treeduck

Brees calls Graham a tight end who has revolutionized the position

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 6, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/d-brees-j-graham2.jpg?w=250

Saints quarterback Drew Brees has stated that Jimmy Graham is a tight end, not a wide receiver — a position that an arbitrator supported last week, much to Graham’s dismay. But Brees also says Graham is a tight end who is changing the way the position is played.

“At the end of the day, Jimmy Graham has revolutionized the position,” Brees told CanalStreetChronicles.com. “He’s a guy who is so talented at so many things you know and obviously he’s a big part of our offense and I hope that they’re able to reach a long-term agreement here sooner than later.”

As Graham has revolutionized the position, he has become a victim of his own success during his franchise tag fight with the Saints. Graham is so effective in the Saints’ passing game that he’s as valuable as a good wide receiver, but because he also has the size and ability to line up at tight end, the Saints can keep him with the much less lucrative tight end franchise tag.

Eventually, the NFL and the players’ union may need to reach some kind of compromise that adjusts the franchise tag designation for players who function as hybrid receiver-tight ends. But that would only happen down the road, and would benefit the next generation of tight ends who follow in Graham’s footsteps.

Graham’s appeal deadline is coming, quickly

Posted by Mike Florio on July 11, 2014, 12:34 PM EDT

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/jimmygrahamatl.jpg?w=250

Now that a certain basketball player has decided to make another decision, decisively, all eyes normally watching the NFL can turn to New Orleans.

The Saints and tight end Jimmy Graham must reach a long-term deal by Tuesday, July 15. If they don’t, the Saints and Graham can thereafter sign only a one-year deal.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the discussions have to date gone slowly. Which means there’s a chance the discussions will go down to the wire.

This means that Graham’s window for appealing the decision that he’s a tight end and not a receiver for franchise tag purposes will close before a deal is, or isn’t, done. The CBA states that Graham “must serve on the other party and file with the System Arbitrator a notice of appeal within ten (10) days of the date of the award appealed from.”

The arbitrator issued his ruling on July 2. That makes Saturday, July 12, the deadline. This means that Graham may have to file his appeal as soon as today, in order to ensure that he doesn’t technically fail to file “within” 10 days of the decision.

Some have suggested that, if Graham files the appeal, the negotiations on a long-term deal will implode. To the contrary, the Saints realize Graham would be doing what he needs to do to preserve his rights and enhance his leverage as he tries to get the Saints to or beyond $10 million per year.

At last word, the Saints were at $9.5 million per year, an offer undiminished by the team’s victory in the arbitration. By Tuesday, the two sides will work out a long-term deal or they won’t. If they don’t, 2014 could be Graham’s last year in New Orleans — especially if he wins the appeal.

Hattiesburg woman is Saintsational

559926_10201801529427672_198814163_n.jpg

10306384_10202152588883939_6853926996186848299_n.jpg

10363816_10202152599684209_886407407097003602_n.jpg

A passion for dancing and a desire to celebrate her 40th birthday in a monumental way were two things that led Kriste Lewis to the New Orleans Saints’ practice facility for a life-changing experience.

Standing before a panel of judges, Lewis combated her nerves by remembering her husband’s motto — “focus and fun” — as she tried out for the New Orleans Saintsations in April.

After six months of dance, fitness training and the love and support of her family and friends, Lewis said she prepared herself to mark a life experience off her bucket list.

“For me, trying out for the Saintsations was something I always wanted to do,” she said. “It was on my bucket list. I grew up on the coast and was a Saints fan all my life. … I went into (the tryout) with the idea that the audition would be a celebration.”

Saintsations Director Lesslee Fitzmorris said Lewis’ attitude and training paid off.

“When she needed to blend with the others, she did, and when she needed to stand out, she did,” Fitzmorris said. “For example, the first audition was a dance audition. None of the judges knew her age and judged her strictly on her presentation and dance ability. The second phase of the audition process was the professional interview. It was during this phase that Kriste stood out. In the final selection process, it was a unanimous decision to put her on the team.”

