New Peart update

theredtamasrule

I like to go to these multi page threads and look at the starter or main topic and skip to the last page. the last post never has anything to do with the actual topic but its kind of interesting to back track and see how it all evolved lol. this has to be up there with the top. now neil has been f***ing a buffalo.

I find it funny that the 99% of you guys actually take what Neil writes to heart like it was written by some deity.

Neil's just another guy. Yes, he is the drummer of Rush, but honestly, why care so much? It's just a blog! Let him write what he wants! It doesn't impact you.

#RandPaul2016 #Freedomofspeech #idontgivearatsasswhatneilpeartsaysbecauseithanoimpactonmylife

• Like 3

His attitude towards people at large is developmentally retarded, IMO. I'd still though love to meet the guy. I'd keep the topic to cars as I'm sure any other topic would just start an argument.

Neil's complete attitude towards meeting "fans" can be completely understood and justified in those three sentences. If I was Neil, my attitude would be exactly the same.

Yeah, Geddy and Alex have sure been burned by being at least minimally courteous and friendly towards fans. Gets them every time. Suckers. If only they followed Neil's example.

When has he not been courteous toward fans? Want to give some examples?

Apologies for taking so long to get back to your question. Real life came up and all. Plenty of anecdotes but only incident in writing I could find was of one Edna Gropnel of Oconomowoc Wisconsin. Won a meet the band radio contest when she correctly answered the call-in show question, "According to the Canadian rock and roll band Rush, what kind of tree formed a union in response to Oak oppression?" Presented Neil with a LP of 2112 to sign for her shut-in teenage grandson who shared an obsession for Rush, Cheetos, and World of Warcraft. Neil braced himself for the signing, attempting to be as pleasant as possible (so witnesses report) when Edna made the most fatal of errors and asked Neil "Is that drumming you do hard? It looks hard." Reportedly, Neil's face went ashen, and he then spun around and stalked off angrily grumbling. Edna was crestfallen, asking over and over to anyone near, "What did I do? What did I do?!" Weekly World News, October 1996, page 11. Look it up. ;)

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

His attitude towards people at large is developmentally retarded, IMO. I'd still though love to meet the guy. I'd keep the topic to cars as I'm sure any other topic would just start an argument.

Neil's complete attitude towards meeting "fans" can be completely understood and justified in those three sentences. If I was Neil, my attitude would be exactly the same.

Yeah, Geddy and Alex have sure been burned by being at least minimally courteous and friendly towards fans. Gets them every time. Suckers. If only they followed Neil's example.

Apologies for taking so long to get back to your question. Real life came up and all. Plenty of anecdotes but only incident in writing I could find was of one Edna Gropnel of Oconomowoc Wisconsin. Won a meet the band radio contest when she correctly answered the call-in show question, "According to the Canadian rock and roll band Rush, what kind of tree formed a union in response to Oak oppression?" Presented Neil with a LP of 2112 to sign for her shut-in teenage grandson who shared an obsession for Rush, Cheetos, and World of Warcraft. Neil braced himself for the signing, attempting to be as pleasant as possible (so witnesses report) when Edna made the most fatal of errors and asked Neil "Is that drumming you do hard? It looks hard." Reportedly, Neil's face went ashen, and he then spun around and stalked off angrily grumbling. Edna was crestfallen, asking over and over to anyone near, "What did I do? What did I do?!" Weekly World News, October 1996, page 11. Look it up. ;)

Really that's it? I would've been like "what kind of stupid question is that you dumb bitch?" I admire Neil's restraint.

Edited by savagegrace26
  • Like 1

Really that's it? I would've been like "what kind of stupid question is that you dumb bitch?" I admire Neil's restraint.

Most theorize that this was exactly what he was grumbling, in fact.

Last time I started a thread that had more than 5 pages it was actually, you know...interesting and fun.

Hmmm...

That's not quite true.

The only other thread you started here (which had no more than one page, BTW) was about man-horse sex. YOU might think that's "interesting and fun," but the majority of us would probably think that man-horse sex is neither interesting nor fun. YMMV.

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/83790-guaranteed-to-make-you-say-what/#entry2948244

• Like 1

Last time I started a thread that had more than 5 pages it was actually, you know...interesting and fun.

Hmmm...

That's not quite true.

