Tony Bennett & Lady GaGa! ALBUM OF THE YEAR!

RUSHHEAD666

Or Elton John... or Jobriath... or George Clinton... or Cher...

If We did this.....we'd be here all day. I don't know who Gaga is herself. She's a great mimic though. Nothing of her own though. I understand homage. but this is.......i'll be bowie tonight......now i'm Madonna!!!!!!!

Mick

I love Lady Gaga, an her vocals on this album are fantastic.

I agree, an album of the year. Although Ella Henderson's Chapter One deluxe edition is one of the greatest pop albums I have ever heard.

She's a fu***** idiot!! :LOL:

You say that like it is a bad thing haaha!

Anyone seen the video and heard the song Judas? Love it. Her circus freak world view is just mesmerizing when she is on top form. As an artist, her albums suck. But so many of her singles are amazingly hooky!

Your right,

She is a circus freak!! :wacko: :laughing yellow guy:

Again: that isn't a bad thing.

She loves both Iron Maiden and Bruce Springsteen. She's a legend.

She is as derivative as an "artist" can be. Nothing new. Zilch. Zero. Nil. If she is a legend, it might not be for the reasons you would like.

Can I take back my saying she is a legend?

We all make woopsies.

I agree, an album of the year. Although Ella Henderson's Chapter One deluxe edition is one of the greatest pop albums I have ever heard.

Anyone seen the video and heard the song Judas? Love it. Her circus freak world view is just mesmerizing when she is on top form. As an artist, her albums suck. But so many of her singles are amazingly hooky!

Your right,

A legend?

In her own mind! :joker:

Your right,

She is as derivative as an "artist" can be. Nothing new. Zilch. Zero. Nil. If she is a legend, it might not be for the reasons you would like.

Can I take back my saying she is a legend?

We all make woopsies.

:no:

Your right,

A legend?

Great. I will never live this down.

I meant Leg End. Lady Gaga is a Leg End.

Edited by Segue Myles

Your right,

A legend?

Great. I will never live this down.

I meant Leg End. Lady Gaga is a Leg End.

Segue you should know by now........you DO NOT just spill anything in your head on this board.........um that never stopped me.........BUT YA DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!! lol

Mick

I was interested in watching some Lady GaGa live so I checked out her live dvd Born This Way In New York City and I must say I thought it was complete CRAP!

It was hard to watch. Bad dancing. Bad set designs. Bad dancers. A few would talk during the show. Monster Ball Bullshit.

What a waste of time. I only lasted through half of it.

JUNK.

Glad she is singing with Tony instead of all that "Middle aged Madonna" Bullshit.

"Middletown Dreams"

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 1

Bennett is a lounge singing jazz whore who will make records with anyone these days because he knows he's 98 years old and he could self destruct at any time. He'll even make records with Metalica. In fact he begged Lars and Hetfield to do the Lucy album but they said NO you damn whore, you're making us look bad, we're the bigger whores! We're the WHORES of FALSE METAL!!!

:AlienSmiley: :aliensmiley: :AlienSmiley: :aliensmiley: :AlienSmiley: :aliensmiley:

• Like 2

OK, so she doesn't have the best pipes for this kind of music, but she sure knows how to liven up what could have been an extremely dull video.

I disagree. I think her voice is perfect for this. Her work with Tony Bennet sounds authentic, and I could easily mistake this album as a collection of grade A vintage recordings.

Only major pop star who rivals her is Beyonce.

That's not much of an endorsement. There are certainly female vocalists in the recording industry whose voices are far more suited to singing jazz standards than Lady G.

OK, just to expand my musical knowledge, could you drop a few names? I don't mean to engage you or challenge you, I just would like to know so I can listen to them.

I was interested in watching some Lady GaGa live so I checked out her live dvd Born This Way In New York City and I must say I thought it was complete CRAP!

It was hard to watch. Bad dancing. Bad set designs. Bad dancers. A few would talk during the show. Monster Ball Bullshit.

What a waste of time. I only lasted through half of it.

JUNK.

Glad she is singing with Tony instead of all that "Middle aged Madonna" Bullshit.

"Middletown Dreams"

:LOL:

OK, so she doesn't have the best pipes for this kind of music, but she sure knows how to liven up what could have been an extremely dull video.

I disagree. I think her voice is perfect for this. Her work with Tony Bennet sounds authentic, and I could easily mistake this album as a collection of grade A vintage recordings.

That's not much of an endorsement. There are certainly female vocalists in the recording industry whose voices are far more suited to singing jazz standards than Lady G.

OK, just to expand my musical knowledge, could you drop a few names? I don't mean to engage you or challenge you, I just would like to know so I can listen to them.

Diana Krall and Norah Jones come to mind.

They are not even remotely similar!

Seriously, comparing Lady Gaga to Norah Jones because theey are both classed as pop music is the same as saying Rush and Korn are comparable because they both get played on rock radio.

Seriously, singers like Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Ariana Grande, Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston may not be your cup of tea, they may not be too artsy and thier music may lack substance or soul, but to deny they have tremendous voices is ridiculous.

Say what you like, but these birds can sing! No doubt Krall and Jones are hugely talented, but they really are not decent comparisons.

I am weird because I can play a Celtic Forst or At The Gates album and get as much from it as i do Lady Gaga, Beyonce or Whitney Houstons finest songs. And the truth is, throwaway pop is bearable because women like these have fantastic voices.

The same sort of tripe gets spoken about by pop fans regarding rock and metal: "Its all noise", "All depressing", "Tuneless". Being a big fan of pop, rock, metal and jazz i tend to always get stuck in these sorts of arguments, because i tend to have strong supportive words to say for both teams.

You can dislike the music, but that doesn't make the creators talentless. Lady Gaga has one of my favourite voices in modern popular music, i just wish she didnt waste it on so much junk.

• Like 1

Oh, ok. Two voices I know and don't particularly like.

More to the point, they don't strike me as particularly powerful. I love the way Gaga goes full power on songs like "Cheek to cheek" or "Anything goes", that's where her full-blown voice shines. I could think of Beyonce or some other soul or gospel-influenced artist, but usually "soul" voices don't do much for me.

Edited by H. P. L.

Oh I'm sorry, were they supposed to be?!

Seriously, comparing Lady Gaga to Norah Jones

Which I didn't do, but go on.

because theey are both classed as pop music is the same as saying Rush and Korn are comparable because they both get played on rock radio.

Seriously, singers like Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Ariana Grande, Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston may not be your cup of tea, they may not be too artsy and thier music may lack substance or soul, but to deny they have tremendous voices is ridiculous.

Please point out where I've denied their talent.

Say what you like, but these birds can sing!

I never said otherwise.

No doubt Krall and Jones are hugely talented, but they really are not decent comparisons.

Again, I made no comparisons. I said there are female voices better suited to singing jazz standards than Lady G and I was then asked to name some names, which I did. If you don't agree that the women I named are better suited to singing jazz standards than Lady G, that's fine, but I fail to see why you're throwing so much straw into the discussion.

I am weird because I can play a Celtic Forst or At The Gates album and get as much from it as i do Lady Gaga, Beyonce or Whitney Houstons finest songs. And the truth is, throwaway pop is bearable because women like these have fantastic voices.

The same sort of tripe gets spoken about by pop fans regarding rock and metal: "Its all noise", "All depressing", "Tuneless". Being a big fan of pop, rock, metal and jazz i tend to always get stuck in these sorts of arguments, because i tend to have strong supportive words to say for both teams.

You can dislike the music,

I never said I did.

but that doesn't make the creators talentless.

I never said they were. My goodness, you must have such interesting conversations in your head!

Lady Gaga has one of my favourite voices in modern popular music, i just wish she didnt waste it on so much junk.

I'm sure you're not alone in that opinion.

because theey are both classed as pop music is the same as saying Rush and Korn are comparable because they both get played on rock radio.

I never said otherwise.

No doubt Krall and Jones are hugely talented, but they really are not decent comparisons.

Again, I made no comparisons. I said there are female voices better suited to singing jazz standards than Lady G and I was then asked to name some names, which I did. If you don't agree that the women I named are better suited to singing jazz standards than Lady G, that's fine, but I fail to see why you're throwing so much straw into the discussion.

I never said I did.

I never said they were. My goodness, you must have such interesting conversations in your head!

Lady Gaga has one of my favourite voices in modern popular music, i just wish she didnt waste it on so much junk.

For goodness sake Segue, stop flying off the handle!

Sorry dude, i am having one of those ranty, shouty days where I could probably find only bad things to say about Bruce Springsteen.

More to the point, they don't strike me as particularly powerful. I love the way Gaga goes full power on songs like "Cheek to cheek" or "Anything goes", that's where her full-blown voice shines. I could think of Beyonce or some other soul or gospel-influenced artist, but usually "soul" voices don't do much for me.

Sorry, I didn't know this was a trick question. So what you wanted me do was to name some female voices who strike you as particularly powerful and whose voices you like more than Lady G. Yeah, I'll pass on that.

I never said otherwise.

I never said I did.

Sorry dude, i am having one of those ranty, shouty days where I could probably find only bad things to say about Bruce Springsteen.

I get that you really like lady G and that you don't agree there are female singers out there who are better suited to singing jazz standards than she is. And that's pretty much as far as you can go with that: you can simply disagree with my statement.

Sorry, I didn't know this was a trick question. So what you wanted me do was to name some female voices who strike you as particularly powerful and whose voices you like more than Lady G. Yeah, I'll pass on that.

Hey mister, you KNOW it wasn't a tricky question and you KNOW my answer wasn't meant to invalidate your opinion.

If you're angry at Myles, take it to him, not to me. :madra:

Allow me to contestualize more. I know you used the expression "jazz standards" in your post, but since we're talking about this particular album by Gaga and Bennet, my mind was focused on the kind of jazz standards that are present in this album, which means full band, swinging, upbeat standards, while Jones and Krall (of whom I have several albums) seem to me more comfortable on the soft, whispered, low key end of the jazz spectrum. I have a hard time recalling one of them going full power. So, with my mind set on those coordinates, I was expecting names on the same wavelenght.

In any way, I didn't diss or minimize your answer. It was just: oh ok, I was thinking someone different.

In no way I'm here to make a troll-defence of Gaga or whatever. I just enjoy the album, that's all.

I never said otherwise.

I never said I did.

I get that you really like lady G and that you don't agree there are female singers out there who are better suited to singing jazz standards than she is. And that's pretty much as far as you can go with that: you can simply disagree with my statement.

Ok, there are definitely better singers for jazz recordings out there, but in all honesty this album works because of what Gaga brings to these songs. Sure, at the end of the day i agree there are better candidates, but her vocals and their chemistry as a pair is infectious and fun. These are well known songs, and yet these have a zing that makes them sound fresh.

As for being a fan of Gaga, i really am not. Her albums are dreadful, but considering she has quite a few classic modern singles that i admit to loving, and that her music videos (judas and telephone come to mind) have a mighty fine sense of knowing silliness, i will admit i find her a brilliant entertainer. sad thing is, she doesn't seem to know when enough is enough, but that doesnt take away from the quality of her finest moments.

And if she learns from her work with Bennett that she doesn't need a gimmick to sell records, we may have a future classic pop album in the pipeline.

Many so called "pretenders" have proven themselves with great albums.

But i also have a lot of doubt. but i can still hpe for the best! she has a lot of talent, i just hope her potential is fully realised before she becomes a joke for eternity.

I never said otherwise.

I never said I did.

Ok, there are definitely better singers for jazz recordings out there, but in all honesty this album works because of what Gaga brings to these songs. Sure, at the end of the day i agree there are better candidates, but her vocals and their chemistry as a pair is infectious and fun. These are well known songs, and yet these have a zing that makes them sound fresh.

As for being a fan of Gaga, i really am not. Her albums are dreadful, but considering she has quite a few classic modern singles that i admit to loving, and that her music videos (judas and telephone come to mind) have a mighty fine sense of knowing silliness, i will admit i find her a brilliant entertainer. sad thing is, she doesn't seem to know when enough is enough, but that doesnt take away from the quality of her finest moments.

And if she learns from her work with Bennett that she doesn't need a gimmick to sell records, we may have a future classic pop album in the pipeline.

Many so called "pretenders" have proven themselves with great albums.

But i also have a lot of doubt. but i can still hpe for the best! she has a lot of talent, i just hope her potential is fully realised before she becomes a joke for eternity.

Before she becomes a joke for eternity? :laughing guy:

She's became a joke on the overblown preachy Born this Way. And i enjoyed her first 2 BTW.

Mick

Same. She had a lot of great singles, and in all honesty, for what it was, The Fame Monster was very enjoyable.

And I have to be honest: I enjoy Born This Way a lot more than I think I should...Marry The Night, You And I, Edge Of Glory, and Judas are perfect slices of pop.