Serving her church and community as a dance fitness instructor, the mother of two said she never expected to be reacquainted with a part of herself she’d lost when she began training to try out for the NFL cheerleading team.

“I had honestly forgotten how much I loved to dance,” she said. “When you’re an instructor and you’re in that situation, you’re really dancing for who is in your class. You’re leading them in exercise. It’s not just for you. … I told my husband, ‘Please remind me after this audition to not stop dancing.’ ”

Lewis doesn’t just dance now because she loves it — it helps maintain her health.

Lewis, whose family has a history of kidney issues, was diagnosed with kidney disease 14 years ago. After watching her mother’s body reject a transplanted kidney twice, Lewis said she made the decision to live a healthy lifestyle as well as make the most of each day.

“Today is the day, not tomorrow,” she said. “Wear your best shoes. Don’t save that bottle of wine. Why are you hoarding that from yourself? … I know there is no cure for (my kidney disease,) and I know that I will be on dialysis and in need of a transplant, but I could be killed in a car wreck tomorrow. … I think too many times we wait too late to start on our bucket lists. Start it while you feel good and can enjoy it.”

Fitzmorris said after surviving bacterial meningitis, she understands Lewis’ “time is precious” outlook, and said she believes Lewis’ story will inspire a wide range of people.

“I know that she will inspire others to overcome adversity, never give up and send the message to go for your dreams and anything is possible,” she said. “This message should serve as a reminder to everyone that you only live once, so start checking off your life's bucket list.”

As one of the 36 talented women who make up this year’s Saintsations team, Lewis said she’s had a fantastic time getting to know each of her teammates.

Lewis is joined by fellow Pine Belt residents Summer Rials, Sara Friday, Sara Bass and Lee Armstrong.

“It’s a family,” Lewis said. “It’s like I have 35 little sisters. They are such sweet girls. … All of the girls are so intelligent and they are so kind and well-rounded.

Fitzmorris said with Lewis’ background and life experience, she wasn’t sure how this year’s team would relate to one another.

“At our first meeting, it was immediately apparent that everyone on the team had respect for each other and appreciated the different perspectives and the team's diversity,” she said. “The younger ones look up to the older ones for life advice on school, careers and relationships and the older ones look up to the younger ones for advice and tips on the latest trends and to not take things too seriously.”

Having spent time as an English teacher, dance instructor and stay-at-home mother, Lewis said she hopes her personal story shows the world that a woman can be anything she aspires to be at any age.

“It goes back to a definition of what a 40-year-old woman could be or should be, and they forget that you can be beautiful and smart,” she said. “Just because you don’t work doesn’t mean you can’t be a doctor or lawyer. I think my generation especially is redefining (that image.)”

Lewis’ mission to redefine what a woman is and can be falls in line with the Saintsation’s mission to reach out to the community and young girls.

“Our program encompasses more than just dance and cheer,” she said. “My emphasis is team building and teaching young women how to represent in a positive manner. We do a lot of community work and work with children. We understand that we serve as role models for young girls.”

As the Saintsations begin their community involvement, and as football season approaches, Lewis said she is getting more and more excited to cheer for her favorite team.

Lewis said she fully intends to soak up all the wonderful experiences this year has to offer, and is looking forward to trying out again in the years to come.

“I can’t even fathom what it’s going to be like to walk out on that field in the Superdome with all those Saints fans,” she said. “I hope I don’t pass out. … If I died tomorrow, I’m good. I’m a happy girl. It’s been a blast.”

Appeal of Graham ruling not expected

Posted by Mike Florio on July 14, 2014, 3:18 PM EDT

http://www.wutksports.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Jimmy-Graham.jpg

Saints tight end Jimmy Graham has until 4:00 p.m. ET to file an appeal of the arbitration decision concluding that he’s a tight end, not a receiver, for franchise-tag purposes. Per a source with knowledge of the situation, it’s currently unlikely that an appeal will be filed.

