NAMM 2014

CygnusX-1Bk2

Here are some pictures I took at this year's NAMM show this past weekend.

Here are some Crush drums lit from inside on a cool riser with interesting mic placement (look around the kit). The LEDs change color too.

1096967_10202161150727849_1666045582_o.jpg

• Like 1

Pearl drums, also lit from inside:

1655798_10202161153127909_1206675738_o.jpg

More Pearls:

1502352_10202161154367940_326321185_o.jpg

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2
  • Like 1

Our buddy Geddy at the Fender booth:

1499404_10202161157248012_784708360_o.jpg

Strat Anniversary display

1602088_10202161158048032_870855830_o.jpg

My buddy's company makes these cool One Control FX loop switchers:

1048998_10202161159248062_721042363_o.jpg

Ludwig had some sice kits this year. Shallow bass drums are back!

892320_10202161159528069_157367180_o.jpg

And their big kit reconfigured

1557411_10202161160008081_516751238_o.jpg

These are interesting. Rotodrums. Not too bad sounding but kind of gimmicky. Basically like coupled rototoms but they don't spin to change pitch.

1015440_10202161160288088_512400856_o.jpg

Did you happen to get any pix from the Marcus Bass booth?

Probably not since if you don't know about them, you probably wouldn't have stopped by.

I only took pics of things that caught my eye and seemed interesting to me. I normally go for the full 4 days but had other obligations this year so I only spent about 8 hours at the show this time. I never got to Martin or any of the obscure places. After 10 years of these you get a little non plussed by the whole thing. Not to mention the after parties are being squeezed by the hotels so the vibe was a little different this year.

Here are some pictures I took at this year's NAMM show this past weekend.

Here are some Crush drums lit from inside on a cool riser with interesting mic placement (look around the kit). The LEDs change color too.

1096967_10202161150727849_1666045582_o.jpg

I can't agree with myself wether I like it or not. Mad skills though!

Well, it is a plastic kit. Can't imagine how it sounds because I couldn't play them. I did play the Rotodrums. I played some other hand made drums but didn't take any photos of those. They were ok. The Crush kit is attractive looking. It's hard to tell from the picture because of the interior lights but the finish has branches in it too. Totally aesthetic. The lights faded berween colors on about a 10-15 second interval across the spectrum of blues, purples and pinks/reds.

Awesome Cygnus!

I actually touched Neil Peart's drum set at NAMM a few years ago. :)

I wasn't able to make it this year, unfortunately. Planning on going next year though. Looks like you had a good time.

What, no Carvin?

I saw the Carvin booth but never made it there. Passed through Music Man/Ernie Ball but not much new there either. Totally missed Martin too. Didn't have much time this year.

Well, it is a plastic kit. Can't imagine how it sounds because I couldn't play them. I did play the Rotodrums. I played some other hand made drums but didn't take any photos of those. They were ok. The Crush kit is attractive looking. It's hard to tell from the picture because of the interior lights but the finish has branches in it too. Totally aesthetic. The lights faded berween colors on about a 10-15 second interval across the spectrum of blues, purples and pinks/reds.

The Crush kit has a very flat, but punchy tone to it. It works best if you are going for a gigging kit where you get nothing but attack with very little resonance with the drum.

A couple friends of mine did the rack and wraps/illuminations for that kit. The guy who does the rack goes by the name Mr. Sawbladehead and he does all these crazy hardware designs and configurations (most recently Ray Luzier's rack system for Korn). Great guy to work with if you have several grand to drop on a hardware design. He also does microphone stands and other types of instrument stands/holders. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mr-Sawbladehead/111828748843766

The drum head, wraps and LED illumination for the kit was done by a company called Drumstatic. They mostly do custom drum heads (notable artists include Kiss, Korn, Justin Timberlake, Madonna, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Five Finger Death Punch & Kamelot), but have just recently started getting into custom drum wrap designs. Casey (from drumstatic) also did the illuminated heads for the Pearl kit and most recently collaborated with Chad Smith on the kit he's using for the Super Bowl. Prices are very reasonable too for any drum head artwork you want done (starts at around $45 for a head). http://www.drumstatic.com

On a side note, this year seemed to be the year for cymbals at NAMM. Crescent partnering up with Sabian, Sabian's new Players Choice winners (the only ones I liked were the Frequency Hats btw), tons of new Meinl models; but Zildjian stole the show in my opinion with their new Kerope line. These cymbals sound absolutely amazing and are a must have for any serious cymbal junkie (like me) and any jazz drummer.

• Like 1

Thanks Kazz! that is great info. Glad you're back!

My buddy Elvis has a Meinl endorsement and helped get them into Guitar Center. Their lines, especially Byzance and Amun are top notch. I've recorded them quite a bit and they are very nice. They have a new Byzance cymbal variant that looks, sounds and plays like an A Zildjian from the 70s or 80s.

I have been so disappointed with Zildjian since Armand's passing I didn't even get there. I do like the Turkish brand but this was the first year I didn't purchase a piece from them in 4 visits since my first purchase from them. The nice lady there always remembers me. I love their stuff. More Zildjian than Zildjian.

The Kerope Zildjians play like a classic K Zildjian from the 50's (something that Zildjian tried to do with the Constantinople line for years). What's also interesting is that they are not labeled as a crash or ride cymbal. Just 18", 19", 20" and 22". The philosophy behind that is so that the individual player decides what they are using that particular cymbal for. My store manager just ordered the full set of these for his personal collection because we both were blown away by these cymbals when we heard them.

Meinl Byzance is currently my personal favorite line of cymbals that are available today. The thing that I love about Meinl is that they are the only company (other than Sabian) that makes a cymbal for every single playing style imaginable in my opinion. Sabian comes very close to this with their custom shop though. I fell in love with the Byzance Vintage Pure rides they just came out with too.

Btw, your friend wouldn't happen to be Elvis Katic, would it?