Appeal to Hugh Syme: show us the Caress of Steel album cover you had in mind!

toymaker

I don't know if this is the right forum for this, but there's something I don't get about album covers.

We hear stories that the original logo on the first Rush album was supposed to have red lettering, but it came out pink. When they reissue an album, or a remaster, or whatever, why don't they give us what was intended?

The album cover for Caress of Steel was supposed to be this metallic, burnished steel sort of thing, but somebody "got creative" and made it look like bronze over this dark, bluey-green background. So, can someone show us the original conception? Do they think people will get confused?

I miss the old days of listening to vinyl albums, sittin' in my beanbag chair studying the album art and the lyrics and the liner notes. Mobley talks about this in his new book, too.

I don't know if this is the right forum for this, but there's something I don't get about album covers.

We hear stories that the original logo on the first Rush album was supposed to have red lettering, but it came out pink. When they reissue an album, or a remaster, or whatever, why don't they give us what was intended?

The album cover for Caress of Steel was supposed to be this metallic, burnished steel sort of thing, but somebody "got creative" and made it look like bronze over this dark, bluey-green background. So, can someone show us the original conception? Do they think people will get confused?

I miss the old days of listening to vinyl albums, sittin' in my beanbag chair studying the album art and the lyrics and the liner notes. Mobley talks about this in his new book, too.

Oh you will fit in great around here..... :codger: :cheers:
  • Like 1

I miss the old days of listening to vinyl albums, sittin' in my beanbag chair studying the album art and the lyrics and the liner notes.

No beanbag, but stretched out on my bed with my headphones on and thinking to myself that life just couldn't get any better. Me and my music. What more did I need? :LOL: Oh, youth! :cool:

By the way, Toymaker, what do you happen to think of AFTK?

I wants to know too...

• Like 2

I wants to know too...

I bet I can guess.... 5 stars :haz:

BTW.. Wonder if he's a ninny? We could use another..... :D

Edited by Narpski
  • Like 2

I wants to know too...

Probably, he's already given CA considerable praise

I wants to know too...

What is a ninny?

I wants to know too...

What is a ninny?

nin·ny

ˈninē/

noun

informal

•  

a foolish person or anyone who likes The Garden :)

•  

Dr S Coopers' definition....

Edited by Narpski

I wants to know too...

What is a ninny?

nin·ny

ˈninē/

noun

informal

•  

The Garden is one of the finest Rush songs ever! Arg.

Are you a ninny? I hope not...

A Farewell to Kings is the beginning of the "Period of Glorious Rush Majesty," hinted at by 2112 and bid a fond farewell by the end of Signals. Not to say I don't dig everything from Finding my Way to The Garden (and Garden Road, which, when I discovered it on the Internet, almost made me cry tears of joy), but those unbefuckinglievable (can I say "unbefuckinglievable"?) albums will forever be associated with my adolescent self's Happy Place, and turned me right on to guitar, bass and drums and trying to write my own songs. A Farewell to Kings continues to melt my face off, from the twittering birdies to the haunting Cm - Ebm - Em progression that closes it.

• Like 4

The Canadian album logo is red.

Is it? I just had a look at my Anthem issue LP, and it looks awfully pink to me. This being the copy that I didn't colour over with a red magic marker when I was younger.

A Farewell to Kings is the beginning of the "Period of Glorious Rush Majesty," hinted at by 2112 and bid a fond farewell by the end of Signals. Not to say I don't dig everything from Finding my Way to The Garden (and Garden Road, which, when I discovered it on the Internet, almost made me cry tears of joy), but those unbefuckinglievable (can I say "unbefuckinglievable"?) albums will forever be associated with my adolescent self's Happy Place, and turned me right on to guitar, bass and drums and trying to write my own songs. A Farewell to Kings continues to melt my face off, from the twittering birdies to the haunting Cm - Ebm - Em progression that closes it.

:wub: :wub: :wub:

The Canadian album logo is red.

Is it? I just had a look at my Anthem issue LP, and it looks awfully pink to me. This being the copy that I didn't colour over with a red magic marker when I was younger.

I think she means the moon version

The interest in Caress of Steel is a hopeful sign. :)

I loved it when I was young, then I sort of disliked it when I was older and sophisticated and trying to be cool; then I decided I liked my first impression better and being sophisticated and cool is not such a great way to be anyway. Caress of Steel pretty much scorches my brain—with a couple of moments that I wait patiently through: 1) Panacea and 2) the spoken narrative bits. I also can't help but chuckle at "silence shrouds the forest as the birds announce the dawn." I always think of birds holding little signs (because they are obviously not making any noise). Then....Alex's solo in the Necromancer, which is beautiful and unholy and blisters my cortex.

I wants to know too...

What is a ninny?

nin·ny

ˈninē/

noun

informal

•  

• Dr S Coopers' definition....

I like the Garden because my wife loves the Garden—partly—but I also think it's an interesting song (great solo, too).

I wants to know too...

What is a ninny?

nin·ny

ˈninē/

noun

informal

•  

• Dr S Coopers' definition....

I like the Garden because my wife loves the Garden—partly—but I also think it's an interesting song (great solo, too).

Welcome to the club.... :d13:

This was my question, though. Maybe I'll check to see if Hugh Syme has a web site, and if he can be contacted. Someone needs to convince him to do right by this album cover. If done the way he intended, I bet it would be among the coolest album covers...

Update: I have e-mailed. We'll see if he writes back!

Edited by toymaker

The interest in Caress of Steel is a hopeful sign. :)

I loved it when I was young, then I sort of disliked it when I was older and sophisticated and trying to be cool; then I decided I liked my first impression better and being sophisticated and cool is not such a great way to be anyway. Caress of Steel pretty much scorches my brain—with a couple of moments that I wait patiently through: 1) Panacea and 2) the spoken narrative bits. I also can't help but chuckle at "silence shrouds the forest as the birds announce the dawn." I always think of birds holding little signs (because they are obviously not making any noise). Then....Alex's solo in the Necromancer, which is beautiful and unholy and blisters my cortex.

I always figured that Neil was implying that the birds were breaking the silence that was shrouding the forest
  • Like 2

I always figured that Neil was implying that the birds were breaking the silence that was shrouding the forest

I'm willing to go with that interpretation. The combination of present tense verbs and the preposition "as" just makes it sound like the two things are happening simultaneously. At the end of the day....I should chill!

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

Cool. Still a fair bit of the green in there, though—I see it more as a monochrome steel with an engraving. How'd you do that, anyway?