Under the Pink...Tori Amos Fan Thread

Ya_Big_Tree

It just occurred to me that this musical goddess doesn't even have her own thread here, so I guess I shall start one as she has been such an inspiration to me and to women around the world.

Anyone else here love her music?

Here are some awesome pics:

http://www.amalgama-lab.com/pict/bands/songs/t/tori_amos.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-lP2shf2f5Iw/UGSkL0ILP7I/AAAAAAAABD4/VEPSZm856Z4/s1600/Amos.jpg

• Like 2

You work fast YBT, you rule! :D-13: Ok, it may not get many replies in a Rush forum but who cares... :D-13:

Your fave album? Mine is probably still FTCH but it could've changed, I haven't reassessed for ages :martini:

• Like 1

What a great idea for a topic!!

I was heavily into her at the beginning. The first three albums were like a bible to me for a time. Especially Boys for Pele. Then I began to loose connection around Hotel. Her last album I got was Scarlet's Walk. After that, the void.

Have I changed so much?

• Like 2

I loved her first two records (not counting Y Kant Tori Read; I'm talking about Little Earthquakes and Under the Pink). Starting with Boys for Pele, I thought the weirdness factor was turned up a little too high, and I never was interested in much that she did after that. But if someone here can make some other recommendations for later albums of hers, I might be... ;)
  • Like 1

Yes, she's an all-time favorite of mine. Very much looking forward to her new album (May).

Post-Pele I'd recommend From The Choirgirl Hotel (1998 and my favorite album of hers) and Scarlet's Walk from 2001. Excellent records in my opinion. I'm also very fond of her 2009 album Abnormally Attracted To Sin. I think the weirdness of things like Blood Roses and the like have been toned down...(she also kicked coke, so there's that). She also did an album that was very piano and string based called Night Of Hunters (her most recent studio record of original material - 2011) where she took lesser known classical pieces as inspirations and turned them into quasi-original compositions. It's very much a back-to-acoustic roots for her, even though it's a themed record....(and distributed as a classical album as well). No pop songs there, though, but some amazing playing and vocals.

The beautiful thing about Tori is that she's always worth checking out because even with some filler, the good stuff that resides on every album is always worth it...(and never easier to pick and choose than in this day and age).

Edited by Presto-digitation
  • Like 1

I loved her first two albums (not Y Kant Tori Read (which I've never heard)) and I loved her Winter EP (covering the Stones, Zeppelin and Nirvana). Winter is probably one of my all time favorite songs. Since becoming a father and having my wife survive several near death medical conditions, I'm a get emotional much more often. But as an 18 year old I rarely did, and Winter was one song that always had an incredible emotional impact on me.

Boys for Pele was ok, for me, but after that things went downhill. I haven't listened to most of her most recent work. I will say that I love her cover of "I don't Like Mondays", even though it's depressing as shit.

Yes, she's an all-time favorite of mine. Very much looking forward to her new album (May).

Post-Pele I'd recommend From The Choirgirl Hotel (1998 and my favorite album of hers) and Scarlet's Walk from 2001. Excellent records in my opinion. I'm also very fond of her 2009 album Abnormally Attracted To Sin. I think the weirdness of things like Blood Roses and the like have been toned down...(she also kicked coke, so there's that). She also did an album that was very piano and string based called Night Of Hunters (her most recent studio record of original material - 2011) where she took lesser known classical pieces as inspirations and turned them into quasi-original compositions. It's very much a back-to-acoustic roots for her, even though it's a themed record....(and distributed as a classical album as well). No pop songs there, though, but some amazing playing and vocals.

The beautiful thing about Tori is that she's always worth checking out because even with some filler, the good stuff that resides on every album is always worth it...(and never easier to pick and choose than in this day and age).

:hi:

Great posting! I totally agree Choirgirl Hotel is a great choice for someone to hear a lil more range of her music other than the heavy piano that Little Earthquakes and Under the Pink are... which are my 2 faves BTW. I am SOOOO excited for the new album and I hope I finally get to see her on tour this time. I would love to see her pounding on the keys of 2 pianos at the same time in her very sexual allure. She is amazing and I hope this helps get more people (not just women) into her music.

:)

Great to see more Tori fans on the board. :D

Wow Presto, call me naive but I was shocked to read she did coke. I always thought she was more into mushrooms and stuff.

The last time I saw her, about 10 years ago, someone in the audience asked her (the nerve!) to play with spread legs, but she replied "I'm a married woman now!"

I remember I was quite disappointed by Doll Posse, while another project I was never sold on was Strange Little Girls. Covers albums don't do it for me. But still, that album has an impressive Slayer cover. Even more menacing than the original. Here it is:

http://youtu.be/lCpOAXIgF9U

• Like 1

Wow Presto, call me naive but I was shocked to read she did coke. I always thought she was more into mushrooms and stuff.

