both strong high notes and strong low(ish) notes, he never possessed both at the same time IMO.

You've gotta be kidding. His upper register is "not impressive"?? He f***ing killed Headlong Flight on the last tour!

Well, he has some power there (definitely more than most people or singers) but his enunciation is down the tubes.

• Like 1

Why would I be ashamed of that? Ged has one of the best vocal ranges in rock history.

I am a fan of his vocals, but in the early days, while he could sing high, I've always felt that his lower vocals lacked a lot of the power of his higher vocals (and aren't that low in the first place). Nowadays he has much more lower register power (though he still doesn't go THAT low), but his upper register is, um, "not impressive". While, considering his whole career, you could make the case that he has both strong high notes and strong low(ish) notes, he never possessed both at the same time IMO.

You've gotta be kidding. His upper register is "not impressive"?? He f***ing killed Headlong Flight on the last tour!

Well, he has some power there (definitely more than most people or singers) but his enunciation is down the tubes.

I won't argue that :D

There's been way too many discussions about Geddy's vocals lately. This topic is tired and has really been driven into the ground. And I'm tired of the negativity.

We need some polls.

You're tired of the negativity?

So f***ing what?

We could discuss Neal. It might yield something positive.... :eh:

Response from Mr. SpaghettiLee: Neil had sex with Brutus and I hate him.

In a very f*cked up way, I miss him.

• Like 1

There's been way too many discussions about Geddy's vocals lately. This topic is tired and has really been driven into the ground. And I'm tired of the negativity.

We need some polls.

So f***ing what?

We could discuss Neal. It might yield something positive.... :eh:

Response from Mr. SpaghettiLee: Neil had sex with Brutus and I hate him.

In a very f*cked up way, I miss him.

Don't disagree. It takes all to make this world go around. I can separate the stuff I don't like from the the stuff that makes me laugh. Sticks and stones etc.... :)
  • Like 2

If the music wasn't so interesting, I would hate his voice as well. But a lot of bands I love have non traditional vocals.

Guys like brad delp and lou gramm have great , radio friendly vocals, but what about the music? It's boring. I've always found vocals to to be overrated . It's the last thing I hear when listening to great music.

Brad Delp was amazing.
  • Like 1

Never been ashamed. Listen to him sing and play that ridiculous bass line during Circumstances. If that level of natural talent is something to be ashamed of then I am completely at a loss for words.
  • Like 2

We need some polls.

So f***ing what?

I love how barrel chested everyone is on the internet whilst sitting comfortably behind the protection of a keyboard. Makes me laugh.

We need some polls.

So f***ing what?

I love how barrel chested everyone is on the internet whilst sitting comfortably behind the protection of a keyboard. Makes me laugh.

Yeah. In real life he'd probably end up shitting his pants if he tried to say that to my face.

threads like these are kinda lame. "ignore my 2000000000000000 posts, I'm way too cool for this queer band" vs. "RUSH ARE PERFECT DONT YOU DARE CRITICIZE THEM TEST FOR ECHO IS AS GOOD AS HEMISPHERES AND YOU KNOW IT"

better idea for a thread - which club is dumber?

no, not "ashamed" of ged's vocals. I love his voice, but I won't pretend like he's the greatest singer out there, and I can't say I haven't laughed at him many times. he is the quintessential "has to grow on you" singer. I wouldn't let a non-fan hear any live material after 1996, and if I were trying to turn someone onto the band I would probably keep the first tunes they hear between 1980 and 1982

• Like 5

We need some polls.

So f***ing what?

Yeah. In real life he'd probably end up shitting his pants if he tried to say that to my face.

lol :eyeroll:

Edited by bathory
  • Like 4

We need some polls.

So f***ing what?

I don't say anythiing here I wouldn't say to someone in person

Edited by savagegrace26

threads like these are kinda lame. "ignore my 2000000000000000 posts, I'm way too cool for this queer band" vs. "RUSH ARE PERFECT DONT YOU DARE CRITICIZE THEM TEST FOR ECHO IS AS GOOD AS HEMISPHERES AND YOU KNOW IT"

better idea for a thread - which club is dumber?

no, not "ashamed" of ged's vocals. I love his voice, but I won't pretend like he's the greatest singer out there, and I can't say I haven't laughed at him many times. he is the quintessential "has to grow on you" singer. I wouldn't let a non-fan hear any live material after 1996, and if I were trying to turn someone onto the band I would probably keep the first tunes they hear between 1980 and 1982

This is the first comment that makes sense. If I try to introduce someone to Rush they listen to PeW or MP first and foremost. Exit...Stage Left is the first live album they hear, followed by Rush in Rio because that show is f***ing awesome. I think that was the best he ever sounded past the 80s.

What I get tired of is the irate criticism and being put off that the man can't still sing like he did when he was twenty-five. It's life man, get passed it.

Edited by Snyder80

We need some polls.

So f***ing what?

I reached for my old man diapers the moment I read that.

• Like 1

The only thing I'm ashamed of regarding Rush is this retarded thread....

I read an article that critiqued the singing style of a few rock singers and it took me back to the days of "introducing" my family to Rush in the mid 70s.

I was raised around Rush so the idea of being ashamed or embarassed by the way Geddy Lee sings was never an issue. In my house you were weird if you didn't like Rush.

Does the phrase "it sounds like a woman" mean anything to you?

ive had it said to me. but i dont hear the femininity.

So you sound like a woman as well as looking like one..?

First of all, I was saying that I have been told that GEDDY sounds feminine, NOT me.

And my voice is fine. Bit posh but perfectly fine.

And I look like a woman? Really?

• Like 1

Does the phrase "it sounds like a woman" mean anything to you?

ive had it said to me. but i dont hear the femininity.

So you sound like a woman as well as looking like one..?

First of all, I was saying that I have been told that GEDDY sounds feminine, NOT me.

And my voice is fine. Bit posh but perfectly fine.

And I look like a woman? Really?

Really.

We need some polls.

So f***ing what?

Me either. Thats why I try never to try to post something with even the potential to hurt anyone personally. It may be boring but it is me..... :)
  • Like 1

No, I'm not ashamed how he sings. He can still belt out a song. It's just that his voice isn't the same as it once was. I often think if I didn't know what he used to sound like, the way he sounds today wouldn't bother me so much.

I watched and listened to the Grace Under Pressure tour show last night and posted about it. He sang those songs so great and seemingly with no effort. If I didn't know that I wouldn't know the difference and his struggles as of late.....
  • Like 1

We need some polls.

So f***ing what?

Me either. Thats why I try never to try to post something with even the potential to hurt anyone personally. It may be boring but it is me..... :)

I try not to unless I'm really provoked. :LOL:

No, I'm not ashamed how he sings. He can still belt out a song. It's just that his voice isn't the same as it once was. I often think if I didn't know what he used to sound like, the way he sounds today wouldn't bother me so much.

I watched and listened to the Grace Under Pressure tour show last night and posted about it. He sang those songs so great and seemingly with no effort. If I didn't know that I wouldn't know the difference and his struggles as of late.....

I wish I had known his vocals would deteriorate so in later years, I would have gone to more concerts early on. Of course that's easy to say now. :)

Didn't you love The Weapon on that? If Xanadu wasn't on ESL, Grace Under Pressure would be my favorite dvd. And I agree with the what you wrote.

• Like 1