They were The Eighties!

lerxt1990

Attention members of the rush forum: in my opinion the decade known as "the 80s" sucked compared to other decades. That is all.

Oh I dont know, some of it was good. And better than the 90s in many ways. :)

Boy you got THAT right.

I loved the 90s. If I could return to any time I've been alive I would drop in around '92

Same here.

The 80s were fun and goofy. But whenever I see tv shows or movies from that era, I mostly cringe. The 90s brought it all back to reality.

The one thing I really didn't like about the 90s was the direction music took once grunge rock became popular. Bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam started the downward slide in the quality of musicianship. Everything started sounding like uncle Bob's garage band.

Interesting, I see it the other way round: the music of the 80s sounds so fake and plastic-made for me. And let's not talk about hair metal. When Soundgarden (which I loved) and Nirvana became huge, it was like a return to a "real" sound for me. As for musicianship, were Soundgarden bad players? Really?

Oh well sure, I was speaking generally and not specifically referring to any band in particular, but Soundgarden was fairly generic, IMO. .Maybe it's because I'm a musician but it was obvious to me that agents were signing bands that played simpler music.Things weren't as polished, and neither was the musicianship. More and more bands sounded like Nirvana clones. And no one could say that Nirvana played technically challenging music.

Attention members of the rush forum: in my opinion the decade known as "the 80s" sucked compared to other decades. That is all.

Boy you got THAT right.

I loved the 90s. If I could return to any time I've been alive I would drop in around '92

Same here.

The 80s were fun and goofy. But whenever I see tv shows or movies from that era, I mostly cringe. The 90s brought it all back to reality.

The one thing I really didn't like about the 90s was the direction music took once grunge rock became popular. Bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam started the downward slide in the quality of musicianship. Everything started sounding like uncle Bob's garage band.

Interesting, I see it the other way round: the music of the 80s sounds so fake and plastic-made for me. And let's not talk about hair metal. When Soundgarden (which I loved) and Nirvana became huge, it was like a return to a "real" sound for me. As for musicianship, were Soundgarden bad players? Really?

Oh well sure, I was speaking generally and not specifically referring to any band in particular, but Soundgarden was fairly generic, IMO. .Maybe it's because I'm a musician but it was obvious to me that agents were signing bands that played simpler music.Things weren't as polished, and neither was the musicianship. More and more bands sounded like Nirvana clones. And no one could say that Nirvana played technically challenging music.

When a song is great, who needs complexity? Grunge was awesome as so much of the music was back to basics. I am not a grunge fan AT ALL, but Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Nirvana and others released great records, and I think if we are going to complain about nineties music, grunge should be the least of our worries.

*cough* nu metal *cough cough*

• Like 2

Boy you got THAT right.

Same here.

When a song is great, who needs complexity? Grunge was awesome as so much of the music was back to basics. I am not a grunge fan AT ALL, but Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Nirvana and others released great records, and I think if we are going to complain about nineties music, grunge should be the least of our worries.

Whatever that is. :LOL:

Boy you got THAT right.

Same here.

Korn

Limp Bizkit

Mushroomhead

Coal Chamber

Linkin Park

I think the band names say it all really.

Boy you got THAT right.

Same here.

Korn

Limp Bizkit

Mushroomhead

Coal Chamber

Linkin Park

I think the band names say it all really.

If you haven't really listened to linkin park I suggest you give them a go. IMO one of the best bands of the 00s. They have tried a lot of styles and do some great songwriting. Their 2010 album was a stylistic change but I loved it. Check out waiting for the end or robot boy. Great songs.

I'm really intimidated by how many years of musical experience you guys have behind you... I'm by far inferior.. :notworthy:

Top Albums

1980s

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/04/Michael_Jackson_1984.jpg/160px-Michael_Jackson_1984.jpg

http://bits.wikimedia.org/static-1.24wmf5/skins/common/images/magnify-clip.pngMichael Jackson's Thriller was the best-selling album for two years in a row. Year Performing artist(s) Nationality Album Ref. 1980 AC/DC Australia Back in Black [25] 1981 REO Speedwagon United States Hi Infidelity [26] 1982 Asia United Kingdom Asia [27] 1983 Michael Jackson United States Thriller [28] 1984 Michael Jackson United States Thriller [29] 1985 Bruce Springsteen United States Born in the U.S.A. [30] 1986 Whitney Houston United States Whitney Houston [31] 1987 Bon Jovi United States Slippery When Wet [32] 1988 George Michael United Kingdom Faith [33] 1989 Bobby Brown United States Don't Be Cruel [34]

