We're rockin' and rollin' here in California

x1yyz

At 3:20 Pacific time this morning we had a fairly big earthquake out here in Northern California. It was centered in the Napa area, about 30 miles northeast of San Francisco. It measured 6.0 and was the biggest quake I've felt since the disastrous '89 Loma Prieta earthquake, which was a 6.9. I can't find any data on the duration but I'm guessing it was 20 seconds long.

I think I was awake when it happened, although it may have woken me up. I heard the house creak, the dishes were rattling, and the cats freaked out and ran out of the room. I have some cousins in the Napa area whose houses suffered a bit of damage with bookcases and such falling over. Many buildings up there have been damaged as well.

I haven't felt any of the four (so far) aftershocks (measuring 2.5-2.8).

I don't like earthquakes. It's not so much the unpredictableness, but rather, the fact that when they're happening you never know how long they are going to last or how bad they're going to get. Maybe it's because I'm a native Californian, but I'll still take a quake over a tornado any day.

• Like 2

Yeah, they showed some fires, on TV. I hope you guys are OK. I'll never forget the erfquake during the World Series. I think I was only 12 or 13, but it was unreal seeing the 580 freeway collapsed like that.

Guess there are trade offs in life with many things. You pay a price to live in such a beautiful place. I am happy you are safe and sound... :) Edited by Narpski
  • Like 1

I just found this article with lots of photos: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Northern-California-quake-Child-in-chimney-5708941.php Note that most of the damaged buildings are brick. I'm guessing those are older buildings because modern building codes do not allow unreinforced brick for this very reason. Edited by x1yyz

Guess there are trade offs in life with many things. You pay a price to live in such a beautiful place. I am happy you are safe and sound... :)

^This. San Francisco is the most beautiful city in North America.
  • Like 4

At 3:20 Pacific time this morning we had a fairly big earthquake out here in Northern California. It was centered in the Napa area, about 30 miles northeast of San Francisco. It measured 6.0 and was the biggest quake I've felt since the disastrous '89 Loma Prieta earthquake, which was a 6.9. I can't find any data on the duration but I'm guessing it was 20 seconds long.

I think I was awake when it happened, although it may have woken me up. I heard the house creak, the dishes were rattling, and the cats freaked out and ran out of the room. I have some cousins in the Napa area whose houses suffered a bit of damage with bookcases and such falling over. Many buildings up there have been damaged as well.

I haven't felt any of the four (so far) aftershocks (measuring 2.5-2.8).

I don't like earthquakes. It's not so much the unpredictableness, but rather, the fact that when they're happening you never know how long they are going to last or how bad they're going to get. Maybe it's because I'm a native Californian, but I'll still take a quake over a tornado any day.

You need to move to Tennessee, where the tea is sweet, and so are the people!

No earthquakes in the Smoky Mountains

• Like 2

Guess there are trade offs in life with many things. You pay a price to live in such a beautiful place. I am happy you are safe and sound... :)

^This. San Francisco is the most beautiful city in North America.

Indeed! The city is on my bucket list. Probably on my top 3 list over cities I must experience. I was so close to living a whole month in San Francisco but money was short and I bailed out. With websites like Airbnb and Wimdu it will happen one day :)

I just found this article with lots of photos: http://www.sfgate.co...ney-5708941.php Note that most of the damaged buildings are brick. I'm guessing those are older buildings because modern building codes do not allow unreinforced brick for this very reason.

The quake took down a WalMart. One at a time. . . .

I do hope no one in the WalMart got hurt, though.

• Like 3

I just found this article with lots of photos: http://www.sfgate.co...ney-5708941.php Note that most of the damaged buildings are brick. I'm guessing those are older buildings because modern building codes do not allow unreinforced brick for this very reason.

Was this one a WalMart or a WalMarts?.... :huh:

Just one. A good start, though.

Just one. A good start, though.

It was meant as a joke but if I have to explain it really isn't funny at all. It would only be mildly amussing to those who do get it.... :LOL: :blush:

Lots of wine bottles and barrels came crashing down. :-(

Now that is a sad waste. :(