Xanadu vs. Natural Science

Lorraine

75 members have voted

1. 1. Which song do you think is better?

Xanadu...not even close. It has an otherworldly presence that transports you to another time and place. Natural Science is ok, but a bit too preachy and in your face...and the vocals aren't as good, and the slow part stinks.

Preachy was a word that never came to mind.....huh. S&A And CA win that award for me. and that slow part rocks.

Mick

For me it's Heresy, Second Nature (kinda), and much of S&A. And BU2B, but nothing else from CA...

Xanadu...not even close. It has an otherworldly presence that transports you to another time and place. Natural Science is ok, but a bit too preachy and in your face...and the vocals aren't as good, and the slow part stinks.

Preachy was a word that never came to mind.....huh. S&A And CA win that award for me. and that slow part rocks.

Mick

For me it's Heresy, Second Nature (kinda), and much of S&A. And BU2B, but nothing else from CA...

Heresy??? Are you a communist or something? Haha

Lorraine can fill us in on Snakes & Arrows pluses and minuses if she wishes too. She is expert on that one..... :)
  • Like 1

Likes for this?..... :rage:

Well, I was just really liking this bit
  • Like 4

I know....... :cheers: The same way Close To The Edge and Awaken does for me.... :) Edited by Narpski
  • Like 1

I know....... :cheers: The same way Close To The Edge and Awaken does for me.... :)

:yes: Yup, me too :cheers:
  • Like 1

Mick

I'm an agnostic and I thought S&A was preachy; it has nothing to do with how I personally feel about the message, but more about how it was conveyed.
  • Like 1

Mick

I know Neil is anti-religion but the Garden still feels like sunday service to me, lol

Mick

I'm an agnostic and I thought S&A was preachy; it has nothing to do with how I personally feel about the message, but more about how it was conveyed.

I guess Heresy just sounds like Neil is angry that so many people had their lives ruined by an oppressive government. I don't really feel like he's preaching anything
  • Like 1

Lorraine can fill us in on Snakes & Arrows pluses and minuses if she wishes too. She is expert on that one..... :)

:yes: :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

I'll do it for you.....

11 minuses

2 pluses

Xanadu. Like Natural Science but wasn't a hard choice for me. Xanadu vs La Villa would have been real trouble though, like the old Star Trek where they confused the good-looking female robots and caused their brains to short out.
  • Like 3

Xanadu. Like Natural Science but wasn't a hard choice for me. Xanadu vs La Villa would have been real trouble though, like the old Star Trek where they confused the good-looking female robots and caused their brains to short out.

Classic scene.... :cheers:

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTI5NTg2MDQ4Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMjMwODM5._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg

Edited by Narpski
  • Like 1

:yes: :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

I'll do it for you.....

11 minuses

2 pluses

I had every intention of subjecting myself listening to it today but got distracted by Permanent Waves. Then Rush In Rio. Now I'm on Clockwork Angels Tour.

:sigh:

Despite being over 30 years old, NS sounds very modern in a way and could be released today. It was very ahead of it's time. The entire PWaves album sounds like songs from the future recorded in the past.

Xanadu has a dated vibe to it, which does add to and support it's theme and charm. Regardless, it's a relic from it's time (as it should be since it should feel like something from the past given it's "story") while NS was forward feeling from the get go.

Xanadu feels "old" while NS feels "new" which perfectly supports each of the songs character.

Edited by savagegrace26

Despite being over 30 years old, NS sounds very modern in a way and could be released today. It was very ahead of it's time. The entire PWaves album sounds like songs from the future recorded in the past.

Xanadu has a dated vibe to it, which does add to and support it's theme and charm. Regardless, it's a relic from time (as it should be since it should feel like something from the past given it's "story") while NS was forward feeling from the get go.

Xanadu feels "old" while NS feels "new" which perfectly supports each of the songs character.

I completely agree that PeW sounds like future music, same with Signals I think. But I don't think Xanadu sounds old, it's very timeless
  • Like 4

Xanadu has a dated vibe to it, which does add to and support it's theme and charm. Regardless, it's a relic from time (as it should be since it should feel like something from the past given it's "story") while NS was forward feeling from the get go.

I completely agree that PeW sounds like future music, same with Signals I think. But I don't think Xanadu sounds old, it's very timeless

A Farewell to Kings in general has an old medieval feel to it. Especially the title track and Madrigal but that's not a criticism. Xanadu has a looking back old world feel to it which is very interesting given the context. It seems intentional and supports whatever they were trying to achieve with it. When I listen to AFTK I'm transported to a different time. Even Cygnus X-1 has some sort of old-style feel to it despite being a space song. This is not a criticism. Maybe I didn't explain it right initially. But it's like they traveled back in time to record the album to give it a semblance of history and an odd out of time feel to it.

Edited by savagegrace26
  • Like 2