The Columbo thread

Your_Lion

Got the complete series DVD box for my birthday. Now the marathon can start. http://www.ahnis-smiley.net/columbo.gif

I envy you GF!

Even more strange.

At the same time I got the box, a german TV station started to show all Columbo episodes, without commercial breaks.

I check Columbo-ian fields right now. :) :smoke:

• Like 2

Got the complete series DVD box for my birthday. Now the marathon can start. http://www.ahnis-smiley.net/columbo.gif

Is it the DVD set that's done up to look like a cigar box? That looks pretty nifty.

I've got them all on DVD, too. But I've got one big set with all the 70's ones, and four other smaller sets that make up the later Columbos

• Like 1

Is it the DVD set that's done up to look like a cigar box? That looks pretty nifty.

I've got them all on DVD, too. But I've got one big set with all the 70's ones, and four other smaller sets that make up the later Columbos

Yes, it's the cigar box and it has really a nice look to it, but the content is even better. :)

I've seen the first 5 discs so far and what a great gift it is. Brilliant.

I'm happy like a little boy. So much memories in those 70's episodes.

The marathon goes on tomorrow...

Edited by greyfriar
  • Like 1

I've never watched one episode of Columbo...I feel awkward.

Give me the low down on this show!

It's a detective show...but they're not whodunits, because you see the murder taking place. Instead the focus is on the cat-and-mouse game between Columbo and the killer
  • Like 4

I've never watched one episode of Columbo...I feel awkward.

Give me the low down on this show!

It's a detective show...but they're not whodunits, because you see the murder taking place. Instead the focus is on the cat-and-mouse game between Columbo and the killer

I've never seen one bad episode of Columbo. They're all very well considered and fun to watch.

TM check him out and let us know what you think. I promise you'll not be disappointed.

• Like 3

Just finished the first season and found out that I have 60 (!!!) episodes left to watch. :banana: :wacko: :7up:
  • Like 2

Over the last few days I've watched: Old Fashioned Murder, Murder Under Glass, Grand Deceptions and Uneasy Lies the Crown.

Can't get enough of him :D

• Like 3

Over the last few days I've watched: Old Fashioned Murder, Murder Under Glass, Grand Deceptions and Uneasy Lies the Crown.

I always liked Uneasy Lies The Crown as one of the later episodes. It's a very good character study of a ruthless murderer who is urbane & charming on the surface but cruel & amoral underneath. The only bit that spoils it for me is that t*t who does the impersonations at the card school.

• Like 1

I'm watching chronologically, so I stuck in the middle of the second season right now. I have not enough time and serenity at the moment, to really enjoy the show. :(

Sucks that the cigar box came without a booklet. Only way to see the titles is to take out the cover. They're printed on the back side of each cover and you f**kin' can't read them. Decadent first world problems, I know. :)

I always liked Uneasy Lies The Crown as one of the later episodes. It's a very good character study of a ruthless murderer who is urbane & charming on the surface but cruel & amoral underneath. The only bit that spoils it for me is that t*t who does the impersonations at the card school.

I like that one too.

As for the impersonator, I just figured since they had Nancy Walker, Dick Sergeant and the baseball player all playing themselves, that he was just another celebrity playing himself.

It just sets the killer up as a bigshot, playing cards with famous people.

I'm watching chronologically, so I stuck in the middle of the second season right now. I have not enough time and serenity at the moment, to really enjoy the show. :(

Sucks that the cigar box came without a booklet. Only way to see the titles is to take out the cover. They're printed on the back side of each cover and you f**kin' can't read them. Decadent first world problems, I know. :)

Yeah, my 70's boxset isn't labelled very well either. All the titles are written on the back of the box by season, but there's no other indication of what episodes are on which disc...so I just wrote them out on a piece of paper for myself.

Sorry you're not finding the time or serenity to really get into it at the moment...but there's no need to rush through it. That's the joy about having them on DVD. You can put one on whenever you're in the mood.

Edited by Your_Lion
  • Like 1

I'm seriously tempted to get that cigar boxset as a treat to myself!

Go for it. :ebert:

I'd get it myself, if I didn't already own them all.

Columbo has so much replay value. I never tire of them. With a lot of other detective shows, where the basis is on finding out who did it, it's hard to enjoy them a second time when you already know the answer. With Columbo's focus on the cat-and-mouse game, and the interplay between the actors, you can watch them over and over.

Edited by Your_Lion
  • Like 2

In the last few days I've watched The Most Dangerous Match, How to Dial a Murder, Double Exposure and Mind Over Mayhem.

On a big Columbo kick lately

• Like 2

In the last few days I've watched The Most Dangerous Match, How to Dial a Murder, Double Exposure and Mind Over Mayhem.

Double Exposure is a classic. Robert Culp is brilliant in that one. How Columbo catches him using his own theory is great.

• Like 1

Double Exposure is a classic. Robert Culp is brilliant in that one. How Columbo catches him using his own theory is great.

Yeah, I love how he does that. And I love that Robert Culp is actually impressed.

That one has extra nostalgia for me, because that one (and the Fisher Stevens one) are my earliest memories of Columbo. I must have been 5 or 6 at the time, but I have a clear image in my head of the guy getting thirsty because of the subliminal picture of the drink.

• Like 1

Yeah, I love how he does that. And I love that Robert Culp is actually impressed.

That one has extra nostalgia for me, because that one (and the Fisher Stevens one) are my earliest memories of Columbo. I must have been 5 or 6 at the time, but I have a clear image in my head of the guy getting thirsty because of the subliminal picture of the drink.

Cool memory! Yes I like that ending when Culp's character says something like "You never would have caught me if it wasn't for my theory" and Columbo replies "If there was a reward for your capture I'd support your claim to it".

The part I really like in that one is when they're on the golf course & Culp basically says I know you know I killed him but we both know you can't prove it without really saying it & using the rules of golf as a metaphor. It's very clever writing & well acted.

BTW, the Fisher Stevens one, Murder, Smoke & Shadows is also one of my favourites from the later series.

• Like 1

Haven't seen the episodes you're talking about, but reading about them gives me a thrill of anticipation. :)
  • Like 2

Haven't seen the episodes you're talking about, but reading about them gives me a thrill of anticipation. :)

Hope I haven't spoiled them for you! I didn't think that Columbo needed spoilers as you always know who did it right at the start. Maybe I should use spoilers in this thread?

• Like 1

Hope I haven't spoiled them for you! I didn't think that Columbo needed spoilers as you always know who did it right at the start. Maybe I should use spoilers in this thread?

No worries man. I think it will take a while till I get to the later episodes. I'm still watching the second series.

• Like 1