The only other thread you started here (which had no more than one page, BTW) was about man-horse sex. YOU might think that's "interesting and fun," but the majority of us would probably think that man-horse sex is neither interesting nor fun. YMMV.

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/83790-guaranteed-to-make-you-say-what/#entry2948244

What about the six years he was here before they tracked these things?

Hmmm...

That's not quite true.

man-horse sex. YOU might think that's "interesting and fun," but the majority of us would probably think that man-horse sex is neither interesting nor fun.

http://www.therushfo...t/#entry2948244

Hey, don't knock stuff without trying it first.

Hmmm...

That's not quite true.

Who gives a phr*ck?

Hmmm...

That's not quite true.

Who gives a phr*ck?

Well, apparently, you...

"...once again, on the road for yet another mid-America hateride. " ... funniest things I've read on the forum (not the first time but it doesn't get old). I love how he will go on about how friendly everyone was that he met in the diners and gas stations of his Hate Rider travels, and then turns around and writes blogs and songs about how backward, ignorant and prejudiced they are, at the same time (how dare someone promote a viewpoint on a billboard; they should stick to songs and blogs like a respectable pseudo-intellectual). "From the Middle East to the Middle West." Yeah, those Catholics killing Lutherans in Omaha, and Baptists beheading Episcopalians in Louisville. How did Neil the free-thinker even survive the journey without being burned or imprisoned by those unenlightened cultural Neanderthals?

I've tried over the last several months to like PoW through T4E. I've concluded that a lot of the music is really good, sometimes up there with the early great stuff. What consistently sucks are the lyrics. So tough to get through. When Neil was writing about carnivals, hobbits and spaceships and other goofy stuff, he was pretty good. I even enjoyed his Ayn Rand songs despite recognizing that the unbridled enthusiasm was naive (as does about everybody, incl Neil). Even his early introspection and relationship stuff was decent (eg, Circumstances, Entre Nous, Different Strings, etc.), and with songs like Red Barchetta and Limelight, he achieved immortal greatness. Then something happened. I don't know if he really wanted to be taken seriously, or wanted to be witty, or disown the past, but man I can't stand his lyrics of the last 20 years. Re his blog writing, I imagine this thread is more entertaining so I'll just stick with this.

In his blogs he is generally positive about people, but will bring up bad experiences. This is human nature. Your criticism of his criticism of the issues with religion make his lyrics look like a dissertation.

And I love the hobbit, space, and fantasy lyrics/themes, but his lyrics in the synth era are pretty obviously more mature, accessible and thought-provoking, IMHO.

• Like 1

"...are pretty obviously more mature, accessible and thought-provoking, IMHO." Fair enough, though for thought-provoking I wouldn't be looking toward Rush (or any other band I can think of, really).

BTW, it's not important but I thought I'd mention that my issue with Peart's anti-religion writing isn't the anti bit; my favorite lyric writer is probably Andy Partridge (XTC), and his anti-"Sky Daddy" religion rants (not rationalist anti-religion/anti-superstition a la Neil; he is pro-immanent Nature/feminine goddess Earth Mother/etc neo-pagan; he just blasts the monotheistic variety) make Peart's commentaries look tame. It's the clumsiness of it all, like Neil just read the latest Dawkins book and feels compelled to write songs about it. So tedious. Though I'm not an atheist (or an agnostic), I enjoy a clever atheist (the mentally nimble, non-dogmatic variety at least). Three of my favorite writers are atheists, or at least skeptics/critics -- Twain/Clemens (critic/functional atheist), Vonnegut Jr. (atheist and critic), and Eric Hoffer (atheist). The skepticism/criticism is not my issue, it's that Peart insists on muddling up my favorite band's music with clumsy, journal entry lyrics. That's what I hate. The proverbial "Hobbits and spaceships" style was harmless and fun and complemented the music well. But if someone likes his commentary style, then good for them. They have every right to like it and say as much. Likewise, if you don't like it, you have the right to say that as well. All this is about sharing viewpoints, right? If they're stupid, so be it. Interweb info is all just ones and zeroes.