1990s

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ac/Spice_Girls_in_Toronto%2C_Ontario.jpg/230px-Spice_Girls_in_Toronto%2C_Ontario.jpg

http://bits.wikimedia.org/static-1.24wmf5/skins/common/images/magnify-clip.pngBritish pop girl group Spice Girls had the best-selling album of 1997. Year Performing artist(s) Nationality Album Sales Ref. 1990 Janet Jackson United States Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814 [35] 1991 Garth Brooks United States Ropin' The Wind [36] 1992 Billy Ray Cyrus United States Some Gave All 4,832,000 [37] 1993 Whitney Houston/soundtrack – The Bodyguard 5,460,000 [38] 1994 Soundtrack – The Lion King 4,934,000 [39] 1995 Hootie and the Blowfish United States Cracked Rear View 7,020,000 [40] 1996 Alanis Morissette Canada Jagged Little Pill 7,380,000 [41] 1997 Spice Girls United Kingdom Spice 5,302,000 [40] 1998 James Horner/soundtrack – Titanic 9,338,000 [41] 1999 Backstreet Boys United States Millennium 9,446,000 [41]

RUSH:

The 80s

PeW

MP

Signals

GuP

PoW

HYF

Presto

A rather DANDY little 10 years of artistic production if'n you ask me! No longer dissing 90's, just saying, while a lot of suffering was going on musically, Rush made plnety to enjoy.

• Like 2

Boy you got THAT right.

Same here.

I'm not really a big fan of soundgarden or anything, so I'm not really defending them, but being "technically challenging" (which often means "songwriting-challenged") doesn't necessarily make your music good. not only that, but there were tons of great musicians in the 90s, if musical masturbation's more your thing.

Boy you got THAT right.

Same here.

I'm not really a big fan of soundgarden or anything, so I'm not really defending them, but being "technically challenging" (which often means "songwriting-challenged") doesn't necessarily make your music good. not only that, but there were tons of great musicians in the 90s, if musical masturbation's more your thing.

You're not really understanding what I was trying to say. I don't necessarily think being technically proficient on an instrument or as a singer makes a person less likely to be a good songwriter. There have always been musical wankers but that's not what I mean by being a good player. There was a time when striving to be the best you could be on an instrument was looked upon as a good thing. Then the tide seemed to turn and more and more mediocre musicians/bands who were only fair musicians were being signed by record companies. They might write catchy songs but they were not on the whole very proficient musicians. This was most noticeable around the time when Nirvana (Smells Like Teen Spirit) showed up.

Boy you got THAT right.

Same here.

You're not really understanding what I was trying to say. I don't necessarily think being technically proficient on an instrument or as a singer makes a person less likely to be a good songwriter. There have always been musical wankers but that's not what I mean by being a good player. There was a time when striving to be the best you could be on an instrument was looked upon as a good thing. Then the tide seemed to turn and more and more mediocre musicians/bands who were only fair musicians were being signed by record companies. They might write catchy songs but they were not on the whole very proficient musicians. This was most noticeable around the time when Nirvana (Smells Like Teen Spirit) showed up.

Well, if I understand correctly what you're saying, the Nirvana case is just another turn of the big wheel. Think about when The Clash and The Sex Pistols came up in direct opposition to EL&P and Yes. They WERE "bad" musicians and they BASED their identity on that, it was part of their phylosophy. It was like: "Even if we can't play 7/11 we have a voice" and that's, IMHO, not a bad thing. Nirvana came from that. Simple songs for simple ears. Not to say that simple ears can't be educated, but you're not lucky enough to have access to education and culture, or come from a musical family, well, your ears might remain simple a long time.

• Like 1

I miss the 80s for mostly nostalgic reasons anymore. Listening to vinyl, NES, Mike Tyson, Penn State was good and free of scandals that ended me being a fan, The Wonder Years, Ron Hextall, horror films, etc. All kid stuff and I've grown up now so living without those things no longer bothers me. It was a cool decade and musically, probably Rush's finest. The rest, unfortunately, is quite forgettable.

On the other hand, I used to hate the 90s and I've actually come to appreciate them quite a bit now. I started having sex in the 90s. How the hell do you beat that?

Edited by Snyder80

I miss the 80s for mostly nostalgic reasons anymore. Listening to vinyl, NES, Mike Tyson, Penn State was good and free of scandals that ended me being a fan, The Wonder Years, Ron Hextall, horror films, etc. All kid stuff and I've grown up now so living without those things no longer bothers me. It was a cool decade and musically, probably Rush's finest. The rest, unfortunately, is quite forgettable.

On the other hand, I used to hate the 90s and I've actually come to appreciate them quite a bit now. I started having sex in the 90s. How the hell do you beat that?

