Any Max Webster fans?

Curly

Max Webster are just RUSH junior, ie if you're a RUSH fan then they are the back-up group you're supposed to like as well. A band to listen to but just on days when you've listened to all your RUSH albums already, which in 1978 would be a total of 7 RUSH discs.

I disagree of course. Rush was the reason to listen to Max at first, and then you liked them for what they were or not.

Max Webster are just RUSH junior, ie if you're a RUSH fan then they are the back-up group you're supposed to like as well. A band to listen to but just on days when you've listened to all your RUSH albums already, which in 1978 would be a total of 7 RUSH discs.

I disagree of course. Rush was the reason to listen to Max at first, and then you liked them for what they were or not.

They never grabbed me.

I'd put Mutiny Up My Sleeve, A Million Vacations and Universal Juveniles above anything Rush released between Power Windows and Clockwork Angels.

Blasphemy!

I got the greatest hits for Battlescar, but I just thought it was ok.

Pretty much for any band I always thought greatest hits packages were BS. They never have my favorites, but Best of Max Webster comes close.

first time max opened for rush was what, 76? year my mom was born

Not gonna lie. This one stings a little..... :( :sigh:

Max was never really much of a "hits" band, other than a few written by Terry Watkinson, the keyboard player and occasional lead vocalist (next to Kim Mitchell.) Their best tunes (like is often the case) are the ones you never heard on the radio. Go on the Google and check out Beyond The Moon. The guitar solo near the end will blow your goddam mind. Then, listen to The Party Crazy stuff.
  • Like 2

Here are the words to Beyond the Moon… This will give you an idea of the band’s sound. Not something you’d often hear on radio.

It's another world we think in

Because words are obsolete

Two thousand years we kissed the devil

Before we knew defeat

Chapter eating Marx one morning

Freaking out on electric meat

Chewing thrills with Turkish madmen

Space speed to Sweden without sleep

Cocaine colored computer cards

Coding cosmic zipper skies

Vitamin clouds beyond the moon

Yogurt blood lunacy shoes

Acid warped the global fetus

Like the bourgeois look at feet… and Cadillacs

Two thousand years we crossed up Jesus

Thinking he'd make ends meet… Christ no

You can't make the world to order

Like a hotel service's food

Take the sixties as a movie

Take the seventies as fuel

You've got a reason to be endless

Because your mood is summer cool

Let deliverance be existence

Before this song becomes your fool

Edited by Thunder Bay Rush
  • Like 1

They are a great band .

I bought a few of their albums and I have a 7 inch Pic Disc of Paradise Skies somewhere in my dungeon

I saw them with Rush on the Hemispheres Tour 1979 .

• Like 2

They are a great band .

I bought a few of their albums and I have a 7 inch Pic Disc of Paradise Skies somewhere in my dungeon

I still have the pamflet with the Max Webster sampler "vinyl" they gave out on that tour.

(least I think it was that tour)

• Like 1

They are a great band .

I still have the pamflet with the Max Webster sampler "vinyl" they gave out on that tour.

(least I think it was that tour)

God yeh , I remember it !

This was the only time I remember seeing Webster with Rush .

It was the Tyler Gang on the Farewell Tour ( my first )

They made a big impression on me when I saw them , and I seeked out their albums and of course how good was Battlescar at the first hearing .

GREAT picture of Kim on that vinyl disc flying through the air with his ES 335 (I think that’s what that is.) He could fly, jump off the drum riser, do spins, walk out into the crowd and stand on chairs and tables and make his unbelievably skinny legs do very funny things… all this before wireless guitars.

I saw Max play about 15 times from ‘77 - 81. They toured nonstop. The first Max show I saw was them opening for Rush on the AFTK tour, in Ottawa. 8,000 people, sold out… but, fittingly, Max got 5 encores that night. The crowd just kept cheering and cheering “MAX, MAX, MAX.”

And, to top it all off, Kim was (and still is) a serious guitar player. I know he could give Alex a run for his money and many guitar players say he is even better than Lifeson.

Kim’s solo material actually sold more than the Max albums, but to me, it wasn’t anywhere near as good as the Max Webster material. Most of the solo stuff seemed to be written with “hits” in mind. Sadly, that’s the record business for you… most times.

Unless you’re Rush.

Edited by Thunder Bay Rush
  • Like 1

Hey, that's weird. My Hemi program doesn't have that in it! No ads at all. Where did you get yours?

From the concert . :eh:

Maybe the European programs were different .

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x117/coxy2112/2014-01-26141919_zps1aa4ad87.jpg

By the way The Tyler Gang are inside the back page of The Farewell To Kings program .