California Breed..from the ashes of Black Country Communion

Well, after listening to it, it's a pretty solid album. The craft is pretty good from these guys as it is expected. Nothing too groundbreaking, but just really solid stuff. Might need to listen to this album in a few more weeks to really define my favorites of it.
  • Like 1

It's amazing how Glenn's voice can carry an entire album. I know there is much more to it, from the song writing, drumming, etc. The guitar playing is solid, even if there is not a great solo on every song.

From the time I first heard Glenn's voice in 2010, I knew that this was the heavy rock voice I had always wanted to hear.

I heard Midnight Oil on the radio in my friend's car, it sounded better in this context. When it first came on I recognized it but couldn't place it and Glenn's voice is kind of disguised on that one so I didn't get it right away coming out of the blue like that.

This was the radio station for the record:

http://www.realradioxs.co.uk/

Ok I've just bought this album, the standard edition, because the best price for it was £5 better than the best price I could get for the deluxe edition. So that would be £5 for essentially one extra track. Am I missing out on not having the extra tune "solo"?

I just listened to this version of it, sounds alright...

RE the lack of guitar solos, I decided it didn't matter, Hughes is quality, Bonham is a beast and the new guitar kid seems pretty solid. And at the end of the day I have a million albums with a zillion mega guitar solos, so buying one rock album that lacks them won't kill me. :guitar: :hail:

RE the lack of guitar solos, I decided it didn't matter, Hughes is quality, Bonham is a beast and the new guitar kid seems pretty solid. And at the end of the day I have a million albums with a zillion mega guitar solos, so buying one rock album that lacks them won't kill me. :guitar: :hail:

Vapor Trails called, it wants its review back.

Vapor Trails called, it wants its review back.

Aye! :16ton: :haz:

Here´s the setlist of their live debut:

1. The Grey
  2. Chemical Rain
  3. Sweet Tea
  4. Invisible
  5. Scars
  6. Solo
  7. All Falls Down
  8. What is and What Should Never Be (Led Zeppelin cover)
  9. Strong
  10. Spit You Out
  11. Breathe
  12. Medusa (Trapeze cover)
  13. Days They Come
  14. The Way
  15. Midnight Oil
  16. Encore:
  17. Immigrant Song (Led Zeppelin cover)
  18. Burn (Deep Purple cover)

• Like 1

I like the album. The songs out now are reasonably indicative of what you're going to get, although I would say that if you like what you've already heard (Sweet Tea and Midnight Oil) there are BETTER songs on this record still coming, so take consolation in that.

My trifle is that Andrew Watt, while a competent rhythm player and singer, isn't much of a lead guy....at all, should that mean anything to you. And it might, seeing the band's style has drawn comparisons to Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, etc. Those expecting some fine guitar breaks are going to be sorely disappointed. This was the fellow who it's said would make you forget about Joe Bonamassa and Black Country Communion, but that's simply not the case by my estimation.

Honestly the album makes the better case that they should be a foursome with a proper lead guitarist than the next great power trio. And while they're heavier and brassier than BCC's blues-rock base, California Breed is not necessarily better. You're not only lacking some much needed quality solos, you're also lacking the texture, color, and space filling organ that was present in BCC. (We knew ahead of time that there would be no keyboards, but the fullness of the songs suffer a bit for this).

Anyhow...I'm a long way from having really absorbed the record. Barely at all, in fact, but I do indeed like it and think that with additional listens I'll enjoy it all the more. I am a bit miffed that Watt's burgeoning talents were a bit overstated, though, but that's Glenn Hughes for you too.

Like I think I said before in this thread Glenn has never been a discoverer of talent or a guy who poached good players and made bands out of them like a Ritchie Blackmore or a David Coverdale. Glenn has always been a guy who teamed up with big, established names (Tony Iommi, Black Country Communion, Hughes-Thrall) or joined well-known bands (Deep Purple, Black Sabbath) or worked with average unknown guys. So it's understandable that he would overstate this kid's abilities.

Ok I've just bought this album, the standard edition, because the best price for it was £5 better than the best price I could get for the deluxe edition. So that would be £5 for essentially one extra track. Am I missing out on not having the extra tune "solo"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw9yXVp_imU

I'm just not turned on by this guy, Watt. Joe Bonamassa is missed by this fan. BCC 2 kicks this album's ass.

• Like 1

I'm just not turned on by this guy, Watt. Joe Bonamassa is missed by this fan. BCC 2 kicks this album's ass.

Yeah well what can you do? Is Bonamassa and Sherinian getting a post-BCC band together?

Yeah well what can you do? Is Bonamassa and Sherinian getting a post-BCC band together?

What you can do, as Cali Breed, is hire a guitarist who makes me forget about Joe Bonamassa. Unfortunately that didn't come close to happening.

• Like 1

What you can do, as Cali Breed, is hire a guitarist who makes me forget about Joe Bonamassa. Unfortunately that didn't come close to happening.

Hughes/Bonham peaked with BCC2.

This is a mostly average album.

If you like this kind of stuff, the new Rival Sons album out next week will be a much better album from what I've heard so far.

Well don't tell me tell Hughes. I never would have hired the kid if it had been me. I'd have made a big offer to Guthrie Govan or Andy Timmons and had one of those guys blow Bonamassa away.

Hughes/Bonham peaked with BCC2.

This is a mostly average album.

If you like this kind of stuff, the new Rival Sons album out next week will be a much better album from what I've heard so far.

An infinitely superior band and the best rock and roll band on the planet right now, in my estimation.

In the CD liner notes, Watt's first "thank you" goes to Mr. Dumble. So either he (at 23) has the $$$$$ to buy a Dumble amp on the open market, or Dumble thinks enough of him as a player to make him an amp. And since he is thanking Dumble, my guess is that Dumble made him an amp.

It´s amazing how straight rock and roll bands have had a rebirth of sorts recently: BCC, The Temperance Movement, The Winery Dogs, Rival Sons, Black Stone Cherry, California Breed...all distinctive, and yet they seem to share the wish to bring back the basics. For me personally, after years of listening to intrincated, complex prog metal bands with the oddest time signatures ever, it´s good to have a fresh start and enjoy the good old three chord progression for a change.

Any of you guys heard of the band Simo? I got their self titled first album today, and I really like what I have heard so far. They are in the vein of what we are talking about in here. Makes me wish Glenn Hughes would have tapped J. D. Simo to be the guitarist for California Breed.