Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Freedom_Fighter

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Nov 16 2005, 05:05 PM)
QUOTE (R.G @ Nov 16 2005, 09:36 PM)
but i just don't think it really appeals to those who take literature seriously,

I think I'm going to have to disagree with you there RG. My degree was in Literature and I do take my reading quite seriously, being very partial to Shakespeare, Jonson, and Hardy among others.

Part of the problem seems to be that the books are, for all the fact that appeal to all ages, primarily aimed at the age the main characters are (ie, PS for 11, CoS for 12, PoA for 13, etc).

As for it being

QUOTE (R.G Posted: Nov 16 2005 @ 03:09 PM )

awfully written by an inept author

I really don't see how how you can say that. In my time, I have read some truly awful books and the Harry Potter ones certainly are not among them.

You are free to like or dislike the books (in my opinion, its your loss ) but before I accept such statements from anyone, I think I'd like to see if they could do any better and, as far as I know, we've only got one published author on the forum.

sorry, i didn't mean it to come across like that.

RG, how many of the books have you read?

QUOTE (R.G @ Nov 17 2005, 10:17 AM)
QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Nov 16 2005, 05:05 PM)
QUOTE (R.G @ Nov 16 2005, 09:36 PM)
but i just don't think it really appeals to those who take literature seriously,

I think I'm going to have to disagree with you there RG. My degree was in Literature and I do take my reading quite seriously, being very partial to Shakespeare, Jonson, and Hardy among others.

Part of the problem seems to be that the books are, for all the fact that appeal to all ages, primarily aimed at the age the main characters are (ie, PS for 11, CoS for 12, PoA for 13, etc).

As for it being

QUOTE (R.G Posted: Nov 16 2005 @ 03:09 PM )

awfully written by an inept author

I really don't see how how you can say that. In my time, I have read some truly awful books and the Harry Potter ones certainly are not among them.

You are free to like or dislike the books (in my opinion, its your loss ) but before I accept such statements from anyone, I think I'd like to see if they could do any better and, as far as I know, we've only got one published author on the forum.

sorry, i didn't mean it to come across like that.

RG, how many of the books have you read?

near choked on me coffee @ 4 books read......oh lmao !!!!

RG, I am glad to hear that you have actually read a few of the books. The books do get better the more she writes. Let me just say though that I dont think she is the greatest writer ever but I do think she has the potential to become one of the Masters.

I wasnt aware of just how in depth she has made the books until I started contributing to the message boards. Often in her books you have to find clues, she makes the reader have to really think. For instance something someone says in passing will be quite important later in the series and given you a huge clue but since it was just something completely said in passing you ignored it. She has done massive amounts of research into every aspect of the series to date. Besides the use of astronomy, astrology and history she has researched colors, animals and everything in between. Every main character was created for a specifc part of the story, from appearence, hair color, where they live, their past, their name, their birthday. The use of anagrams is quite fun too. Try delving beneath the surface as what may appear as one thing is actually another thing all together. Or wait until the last book comes out and read them all, I am sure the books will make much more sense and you'll have a better understanding of not only the books but of just how amazing the series is.

I am not trying to get you to love the series but understand why it is that we love the series, the amount of research, thought, planning and complexity of it all.

oh i do completely understand why you love it, don't get me wrong. I can also see the amount of work that has gone in to the books, that's clear i think. I just feel what she does is over-rated, as with any book an author must research and do all the other things you mention, and also there are many books with a far greater level of depth than the Harry Potter series. I am not questioning the story, as it is evidently comelling otherwise not so many pople would read it. My criticisms lie with the complexity of her language and how she writes, not what she writes about. And to address an earlier point made, published material does not mean that is is well written, only that it is believed to be able to make money. Therefore, the argument that 'you couldn't do an better' based on the fact i have not been publised, is made redundant.

well after the first and me slagging it off people said i had to read more because i must be wrong and not understand it and such things, so i read more so i could tell them i did in fact know what i was saying with full knowledge of what the books contained. i have now given up as it was just such a time consuming thing to do if you don't enjoy it.

My son has decided this one looks too scary (he's waiting for it on dvd so he can curl up on the couch and watch it) so here I am, 33 years old, and can't wait to see this movie even without a kid to take along as a "cover." laugh.gif

Anyway...

http://toons.artie.com/alphabet/numbers/arg-1-50-trans.gif MORE DAY!