One last thing about Neil's non-lyric writing. I'll probably read Ghost Rider at some point because I've enjoyed the (limited) excerpts I've read. He's undoubtedly a thoughtful guy and a very good observer (if anyone is familiar with the Enneagram, he's a drop dead "5", obviously). He's also sufficiently clever to consider with some seriousness (though intelligent? of course, but compared to what, and what is the significance? I work with PhD scientists; definitely intelligent but I wouldn't want to be them, and I'd go to the guy who empties my trash can for life advice before I'd go to most of them). I guess my main issue with Neil is that he disappoints me as I want to like him and enjoy his "art." But he's too smug about things he doesn't seem to know a lot about (I've read some of his reading club entries so I've an idea of where his strengths are, and from where his personal biases seem to spring.) No matter to him, obviously, but I still have the right to be disappointed.

His blog is certainly more interesting and better though out than 99.9999% of the posts on this forum.

That makes sense coming from the person on this forum who likes more of Rush's suckiest songs than ANYONE ELSE on this site...

I could NOT get through this last Peart blog. Just couldn't do it; I tried, I really did. It was like watching paint oxidize and flake off...not watching paint DRY, as that wouldn't take nearly as long. Reading this was actually like watching freshly painted and cured paint oxidize and rot as it does say on an outside wooden porch...something that takes YEARS to happen...and THAT is how it felt trying to read Neil's latest yawnfest. It was like being administered Ambien through my internet connection. Just NOTHING there.

It was almost as bad as when I tried to listen to "Cold Fire," "The Speed of Love," "Available Light," and "Everyday Glory" in one sitting. My God did I want to slam my face with a bison poop encrusted boulder trying to stomach THOSE pieces of $h*t.

Ten bucks this guy's really Alex incognito.

Edited by Del_Duio

World of Warcraft wasn't invented until 2004 (?)

^ Ah, you caught me! I bet the October 1996 issue of Weekly World news doesn't have anything about Rush either. Good chance you will find an article about Bat Boy though.

"...are pretty obviously more mature, accessible and thought-provoking, IMHO." Fair enough, though for thought-provoking I wouldn't be looking toward Rush (or any other band I can think of, really).

BTW, it's not important but I thought I'd mention that my issue with Peart's anti-religion writing isn't the anti bit; my favorite lyric writer is probably Andy Partridge (XTC), and his anti-"Sky Daddy" religion rants (not rationalist anti-religion/anti-superstition a la Neil; he is pro-immanent Nature/feminine goddess Earth Mother/etc neo-pagan; he just blasts the monotheistic variety) make Peart's commentaries look tame. It's the clumsiness of it all, like Neil just read the latest Dawkins book and feels compelled to write songs about it. So tedious. Though I'm not an atheist (or an agnostic), I enjoy a clever atheist (the mentally nimble, non-dogmatic variety at least). Three of my favorite writers are atheists, or at least skeptics/critics -- Twain/Clemens (critic/functional atheist), Vonnegut Jr. (atheist and critic), and Eric Hoffer (atheist). The skepticism/criticism is not my issue, it's that Peart insists on muddling up my favorite band's music with clumsy, journal entry lyrics. That's what I hate. The proverbial "Hobbits and spaceships" style was harmless and fun and complemented the music well. But if someone likes his commentary style, then good for them. They have every right to like it and say as much. Likewise, if you don't like it, you have the right to say that as well. All this is about sharing viewpoints, right? If they're stupid, so be it. Interweb info is all just ones and zeroes.

One last thing about Neil's non-lyric writing. I'll probably read Ghost Rider at some point because I've enjoyed the (limited) excerpts I've read. He's undoubtedly a thoughtful guy and a very good observer (if anyone is familiar with the Enneagram, he's a drop dead "5", obviously). He's also sufficiently clever to consider with some seriousness (though intelligent? of course, but compared to what, and what is the significance? I work with PhD scientists; definitely intelligent but I wouldn't want to be them, and I'd go to the guy who empties my trash can for life advice before I'd go to most of them). I guess my main issue with Neil is that he disappoints me as I want to like him and enjoy his "art." But he's too smug about things he doesn't seem to know a lot about (I've read some of his reading club entries so I've an idea of where his strengths are, and from where his personal biases seem to spring.) No matter to him, obviously, but I still have the right to be disappointed.

((Holy parenthetical (paren(th)esis), Popeye))
  • Like 1

You're the guy who thinks the US "militarized police" is out to get everyone, right? Do you have a conspiracy blog or something; I'd be very interested in following it.