Speed Of Love: Why No Love (

Segue Myles

I think we have set it higher than they have.

That is valid but let's face it, the wrote some of the greatest songs in music history (in my opinion). Anything less than great becomes average. You know?

Yes i know, and it isn't fair to them. We only let ourselves down.

Well, I don't expect it all to be on the level of their best but wow, between Hemispheres and Signals it just seemed like it all was. Talk about a hayday!

I know. I was just thinking the same thing as I am listening to The Weapon.

If they could do it again, they would. And they very well might. I have faith in them. Talent they have a-plenty.

If Rush is to produce another album on the level of anything from AFTK to HYF, Geddy needs to learn how to write good vocal melodies as well as melodic basslines again. And they need to start bringing some more synth back into the mix

That is valid but let's face it, the wrote some of the greatest songs in music history (in my opinion). Anything less than great becomes average. You know?

Well, I don't expect it all to be on the level of their best but wow, between Hemispheres and Signals it just seemed like it all was. Talk about a hayday!

If they could do it again, they would. And they very well might. I have faith in them. Talent they have a-plenty.

If Rush is to produce another album on the level of anything from AFTK to HYF, Geddy needs to learn how to write good vocal melodies as well as melodic basslines again. And they need to start bringing some more synth back into the mix

The synth part I understand, but i don't understand this: "...Geddy needs to learn how to write good vocal melodies as well as melodic basslines again." I'm not a musician, so I wouldn't know a good vocal melody and a melodic bassline from a bad one.

The synth part I understand, but i don't understand this: "...Geddy needs to learn how to write good vocal melodies as well as melodic basslines again." I'm not a musician, so I wouldn't know a good vocal melody and a melodic bassline from a bad one.

Well, it's all subjective. I'm sure you'll find people who think that Geddy's melodies on CA are some of his best, and some for whom it is absolutely torturous to listen to. It all has to do with what is pleasing to your ear. That said, I would like them to place more emphasis on melody in the future.

Well, it's all subjective. I'm sure you'll find people who think that Geddy's melodies on CA are some of his best, and some for whom it is absolutely torturous to listen to. It all has to do with what is pleasing to your ear. That said, I would like them to place more emphasis on melody in the future.

Can you give me a song as an example of what you mean by melody, and give me one which, in your opinion, doesn't have much, so i know what you are talking about?

Its not that his basslines are bad, they're still good and they rock hard. But what has always separated Geddy from the rest of the bassists in the world is how he uses his bass to play real melodies rather than just locking down the bottom end. Fo example, in FOL during In the Valley during the part that goes "yet my eyes are drawn...." The bass line Geddy's playing is so beautiful and goes beyond the role of most bass lines. I'll give him credit though, his bass work on The Garden is really a return to form. As far as his vocals go, he's been dropping the ball on the last couple albums. His vocals on songs like Carnies and Headlong Flight really hold those songs back for me, they could be something great

Its not that his basslines are bad, they're still good and they rock hard. But what has always separated Geddy from the rest of the bassists in the world is how he uses his bass to play real melodies rather than just locking down the bottom end. Fo example, in FOL during In the Valley during the part that goes "yet my eyes are drawn...." The bass line Geddy's playing is so beautiful and goes beyond the role of most bass lines. I'll give him credit though, his bass work on The Garden is really a return to form. As far as his vocals go, he's been dropping the ball on the last couple albums. His vocals on songs like Carnies and Headlong Flight really hold those songs back for me, they could be something great

You nailed it! What always drew me to Geddy as a bass player was the melodic approach he took. Even on an aggresive song like Hemispheres, the beauty of those basslines can't be denied. Also what drew me to the whole band was the catchy beautiful melodies laying overtop what on the surface appears to be chaos but is in actuality incredible playing.

My gripe with a lot of "prog" bands is that the vocal melody lines are admittedly difficult over top some of the more involved playing but instead of finding something pretty, they go for the next closest note that "fits" with the chord. Lazy. Rush always found a way to "find the pretty" over it all.

