So I Have Worked Something Out...

Segue Myles

Awesome post! I agree with you! I also have OCD. But it seems that it's not like yours.

Mine is very much mental, I live constantly paranoid on how I am viewed, very aware of all my failings, and obsess constantly as to how to get through my life in a way that is, how to put it, normal?

OCD is bizarre...I know a handful of sufferers and no two appear alike (arg my obsessions are ridiculous...who gets scared over the thought their teeth are shrinking?).

I"m gonna tell you a little secret just between you and me. I can't imagine anyone worse than me when it comes to obsessing on how I am viewed. I feel your pain believe me. I admire folks who don't seem to give two sh*ts about what people think of them. I only wish I could at least not care a little but we all have crosses to bear. I to am having depression issues and always have had OCD issues. Being a perfectionist can be problematic at times. I have never taken medication for any of it until recently. My health problems have bummed me out somewhat and not working somehow makes me feel "less important" in the grand scheme of things. You are not alone my brother so just know that. You are obviously a good dude and it comes across on this forum. Keep do'in what your do'in. I enjoy you very much around here. One more thing. You have got to get ATWAS and wear that thing out!! :cheers: bro and rock on
  • Like 3

Well good for you for coming to this revelation. I know its hard to switch favorite bands for some people. I myself am just about to tip over to making Animal Collective my favorite band, I guess I am just waiting on hearing the snippets of material I have yet to hear from them before deciding, but I can't find a single song from them I really dislike, so I suppose its inevitable. Good job on the well written words.

Welcome Segue (as this is our first interaction), just enjoy the moment and try not to concern yourself with anything else. If RUSH is in your moment right now, enjoy! Introspection is a very good thing, too much self judgment, not so much. Just grow organically as God intends for us all. The past is gone, the future is not promised, the moment is all we have. RUSH ON!!
  • Like 1

Segue, thank you for sharing. And for feeling that it was safe and OK to share with us.

It is.

I think you've seen by the reaction here that we all have something in common, and because we do, we also care - a little bit - about each other.

And every little bit helps.

We all feel sad and worried sometimes. Not like you do, obviously, but we ALL FEEL IT, at least once in a while.

And music helps us ALL get through.

So, if you think about it, you're really not that different.

You're just one of us.

• Like 1

Awesome post! I agree with you! I also have OCD. But it seems that it's not like yours.

Mine is very much mental, I live constantly paranoid on how I am viewed, very aware of all my failings, and obsess constantly as to how to get through my life in a way that is, how to put it, normal?

OCD is bizarre...I know a handful of sufferers and no two appear alike (arg my obsessions are ridiculous...who gets scared over the thought their teeth are shrinking?).

That first part sounds like any young person I know.

I gave you the clean version.

Thanks guys! I have really been stunned. It means a lot to me that a bunch of people actually read that and cared...

...and Narpski thank you for sharing especially. Never expected that you to would have similar problems!

• Like 4

Glad to see you've come around, Segue ;) Now you need to rearrange your favourite bands list!

Also, I think a lot of us Rush fans are "broken" in one way or another. It's fun to see how so many different kinds of people, and from some different countries, are able to come together and bond over something like music. It's so primal, yet so modern at the same time.

• Like 1

Thanks guys! I have really been stunned. It means a lot to me that a bunch of people actually read that and cared...

...and Narpski thank you for sharing especially. Never expected that you to would have similar problems!

Yeah, and don't forget, Segue, that what he told you is strictly between the two of you. Don't go blabbing it around to anyone else. :laughing guy:

• Like 2

Yeah, and don't forget, Segue, that what he told you is strictly between the two of you. Don't go blabbing it around to anyone else. :laughing guy:

:D
  • Like 1

I better take down my Twitbook and Facespace pages...

• Like 2

Since this is a gushing over Rush kind of thread (with a secret or two being shared among friends), I want to confide that i can't get their music out of my head. Night and day. Day and night. Constant. Sometimes my brain just plays Rush medleys - you know, thirty seconds of one song followed by fifteen seconds of another etc. etc. But the worst is when I wake up at night (and I do that more often than not). There is always a Rush tune playing in my head. :wacko: Starting to get scary. :scared:
  • Like 6

Since this is a gushing over Rush kind of thread (with a secret or two being shared among friends), I want to confide that i can't get their music out of my head. Night and day. Day and night. Constant. Sometimes my brain just plays Rush medleys - you know, thirty seconds of one song followed by fifteen seconds of another etc. etc. But the worst is when I wake up at night (and I do that more often than not). There is always a Rush tune playing in my head. :wacko: Starting to get scary. :scared:

Rather Rush than Karma Chameleon. That is all I had foing through my head today...