The last time I saw her, about 10 years ago, someone in the audience asked her (the nerve!) to play with spread legs, but she replied "I'm a married woman now!"

I remember I was quite disappointed by Doll Posse, while another project I was never sold on was Strange Little Girls. Covers albums don't do it for me. But still, that album has an impressive Slayer cover. Even more menacing than the original. Here it is:

That totally is the BEST cover I've ever heard of that song. It's so cool how she takes Metal songs and brings them to the piano in a haunting way you would never think you'd hear that song.

I also love her cover of Nirvana's Smell Like Teen Spirit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRuTkB9L5jc

• Like 1

Great posting! I totally agree Choirgirl Hotel is a great choice for someone to hear a lil more range of her music other than the heavy piano that Little Earthquakes and Under the Pink are... which are my 2 faves BTW. I am SOOOO excited for the new album and I hope I finally get to see her on tour this time. I would love to see her pounding on the keys of 2 pianos at the same time in her very sexual allure. She is amazing and I hope this helps get more people (not just women) into her music.

And I believe her next tour is just her and no Jon Evans or Matt Chamberlain.

I saw her on the Strange Little Girls tour, twice on Scarlet's Walk tour, and then again (and lastly so far) on the American Doll Posse tour. Hope you get to see her.

I love her cover of Tom Waits "Time" too. She performed that on Dave Letterman in the days following 9/11...and it's pretty emotional to watch.

I was heavily into her at the beginning. The first three albums were like a bible to me for a time. Especially Boys for Pele. Then I began to loose connection around Hotel. Her last album I got was Scarlet's Walk. After that, the void.

Have I changed so much?

That's pretty much my story.

Have I changed so much?

You know, I have been thinking about the whys of this the other morning... If I go back to those years, well, it was the years when I couldn't get girls :LOL: :lol: :LOL: , so the feminine universe was this kind of black hole, unknown galaxy... Tori's world was fundamental in helping me to connect and discover that side of the universe. And even her symbolism, wacko as it was, I got it. Or at least I thought I got it. Worked for me. Then around Hotel her language started to change, or maybe I was changing, and it was really lost connection. Like when you loose the signal from a radio station.

Now you don't get to write this kind of stories about Slayer, do you? :D :D :D

My favourite Tori song, like ever ever ever:

http://youtu.be/G0jAEFpKI4k

• Like 1

Have I changed so much?

You know, I have been thinking about the whys of this the other morning... If I go back to those years, well, it was the years when I couldn't get girls :LOL: :lol: :LOL: , so the feminine universe was this kind of black hole, unknown galaxy... Tori's world was fundamental in helping me to connect and discover that side of the universe. And even her symbolism, wacko as it was, I got it. Or at least I thought I got it. Worked for me. Then around Hotel her language started to change, or maybe I was changing, and it was really lost connection. Like when you loose the signal from a radio station.

Now you don't get to write this kind of stories about Slayer, do you? :D :D :D

I know EXACTLY what you mean! :LOL: Tori marathon coming up soon ya devils!

Edited by Steevo
  • Like 1

Thanks Presto-digi for the recommendations, and hey Ya Big Tree- I saw Tori a couple of times in 1994, and she was pretty amazing. If she's still as good of a live performer now, you definitely need to go.

• Like 1

For any even quasi-interested former Tori listeners, just hit a few of those albums mentioned and youtube or spotify some cuts and see how they speak to you. She's not quite as "weird" as she had gotten by the mid-90s...(although that still surfaces on this song or that).

I have Little Earthquakes and From the Choirgirl Hotel. Both are great but I've never listened to any of her other albums.

If I were you just because you own those two I would definitely give Under the Pink and Boys for Pele a whirl. They're both excellent essential Tori. Be sure to get back with your thoughts.

• Like 1

New Tori tune out...TOMORROW.

So excited to let you know that tomorrow you will be able to hear the first song from Unrepentant Geraldines. It's called Trouble's Lament and be sure to check back here tomorrow for details of how to hear it. I also couldn't wait any longer to share the tracklisting from the record:

1. America

2. Trouble’s Lament

3. Wild Way

4. Wedding Day

5. Weatherman

6. 16 Shades of Blue

7. Maids of Elfen-mere

8. Promise

9. Giant’s Rolling Pin

10. Selkie

11. Unrepentant Geraldines

12. Oysters

13. Rose Dover

14. Invisible Boy

• Like 1

It just occurred to me that this musical goddess doesn't even have her own thread here, so I guess I shall start one as she has been such an inspiration to me and to women around the world.

Anyone else here love her music?

Here are some awesome pics:

http://www.amalgama-lab.com/pict/bands/songs/t/tori_amos.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-lP2shf2f5Iw/UGSkL0ILP7I/AAAAAAAABD4/VEPSZm856Z4/s1600/Amos.jpg

I'd bang her probably but that would just put her on a very long list... :16ton: