Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Freedom_Fighter

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Nov 15 2005, 12:29 PM)
ah, but I'm the Uber -Geek tongue.gif

True. But I'm not far behind you. biggrin.gif

People, I'm tellin ya - I made the mistake of reading Book 3 RIGHT before the movie came out and really regretted it. Having all the minute details of the book that fresh in your mind only makes you hyper-aware of all the stuff they cut for the movie. Never again will I re-read a Potter book within a few months of the movie coming out - I would have enjoyed Azkaban so much more had I not done that... eh.gif

Ya but you know its coming! There are definately going to be things left out of GOF and things in the movie that were never in the book. Thats to be expected! I can tell you whats NOT going to be in the movie that was in the book. One scene in particular I was quite hoping to see wont be in the movie. The book is huge!

QUOTE (pixey @ Nov 15 2005, 07:39 PM)
One scene in particular I was quite hoping to see wont be in the movie.

Would that be the 'ton-tongue toffee' perchance? I know its the part that most people were looking forward to seeing.

As for me, they've kept my favourite part in - 'Draco Malfoy, the Amazing Bouncing Ferret'

The scene where Moody turns Draco into a ferret is in there, just not sure how much of that scene is there. Oh and yes, the Ton-tongue toffee! That scene would have been hilarious!

Believe it or not I have only read the books once! I use the Lexicon very frequently as it helps to keep dates, names, and places straight. Plus its all catergorized!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 15 2005, 01:20 PM)
People, I'm tellin ya - I made the mistake of reading Book 3 RIGHT before the movie came out and really regretted it. Having all the minute details of the book that fresh in your mind only makes you hyper-aware of all the stuff they cut for the movie. Never again will I re-read a Potter book within a few months of the movie coming out - I would have enjoyed Azkaban so much more had I not done that... eh.gif

I have to quite simply keep the books in one area of my brain, and enjoy the movies for what they are...and they are fantastic interpretations (albeit short by necessity) of books that I adore.

No more, no less. I'm quite content to read the books and then enjoy the filmmaker's adaptations.

we're all going to see it Saturday night.

potter potter potter potter potter potter potter potter potter potter potter potter

weasley weasley

now for something we hope you'll really like....

am i the only one who doesn't like Harry Potter and think its awfully written by an inept author, and as for the films; tragic doesn't do justice to how awful they are.

i hope i'm not alone sad.gif

Each to their own RG. Have you read all the books? Most people that I know who have the same thoughts as you have only read one book or none at all. The stigma of its popularity sometimes turns people off, I know it did for years for me. I hated the popularity and refused to read them because of it. This is a series of books and should such be taken as that. In order to get the complexity of them you have to read all the books.

Its got nothing to do with its popularity, i just really don't like it, sorry. Although you're right, its popularity would put me off even if i did enjoy it. I think my main problem is with how its written, the use of English is just boring and unsophisticated.

i respect that people do enjoy it smile.gif

QUOTE (R.G @ Nov 16 2005, 09:09 AM)
am i the only one who doesn't like Harry Potter and think its awfully written by an inept author, and as for the films; tragic doesn't do justice to how awful they are.

i hope i'm not alone sad.gif

No, you'll find some Potter-haters here. Not me biggrin.gif but there are quite a few. So, you're not alone.

QUOTE (D-13 @ Nov 16 2005, 08:54 AM)
GETTING EXCITED NOW...

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Me, too, in case anyone hasn't noticed yet. biggrin.gif

I'm not a huge fan, although the books have got better as they've been published. I quite enjoyed reading the last one. Unfortunately the acting has got more wooden as the films have been released.

QUOTE (R.G @ Nov 16 2005, 07:48 AM)
Its got nothing to do with its popularity, i just really don't like it, sorry. Although you're right, its popularity would put me off even if i did enjoy it. I think my main problem is with how its written, the use of English is just boring and unsophisticated.

While I'm a HUGE harry potter fan, i have noticed this:

One time I read this insanely long book called Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson who's a really amazing author. The way he uses language is at a very high level IMHO. Immediately after reading that I read a JK Rowling book and I was shocked at by how simplistic the language was in comparison. It took me a little bit to shake off the style of the previous book to get into it. It's not perhaps at a college level of reading, but then again she is doing something quite remarkable, which is managing to appeal to both kids and adults. If it was too simplistic, adults would lose interest, and if it was too advanced, kids would lose interest. I think she finds a happy medium and she's full of SO many fantastic ideas that it's a breeze to read through.

Like Pixey and others, I resisted Harry Potter for years until my wife finally pummeled me into submission and I checked out the first book. I've been a fan ever since. Also, IMHO, I think from book 1-4 at least, each book was better than the one before it...

I totally agree Goob. The first book was very simple and a very easy read while each book since has become more and more complex. Its not all about the simplicity of the words but the complexity of the characters, which Rowling has done with quite alot of brilliance. This is much more than a story of boy wizard using magic to defeat an evil wizard. This story deals with pretty intense human problems. Child neglect, abuse, murder, torture, bullies and so much more. But it is also about love, compassion, loyalty, friendship, understanding, tolerance and again more.

The storylines become more and more intertwined and much more mysterious with every book. Birthdays, names, dates are all connected with mythology, astronomy, astrology and history. Rowling manages to give the reader an in depth understanding of these characters. To me its much more of a story about being a human, she just managed to do it within the use of magic.

I'm another one who came to Harry Potter very late - in fact it was after the Chamber of Secrets film came out that, quite by accident, a book club sent us CoS. Out of curiosity read it and was hooked. In fact, my Harry Potter obsession has overtaken my LotR obsession.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 16 2005, 01:59 PM)
QUOTE (R.G @ Nov 16 2005, 07:48 AM)
Its got nothing to do with its popularity, i just really don't like it, sorry. Although you're right, its popularity would put me off even if i did enjoy it.  I think my main problem is with how its written, the use of English is just boring and unsophisticated. 

While I'm a HUGE harry potter fan, i have noticed this:

One time I read this insanely long book called Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson who's a really amazing author. The way he uses language is at a very high level IMHO. Immediately after reading that I read a JK Rowling book and I was shocked at by how simplistic the language was in comparison. It took me a little bit to shake off the style of the previous book to get into it. It's not perhaps at a college level of reading, but then again she is doing something quite remarkable, which is managing to appeal to both kids and adults. If it was too simplistic, adults would lose interest, and if it was too advanced, kids would lose interest. I think she finds a happy medium and she's full of SO many fantastic ideas that it's a breeze to read through.

Like Pixey and others, I resisted Harry Potter for years until my wife finally pummeled me into submission and I checked out the first book. I've been a fan ever since. Also, IMHO, I think from book 1-4 at least, each book was better than the one before it...

i'm glad you understand goober, and i'm not denying the fact that she has done very well to write a book with a wide appeal (and made a vast profit from it) but i just don't think it really appeals to those who take literature seriously, evidently its a compelling story and i can understand why people enjoy it. i'm certainly not attacking the books or those who read it, i just wanted to see if anyone shared my opinion. smile.gif

This story deals with pretty intense human problems. Child neglect, abuse, murder, torture, bullies and so much more. But it is also about love, compassion, loyalty, friendship, understanding, tolerance and again more.
The storylines become more and more intertwined and much more mysterious with every book. Birthdays, names, dates are all connected with mythology, astronomy, astrology and history. Rowling manages to give the reader an in depth understanding of these characters. To me its much more of a story about being a human, she just managed to do it within the use of magic.

i realise that too (i don't dislike the books for lack of understanding them) but if i wanted a book to address these problems i could certainly find many books and authors who do it better.

QUOTE (R.G @ Nov 16 2005, 09:36 PM)
but i just don't think it really appeals to those who take literature seriously,

I think I'm going to have to disagree with you there RG. My degree was in Literature and I do take my reading quite seriously, being very partial to Shakespeare, Jonson, and Hardy among others.

Part of the problem seems to be that the books are, for all the fact that appeal to all ages, primarily aimed at the age the main characters are (ie, PS for 11, CoS for 12, PoA for 13, etc).

As for it being

QUOTE (R.G Posted: Nov 16 2005 @ 03:09 PM )

awfully written by an inept author

I really don't see how how you can say that. In my time, I have read some truly awful books and the Harry Potter ones certainly are not among them.

You are free to like or dislike the books (in my opinion, its your loss ) but before I accept such statements from anyone, I think I'd like to see if they could do any better and, as far as I know, we've only got one published author on the forum.