The Columbo thread

Your_Lion

Just watched Double Exposure with Robert Culp as the murderer. Excellent episode where Columbo uses the murderer's own theory to catch him.

Great stuff.

That one's one of my earliest Columbo memories. I think I was about 5, or something at the time. I have a vivid memory of the scene where the victim gets thirsty watching the film.

My other early vivid Columbo memory is Fisher Stevens angrily smashing the milkshakes. That one's a bit of a random memory. I guess it stuck in my head because I thought it was a waste of good milkshake :LOL:

I also loved that show. Did anyone ever see him Laugh? He had many good guest stars too! Smart as a whip.

I think he may have laughed a bit while trading limericks in The Conspirators.

He often has a smirk and a twinkle in the eye, though.

• Like 1

He almost laughs when he's getting his hot dog at Travel Town right before he meets The Director in Identity Crisis. The vendor, someone he knows, says he'll come to Columbo's house to swim, and he says its a normal sized pool, not a lake (the vendor is a large guy).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVrsKVeGs4Y

Go to 1:05:00, its around 1:06:00

• Like 1

I watched Lovely but Lethal last night. Great cast in this one, with Vera Miles, Martin Sheen and Vincent Price (but why they didn't get him to be the killer at some point is beyond me :huh: )

Why don't people realise that it's not a very good idea to try blackmailing someone who you suspect of being a murderer? It never ends well.

Edited by Your_Lion
  • Like 1

He almost laughs when he's getting his hot dog at Travel Town right before he meets The Director in Identity Crisis. The vendor, someone he knows, says he'll come to Columbo's house to swim, and he says its a normal sized pool, not a lake (the vendor is a large guy).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVrsKVeGs4Y

Go to 1:05:00, its around 1:06:00

OK I have another one. Watching Short Fuse, after he sprays himself with silly string (36:00+), he is basically very close to/is laughing and comes out of Roddy McDowell's dark room with a huge smile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYIgOh34gs4

Note the pitch drop in these uploads. Is that to fool the YouTube police?

• Like 1

OK, I ran across Columbo laughing full out. Double Shock, on TV with Martn Landau on his cooking show, hes trying to separate eggs and hes outright laughing!

Of course. How could I have forgotten that one.

I get the feeling a lot of that scene was improvised.

OK, I ran across Columbo laughing full out. Double Shock, on TV with Martn Landau on his cooking show, hes trying to separate eggs and hes outright laughing!

I think so too! Also very funny was his interplay with the house mistress... you may remember shes the same actress as Kate OConnell from The Conspirators. Did you also notice the house in this episode is the same as Patrick McGoohans in Identity Crisis where he plays the CIA man? The interior shots are different, but the exterior courtyard/spanish style house and the front door are identical.

I think so too! Also very funny was his interplay with the house mistress... you may remember shes the same actress as Kate OConnell from The Conspirators. Did you also notice the house in this episode is the same as Patrick McGoohans in Identity Crisis where he plays the CIA man? The interior shots are different, but the exterior courtyard/spanish style house and the front door are identical.

I hadn't noticed about the house. But, yeah, those scenes are funny where she yells at him for leaving cigar ash, and breaking the switch on the TV. :LOL:

Also, another good thing about that episode: Julie "Catwoman" Newmar

• Like 1

I hadn't noticed about the house. But, yeah, those scenes are funny where she yells at him for leaving cigar ash, and breaking the switch on the TV. :LOL:

Also, another good thing about that episode: Julie "Catwoman" Newmar

Oh yes. It took me a second to place her... but her eyes...

Rewatched The Greenhouse Jungle last night. I always love the look on Ray Milland's face when he realises where Columbo got the third bullet from.

Also, I like that the character of the other Detective, Sergeant Wilson, introduced in this episode, returns in Now You See Him (My favourite Columbo).

It's fun watching the character's opinion of Columbo change of the course of the story. He starts off almost in awe, since he'd heard Columbo was one the the departments best. Then his opinions of Columbo's competence seem to dwindle, until right at the end.

When he returns in Now You See Him, he fully trusts Columbo's abilities.

• Like 1

Just re-watched Murder,Smoke & Shadows. This is one of my favourites from the later series. I love how Columbo gradually gets under the murderer's skin by irritating him bit by bit.

The final scene where Columbo pulls the rug out from underneath the murderer's feet is great.

Fisher Stevens, who plays Alex Brady (the culprit), is brilliant in this episode.

Just watched Suitable For Framing & A Friend In Deed.

Heaven!

Those contain two of my favourite "Gotcha" moments in the series.

Got the complete series DVD box for my birthday. Now the marathon can start. http://www.ahnis-smiley.net/columbo.gif
  • Like 2