Segue Myles

I love Presto, it's a fantastic album. It does have a few songs that don't do much for me (Scars, anagram, Red Tide) but even those are awesome. It also has some really great examples of just how amazing Rush are at writing songs (Show Don't Tell, Available Light, War Paint, The Pass, Chain Lightning, Title track, Hand Over Fist)
  • Like 2

When some of you say "big wall of sound", what do you mean by that?

There's no space between the instruments, since they've started producing albums in this fashion (starting with VT) it's hard to pick out certain things like kick drum hits or distinguishing between guitar and bass. Hence the term, "wall of sound" it just sounds like you're being bombarded with sounds
  • Like 4

On Vapor Trails / Clockwork Angels? Basically, and specifically with the original VT, there's a lot of clipping and flat out noise which keeps the listener from enjoying and recognizing the individual instruments. Listen to "Freewill" and then right after "Ceiling Unlimited" and you'll hear a difference in production quality.

• Like 1

There's no space between the instruments, since they've started producing albums in this fashion (starting with VT) it's hard to pick out certain things like kick drum hits or distinguishing between guitar and bass. Hence the term, "wall of sound" it just sounds like you're being bombarded with sounds

Since I'll be doing penance today by listening to Snakes & Arrows again, i will listen to it with this in mind.

Thanks! :)

• Like 1

On Vapor Trails / Clockwork Angels? Basically, and specifically with the original VT, there's a lot of clipping and flat out noise which keeps the listener from enjoying and recognizing the individual instruments. Listen to "Freewill" and then right after "Ceiling Unlimited" and you'll hear a difference in production quality.

I'll do that right now. Thanks for giving me two examples Is!

I hear what you mean. There is not as much clarity. I prefer the sound on "Freewill".

• Like 5

This is an ok album for me with some bright spots. It was great that they were moving away from the synth sound, and it is an improvement over HYF and PoW, to be sure, but it doesn't bring consistently great songs, and it delivers them with too little power.

Since I'll be doing penance today by listening to Snakes & Arrows again, i will listen to it with this in mind.

Bear in mind that, of the three recent albums, SA has the best production.

• Like 1

Bear in mind that, of the three recent albums, SA has the best production.

OK

I prefer the sound of presto to the big wall or sound from CA

We both must have a hearing problem then. The production and sound beat the shite out of VT or CA. Or is our hearing to keen?.....

I just like the fact that its so much easier to pick out the individual instruments, can actually hear what notes they play. I get the fact that its "thin", but its preferable to tons of overlapping parts. I also think Geddys voice is rock solid on presto

Agreed. Something went wrong at the turn of the century.....

The problem is not unique to Rush sadly...Metallica...Springsteen...every modern radio rock bamd you care to mention...even pop is overproduced, loud and ugly...

Hence the resurgence of interest in classic rock with the younger crowd...

The clean sound beats all in my view. Call it thin or whatever you want but it is more pleasant to the ears in my opinion....

Agreed. I never realised how cluttered CA sounded until I started to explore there earlier work fully...after CA, I went from casual fan to uber fan, but overall I find it easier to listen to AFTK or PoW, two examples of well produced albums at opposite ends of the Rush spectrum. Worst production on a Rush album, aside from VT, is RTB. So squeaky clean, it must have been embarrassing for them when grunged started to emerge with its grime and rawness.

Which is why Counterparts was produced loud and raw, while still sounding pleasing to the ear. Since then, only one of those has been true.

CP and T4E have such wonderful sonic clarity...its pathetic how it all got so silly in the new century...

T4E is a great sounding album. :yes:

And the drumming is cool.

I hear what you mean. There is not as much clarity. I prefer the sound on "Freewill".

Ideally you should be able to hear each of the instruments easily. When it starts blending together and sounding like noise then it usually means it's over compressed/poorly mixed and/or too many layers upon layers of instruments.

• Like 1

We both must have a hearing problem then. The production and sound beat the shite out of VT or CA. Or is our hearing to keen?.....

I just like the fact that its so much easier to pick out the individual instruments, can actually hear what notes they play. I get the fact that its "thin", but its preferable to tons of overlapping parts. I also think Geddys voice is rock solid on presto

The problem is not unique to Rush sadly...Metallica...Springsteen...every modern radio rock bamd you care to mention...even pop is overproduced, loud and ugly...

The clean sound beats all in my view. Call it thin or whatever you want but it is more pleasant to the ears in my opinion....

Agreed. I never realised how cluttered CA sounded until I started to explore there earlier work fully...after CA, I went from casual fan to uber fan, but overall I find it easier to listen to AFTK or PoW, two examples of well produced albums at opposite ends of the Rush spectrum. Worst production on a Rush album, aside from VT, is RTB. So squeaky clean, it must have been embarrassing for them when grunged started to emerge with its grime and rawness.

Which is why Counterparts was produced loud and raw, while still sounding pleasing to the ear. Since then, only one of those has been true.

CP and T4E have such wonderful sonic clarity...its pathetic how it all got so silly in the new century...

I wish VT and CA had the same production as T4E. Presto could have benefited from a CP style production, and all SA needed was a little less of the Geddy choirs.

• Like 1

I wish VT and CA had the same production as T4E. Presto could have benefited from a CP style production, and all SA needed was a little less of the Geddy choirs.

1000 times yes. T4E was the last really good sounding album production-wise.

• Like 2

1000 times yes. T4E was the last really good sounding album production-wise.

Which is a shame...I love the album for the barmy mess that it is...buy those lyrics...CA deserved this clarity of sound better. Shame.

But I won't criticise CA, as I love it.

• Like 1

Agree 110% - I had the very same thought as I was listening.

The great thing about Rush is every album seems to have a large following. Even the less favoured titles have a sturdy fanbase...
  • Like 1

The great thing about Rush is every album seems to have a large following. Even the less favoured titles have a sturdy fanbase...

But I do hope they consider using one of their old record producers for their next album. Not mentioning any names of course.

But I do hope they consider using one of their old record producers for their next album. Not mentioning any names of course.

RUPERT HINE!!

jk jk

You could do a better job than him.

Probably. Presto I can forgive, but Roll The Bones is ridiculous. I think the second ugliest sounding album after VT. Way to shiny and poppy! I used to love it but it wore off me quite quickly.

• Like 1

I think they'll probably go with Bam Bam again.