Jerry Sandusky was hired as a coach at pen state in 1969 and started the charity he used to assault boys in 1977 and several people came forward claiming they were assaulted in the late 70s by him so I would not say that pen state was free of scandals just that they were ignoring them still. Sorry to slightly derail the thread but I had to reply.

Whatever...crappy phone...arg arg arg Edited by Segue Myles

Top Albums

1980s

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/04/Michael_Jackson_1984.jpg/160px-Michael_Jackson_1984.jpg

http://bits.wikimedia.org/static-1.24wmf5/skins/common/images/magnify-clip.pngMichael Jackson's Thriller was the best-selling album for two years in a row. Year Performing artist(s) Nationality Album Ref. 1980 AC/DC Australia Back in Black [25] 1981 REO Speedwagon United States Hi Infidelity [26] 1982 Asia United Kingdom Asia [27] 1983 Michael Jackson United States Thriller [28] 1984 Michael Jackson United States Thriller [29] 1985 Bruce Springsteen United States Born in the U.S.A. [30] 1986 Whitney Houston United States Whitney Houston [31] 1987 Bon Jovi United States Slippery When Wet [32] 1988 George Michael United Kingdom Faith [33] 1989 Bobby Brown United States Don't Be Cruel [34]

1990s

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ac/Spice_Girls_in_Toronto%2C_Ontario.jpg/230px-Spice_Girls_in_Toronto%2C_Ontario.jpg

http://bits.wikimedia.org/static-1.24wmf5/skins/common/images/magnify-clip.pngBritish pop girl group Spice Girls had the best-selling album of 1997. Year Performing artist(s) Nationality Album Sales Ref. 1990 Janet Jackson United States Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814 [35] 1991 Garth Brooks United States Ropin' The Wind [36] 1992 Billy Ray Cyrus United States Some Gave All 4,832,000 [37] 1993 Whitney Houston/soundtrack – The Bodyguard 5,460,000 [38] 1994 Soundtrack – The Lion King 4,934,000 [39] 1995 Hootie and the Blowfish United States Cracked Rear View 7,020,000 [40] 1996 Alanis Morissette Canada Jagged Little Pill 7,380,000 [41] 1997 Spice Girls United Kingdom Spice 5,302,000 [40] 1998 James Horner/soundtrack – Titanic 9,338,000 [41] 1999 Backstreet Boys United States Millennium 9,446,000 [41]

some awesome albums on that list! MJ, Springsteen, Lion King OST, Morissette...yeah some cool records!

I don't necessarily think being technically proficient on an instrument or as a singer makes a person less likely to be a good songwriter.

In my opinion, the fewer tools you give someone, the less likely the are to be innovative. Sure you can come up with a 3 chord progression and a simple melody that is catchy and good but not really pioneering anything. On the other hand, a well seasoned musician with a chord arsenal at his disposal can write something seemingly simplistic but subtly gorgeous. I'll give you The Garden as an example. Pretty simple structure but the chords Al is playing are not something you pick up reading your Roy Clarke guitar book. Some gorgeous stuff in there and you do have to be very proficient to come up with chords like that and even more proficient to write a nice melody over those chords.

Did that make sense?

I don't necessarily think being technically proficient on an instrument or as a singer makes a person less likely to be a good songwriter.

In my opinion, the fewer tools you give someone, the less likely the are to be innovative. Sure you can come up with a 3 chord progression and a simple melody that is catchy and good but not really pioneering anything. On the other hand, a well seasoned musician with a chord arsenal at his disposal can write something seemingly simplistic but subtly gorgeous. I'll give you The Garden as an example. Pretty simple structure but the chords Al is playing are not something you pick up reading your Roy Clarke guitar book. Some gorgeous stuff in there and you do have to be very proficient to come up with chords like that and even more proficient to write a nice melody over those chords.

Did that make sense?

Yes, and I agree. :)

just kidding, but anyway, I just usually judge music on how pleasing it is to the ears... I don't care how flashy you play, or how shitty you play. if it rocks, it rocks

if music started with king crimson and ended with dream theater for me, life would get pretty boring

• Like 4

just kidding, but anyway, I just usually judge music on how pleasing it is to the ears... I don't care how flashy you play, or how shitty you play. if it rocks, it rocks

if music started with king crimson and ended with dream theater for me, life would get pretty boring

This!

This!

Agreed but if music never got to this point... I would get bored.

This!

Agreed but if music never got to this point... I would get bored.

Lets just agree that the world is good with all its genres! Heck...world music, folk music, classical...rock is just a drop in the ocean, with prog a mere molecule!

a lot of you are making it sound like you got all your music from the radio or something!

generalizations about hair bands being all the 80s were and "bob's garage band" polluting the 90s makes it sound like you guys were so out of it, all you remember is 10 minutes of mtv you saw once

All I ever heard was from the radio..! :D