Xanadu vs. Natural Science

Lorraine

75 members have voted

1. 1. Which song do you think is better?

http://i.imgur.com/cU8okOD.jpg

Now - that's a picture!

That is a great picture for sure..... :)

Xanadu:

1. Xanadu

2. Hemispheres

3. Losing It

4. Natural Science

5. Available Light

Natural Science is great too...

You really think that highly of Available Light aye? I heard it again yesterday and I will say it is very different from most of their music. I can't even explain why from a musical perspective but it is just different.....

I'm not sure why all the love for Available Light. The chorus makes me cringe.

• Like 1

Speaking of the CA Tour dvd, did anyone here notice Geddy winking at someone right up front at the end of Territories? :)

I noticed it the first time I watched it. I figured he was doing it for the camera. Haven't been able to watch the DVD more than twice, gives me a headache.

• Like 1

Xanadu:

1. Xanadu

2. Hemispheres

3. Losing It

4. Natural Science

5. Available Light

You really think that highly of Available Light aye? I heard it again yesterday and I will say it is very different from most of their music. I can't even explain why from a musical perspective but it is just different.....

It doesn't make me cringe so much but I do scratch my head and wonder where that came from. Its just weird and I don't recall hearing anything structurally like that in any other songs of theirs..... :huh:
  • Like 1

Xanadu:

1. Xanadu

2. Hemispheres

3. Losing It

4. Natural Science

5. Available Light

It doesn't make me cringe so much but I do scratch my head and wonder where that came from. Its just weird and I don't recall hearing anything structurally like that in any other songs of theirs..... :huh:

It just sounds awkward.

• Like 1

Xanadu:

1. Xanadu

2. Hemispheres

3. Losing It

4. Natural Science

5. Available Light

It just sounds awkward.

Agreed. But I think the song lends itself to an either you love or hate it situation due to that awkwardness....
  • Like 1

Speaking of the CA Tour dvd, did anyone here notice Geddy winking at someone right up front at the end of Territories? :)

I noticed it the first time I watched it. I figured he was doing it for the camera. Haven't been able to watch the DVD more than twice, gives me a headache.

The shot was from the side. It looked to me like he was leaning into someone he probably knew as I don't recall ever seeing Geddy wink at anyone. Winking is an art. Some do it and look spastic. Others do it and ... well, they look like Geddy. :wub:

• Like 1

Damn, Natural Science is winning all of the sudden!!..... :madra:

It only has nine votes.

Xanadu has nineteen. :wub:

:wub:

Damn, Natural Science is winning all of the sudden!!..... :madra:

It only has nine votes.

Xanadu has nineteen. :wub:

I voted Xanadu if that's any help. :)

• Like 2

Haven't given it a full viewing since release day. Waste of a great tour.

Mick

• Like 1

Natural Science. The live version on Rio is just to killer for me to ignore. Behind In The End live it may be my favorite Rush recording all-time...... :)

I liked it, but why did they skip the one verse in Permanent Waves? (Art as expression Not as market campaigns Will still capture our imaginations) Edited by sabresman31

Natural Science. The live version on Rio is just to killer for me to ignore. Behind In The End live it may be my favorite Rush recording all-time...... :)

I liked it, but why did they skip the one verse in Permanent Waves? (Art as expression Not as market campaigns Will still capture our imaginations)

Don't know the answer to that one......

I liked it, but why did they skip the one verse in Permanent Waves? (Art as exp<b></b>ression Not as market campaigns Will still capture our imaginations)

Probably to shorten it. Permanent Waves gets a little repetitive; I don't blame them.

I liked it, but why did they skip the one verse in Permanent Waves? (Art as expression Not as market campaigns Will still capture our imaginations)

Probably to shorten it. Permanent Waves gets a little repetitive; I don't blame them.

They couldn't deal with the unintended irony those lyrics have for them now

and

maybe Alex couldn't handle doing the second solo

Edited by savagegrace26

Mick

I agree 100%. I was so looking forward to this DVD since I saw several shows during this tour. What a disappointment.

• Like 1

Mick

I agree 100%. I was so looking forward to this DVD since I saw several shows during this tour. What a disappointment.

I know that you have said watching it gives you a headache from all the camera movement, but can you tell me what else is disappointing? Is it that it didn't fully capture the show?

Mick

I know that you have said watching it gives you a headache from all the camera movement, but can you tell me what else is disappointing? Is it that it didn't fully capture the show?

For me its the sea sickness watching it and Geddy struggling with the vocals even on the CA stuff....... :(
  • Like 1

His vocals have been a little too high in the mix on the last few live releases. They need to subdue his vocals more like how it was on Different Stages. The songs sound so much better that way with or without any of his vocal issues.

I liked it, but why did they skip the one verse in Permanent Waves? (Art as exp<b></b>ression Not as market campaigns Will still capture our imaginations)

They hate that line

They hate that line

Why is that? That's one of my favorites...
  • Like 1

My absolute two favorite Rush songs. Nat Sci by a hair, depending on the day.

The Rush in Rio live version is THE best thing Rush has ever recorded, IMO. If there is a God, and he returns triumphiant, it would be the only thing that could top that recording, and my favorite part of the song is Geddy and Alex side by side during section III (permanet waves) stride around the stage like the musical colossus they are, as if looking down from Mount Olympus.

• Like 2