Edited by Segue Myles

When Xanadu plays in your head is it as part of a medley or full length?..... :wub:

Why do Rush songs give me chills? It's the strangest thing. I asked this elsewhere, but maybe it would be more appropriate to ask it here.

Don't some Moody Blues tunes give you chills? Does Close To The Edge give you chills?.... :huh: :)
  • Like 1

Why do Rush songs give me chills? It's the strangest thing. I asked this elsewhere, but maybe it would be more appropriate to ask it here.

Don't some Moody Blues tunes give you chills? Does Close To The Edge give you chills?.... :huh: :)

Yes, but that was a song here and a song there. With Rush, it is more than a few songs. There's something unusual about them, and I haven't been able to put my finger on it yet. I have also found that since I have been listening to them so much every day, I can't listen to any other band anymore.

Yes, but that was a song here and a song there. With Rush, it is more than a few songs. There's something unusual about them, and I haven't been able to put my finger on it yet. I have also found that since I have been listening to them so much every day, I can't listen to any other band anymore.

They give me chills probably for a different reason. They are memories for me of my youth and innocence. I rarely listen to music at all anymore so when I do its even more special. I heard The Spirit Of Radio in the car this morning. Had my orange Rush shirt on too and was on top of the world for an instant.... Edited by Narpski
  • Like 1

Two bands give me a similar, overly happy and positive vibe that I find sends me to deep reverie or the like (hard to put into words), Rush and Jimmy Eat World. They couldn't be anymore different...

.. obviously Rush are leagues ahead, but still...I do find I have to play Rush like all the time.

And everytime I think I have worn an album out, I come back to it sometimes months later and not only is it fresh, its even more profoundly affecting my senses than it was the last time I was hooked on it.

For example, replaying 2112. The second side just gets better and better to the point that as an album, it is part of a streak of perfect albums!

And you know what else delights me? TODAY I GOT HOOKED ON THE DEBUT! The songs are beautiful!

Rush are without a doubt my favourite band (with STRONG competition from Lacuna Coil (sorry but I cannot turn my back on ten years of uberfandon)).

• Like 1

Two bands give me a similar, overly happy and positive vibe that I find sends me to deep reverie or the like (hard to put into words), Rush and Jimmy Eat World. They couldn't be anymore different...

.. obviously Rush are leagues ahead, but still...I do find I have to play Rush like all the time.

And everytime I think I have worn an album out, I come back to it sometimes months later and not only is it fresh, its even more profoundly affecting my senses than it was the last time I was hooked on it.

For example, replaying 2112. The second side just gets better and better to the point that as an album, it is part of a streak of perfect albums!

And you know what else delights me? TODAY I GOT HOOKED ON THE DEBUT! The songs are beautiful!

Rush are without a doubt my favourite band (with STRONG competition from Lacuna Coil (sorry but I cannot turn my back on ten years of uberfandon)).

I really think you will learn to appreciate the first 4 studio albums even more when you hear the live versions of some of the songs. When I was 16 I did it a bit different. I heard them live many times over before I bought and heard the studio records. That's probably why I prefer them live to this day. Songs like Lakeside Park and In The End in particular take on a whole new greatness live. They are very gentle "nice" songs on the studio recordings. Just my opinion.....
  • Like 1

I really think you will learn to appreciate the first 4 studio albums even more when you hear the live versions of some of the songs. When I was 16 I did it a bit different. I heard them live many times over before I bought and heard the studio records. That's probably why I prefer them live to this day. Songs like Lakeside Park and In The End in particular take on a whole new greatness live. They are very gentle "nice" songs on the studio recordings. Just my opinion.....

My current verdicts:

Rush- 9/10

FBN- 6/10

CoS- 9.5/10

2112- 10/10

If I can appreciate these albums and individual songs anymore, believe me I will get those Live albums (money is currently tight...)

Because they're the holy triumvirate...........

• Like 2

Although I completely understand what you're saying I find that sometimes I need to take a break from their (or any one band's) music. I never want to get tired of Rush or find them overplayed, so I have to be careful to not play them constantly. I don't know if that is good or bad?

Although I completely understand what you're saying I find that sometimes I need to take a break from their (or any one band's) music. I never want to get tired of Rush or find them overplayed, so I have to be careful to not play them constantly. I don't know if that is good or bad?

Oh definitely. But Rush has such a variety of sounds that when I get bored of one Rush era, another era takes over instead.

Hence one day I rave about the eighties and proclaim HYF the best album ever, then a week later sing the praises of AFTK instead!

(Btw AFTK is so far ahead of HYF its not even funny)

(Btw AFTK is so far ahead of HYF its not even funny)

Truer words have never been spoken!

But that doesn't mean HYF isn't great in its own special way (because it is...).

• Like 2