Lately, to me, they've gone with everyone else's approach. Tight little 4-5 note melodies that "fit". They have it, they can do it, they should do it. Geddy is too melodic to start playing like Chris Squire. :outtahere:

• Like 2

Can you give me a song as an example of what you mean by melody, and give me one which, in your opinion, doesn't have much, so i know what you are talking about?

Melody: "Lakeside Park," "Something For Nothing," "A Farewell to Kings"

Talking: "Bravado," "Hand Over Fist," "The Color of Wrong," "Alien Shore"

Edited by Spaghetti Lee

You nailed it! What always drew me to Geddy as a bass player was the melodic approach he took. Even on an aggresive song like Hemispheres, the beauty of those basslines can't be denied. Also what drew me to the whole band was the catchy beautiful melodies laying overtop what on the surface appears to be chaos but is in actuality incredible playing.

My gripe with a lot of "prog" bands is that the vocal melody lines are admittedly difficult over top some of the more involved playing but instead of finding something pretty, they go for the next closest note that "fits" with the chord. Lazy. Rush always found a way to "find the pretty" over it all.

Lately, to me, they've gone with everyone else's approach. Tight little 4-5 note melodies that "fit". They have it, they can do it, they should do it. Geddy is too melodic to start playing like Chris Squire. :outtahere:

Have you ever considered the fact that they may be tired? Forty plus years is a very long time.

Melody: "Lakeside Park"

Talking: "Bravado"

Eh, disagree. Bravoda has a nice melody over it. Now Test For Echo? Good grief. That sounds like the first melody that popped into his head.

Have you ever considered the fact that they may be tired? Forty plus years is a very long time.

Nope. Why have I never thought that? Geddy's bass playing has gotten so good. I've never even considered the possibility of watching a bass player at 60 years old an thinking, "Wow, he's better than he was at 50!". He has just gotten ridiculous on that thing. Is his voice tired? No doubt. He kicked its ass for so long and I'll never be able to thank him enough but when melodies are written any range is acceptable for pretty. His most gorgeous melodies would still be so an octave lower. It doesn't have to be high to be pretty. Ask Barry White.

"Bravado" sounds like a 3 day long insurance seminar where a Mongolian securities expert is falling asleep while stating his company's fiscal policy regarding land future growth speculation in the farmlands of Trinidad as compared to the 1996 growth of cattle collateral equities based partly on reports out of Gerlach, Nevada's futile sand dividends.

"Bravado" sounds like a 3 day long insurance seminar where a Mongolian securities expert is falling asleep while stating his company's fiscal policy regarding land future growth speculation in the farmlands of Trinidad as compared to the 1996 growth of cattle collateral equities based partly on reports out of Gerlach, Nevada's futile sand dividends.

I love it. It's no Xanadu but it is full of emotion.

I love it. It's no Xanadu but it is full of emotion.

If by "emotion" you mean stunningly mind-numbing boredom, I agree with you.

Hey..... :moon: :)
  • Like 1

:laughing guy:

• Like 1

Hahaha. I was waiting for you! Where's TM? :LMAO:

• Like 1

I disagree.

It's far worse than that.

• Like 4

I disagree.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff230/batboystiiiwater/BRAVADO_zps57a2e3a3.jpg

• Like 4

I disagree.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff230/batboystiiiwater/BRAVADO_zps57a2e3a3.jpg

Neil's hatred for all things Christian just rose to new heights! :laughing guy:

• Like 2

Re: Spaghetti: The worst of it has been completely revolting, and some of it has been downright cruel (I refer to remarks he made about a Rush tribute band's videos). If there is something in a post that is worth responding to, I will, but I don't think I've really ever found him that funny.

Having said that, I'll admit that I'm sure many of my attempts at humour have fallen flat, too.

Ouch! :LOL:

But seriously, Speed of Love is a nice song. I quite like it for what it is. I mean, it's pretty sensitive. It's not as sensitive as, say, Wang Dang Sweet Poontang from Cat Scratch Fever, but then not everyone can be as sweet as Uncle Ted.

Quite possibly the best love song ever written!

Curly, shall we put you on the list?

I was talking about Wang Dang Sweet Poontang

You let me down

lol

Sorry (not)