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Nov 17 2005, 11:50 AM)
My son has decided this one looks too scary (he's waiting for it on dvd so he can curl up on the couch and watch it) so here I am, 33 years old, and can't wait to see this movie even without a kid to take along as a "cover." laugh.gif

Anyway...

biggrin.gif

common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif

can't flippin wait!!!!!!!!!!!

at this time tomorrow.. i'll be in the IMAX watchin GOF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

woohoo!!!!!!

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Nov 17 2005, 10:41 AM)
My son has decided this one looks too scary (he's waiting for it on dvd so he can curl up on the couch and watch it) so here I am, 33 years old, and can't wait to see this movie even without a kid to take along as a "cover."  laugh.gif

Anyway...

biggrin.gif

woohoo!!!!!!

http://www.picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10538/picnapoleondynamite1.jpg

After the 7th book is over she plans on doing something completely different. The series is aimed to teens at this point more than anything and her use of language is because they are written from the standpoint of a 16yr English boy, that does make a huge difference. Maybe as time goes on we will see just how bad or good she is.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 17 2005, 01:43 PM)
QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Nov 17 2005, 10:41 AM)
My son has decided this one looks too scary (he's waiting for it on dvd so he can curl up on the couch and watch it) so here I am, 33 years old, and can't wait to see this movie even without a kid to take along as a "cover."  laugh.gif

Anyway...

biggrin.gif

woohoo!!!!!!

http://www.picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10538/picnapoleondynamite1.jpg

Yesssssss! Lucky!

OK I reading a bunch of posts from people who went to the Midnight showing. This is what most are saying.

The film seemed rushed and thats due to how long the book was and how much they left out.

They didnt like how no one explained the Priori spell, that is pretty big.

Didnt do a good enough job setting up OOTP.

There wasnt enough emphasis placed on the relationship that Harry has with Sirius.

Clearly set up that it is Ron/Hermione and that Harry and Hermione are good friends.

They loved the Neville bits.

Not enough Snape.

The acting of the kids has gotten WAY better.

The special effects were awesome.

The graveyard scene is truly scary and the parents have been saying not to take your young kids to see it.

Voldemort was fantastic as was Dubledore.

The Riddle house is supposed to be a Muggle House and it looked to much like a Wizard House.

All around most have been saying it was good but it doesnt follow along with the book well enough.

Most of all what I have read most about is the Graveyard scene and just how scary it is.

QUOTE (pixey @ Nov 18 2005, 09:36 AM)
OK I reading a bunch of posts from people who went to the Midnight showing. This is what most are saying.

The film seemed rushed and thats due to how long the book was and how much they left out.
They didnt like how no one explained the Priori spell, that is pretty big.
Didnt do a good enough job setting up OOTP.
There wasnt enough emphasis placed on the relationship that Harry has with Sirius.
Clearly set up that it is Ron/Hermione and that Harry and Hermione are good friends.
They loved the Neville bits.
Not enough Snape.
The acting of the kids has gotten WAY better.
The special effects were awesome.
The graveyard scene is truly scary and the parents have been saying not to take your young kids to see it.
Voldemort was fantastic as was Dubledore.
The Riddle house is supposed to be a Muggle House and it looked to much like a Wizard House.
All around most have been saying it was good but it doesnt follow along with the book well enough.

Most of all what I have read most about is the Graveyard scene and just how scary it is.

I went to the midnight showing and although it was rushed and didn't follow the books exactly-mainly just leaving things out, there wasn't much changed besides two kinda big things-it was an amazing movie. It was kind of "dark", especially compared to the other movies, but it was also very funny at times. The acting was wayyy better, and you could actually feel the emotion in the ending because of what happens (I don't want to spoil for those who haven't read it, but if you have you know what I'm talking about). The special effects were pretty cool, especially all the underwater stuff. It was cg, but it was good cg, so no complaining. Awesome experience!

yup.. too rushed... they should have made it just a tad longer to include a few more things...(easier said than done)

the little girl that sat next to me moved when the graveyard scene started onto her mommies lap.....(scared FOR SURE) ohmy.gif

awesome special effects!!!

i felt if you had seen the previous HP film, you got the relationship between HP and Serius....(at least i did)

not enough snape!! LOL...

and i cried at graveyard scene..... sad.gif

my 12 yr old woke up this morning and announced she wanted to go see it again....... tongue.gif

the IMAX is an awesome venue to see HP.....a little more $, but worth the experience IMO....

I'm going to see it in three hours from now. Then I can finally open my eyes in this thread. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

It was Ok.

The guy who plays Ron is the only one out of the three who can act.

Maybe it'll look better on DVD when you can go for a pee and stretch your legs.