According to the source, no steps have been taken to direct the NFLPA to file the notice of appeal on Graham’s behalf. With less than an hour to go until the ability to appeal the decision is waived, it strongly suggests that there will be no appeal.

Which strongly suggests that a long-term deal is coming. With a long-term deal, Graham wouldn’t need to roll the dice on the $5.3 million in 2014 salary that would come from a successful appeal.

If no appeal is filed, it means that Graham will either sign a long-term deal by Tuesday at 4:00 p.m. ET or be eligible for a one-year, $7 million contract in 2014. With the Saints offering a deal worth $9.5 million per year and presumably at least $15 million if not much more in fully-guaranteed money at signing, it would be a surprise if Graham doesn’t take the rather large bird in the hard. Especially if as of 4:00 p.m. ET he officially stops chasing the much larger bird in the bush.

Graham announces new deal with Saints

Posted by Mike Florio on July 15, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT

New Orleans Saints tight end Jimmy Graham celebrates after scoring a touchdown against the Detroit Lions during the third quarter of their NFL NFC wildcard playoff football game in New Orleans

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/graham-e1326577531813.jpg?w=248

On the last day for working out a long-term deal between the Saints and tight end Jimmy Graham, the Saints and Jimmy Graham worked out a long-term deal.

Throughout the offseason, the expectation existed that Graham and the Saints would work something out. That there was already too much money on the table for Graham to walk away and carry the injury risk for another year.

The Saints knew that. Which, as best we could tell in recent days, was causing the Saints to resist moving from their pending offer that would pay Graham $9.5 million per year on average.

Emboldening the Saints may have been the stream of messages from Graham’s camp that they were going through the motions, waiting to take the best offer but not really inclined to aggressively try to improve it. For example, Graham and company waited until nearly the last minute to file an appeal of the arbitration decision that made him a tight end for franchise-tag purposes, with a delayed stutter-step on Monday creating the impression that Graham delivered the paperwork not with a slam dunk over the goal post but by tiptoeing on eggshells.

That’s not the way to get the Saints to pay more. As a result, the final hours of negotiations may have been less about getting more and more about trying to get the Saints to shift around the money in a way that will create the impression that the 11th-hour talks actually made the package a little better.

Unless Graham convinced the Saints that he was prepared to suddenly act in a manner contrary to every message he had been sending, chances are that the contract Graham accepted won’t be much better than the deal that has been on the table for months. We won’t know that until we get our hands on the numbers.

The longer it takes to get the numbers, the more likely the Saints didn’t really improve their offer much, if at all.

Graham’s deal will likely pay him well, but how well?

Posted by Mike Florio on July 15, 2014, 9:43 AM EDT

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/graham.jpg?w=243

As a tight end, Jimmy Graham would have made $7 million this year under the franchise tag. As a receiver, he would have made $12.3 million.

The deal that the Saints had put on the table months ago would have paid Graham $9.5 million per year. Which roughly splits the difference between the two numbers.

But when the real numbers come out — not the generic reports of “guaranteed” money that isn’t really guaranteed and/or “up to” values that don’t reflect what the actual value of the deal — it will be important to look at three key factors.

1. How much money is fully guaranteed at signing?

With Graham poised to get a fully-guaranteed base salary of $7 million with the stroke of a pen, the rules would have entitled him to a crack at the open market next March or a 2015 guaranteed salary of $8.4 million. Which means that, if he had avoided a serious injury in 2014, he would have gotten at least $15.4 million over the next two years.

Anything less than $15.4 million in fully guaranteed money at signing, then, would be regarded as a not-so-good deal. Anything less than $7 million fully guaranteed at signing would be viewed as a horrible deal.

2. How much money will Graham make over the first three years?

Once upon a time, contracts carried signing bonuses so large that, as a practical matter, the team wouldn’t cut the player for at least three years. Which made the three-year value of the contract a key number.

In recent years, teams have shifted to pay-as-you-go guaranteed money that isn’t really guaranteed, giving teams an annual opportunity to cut the cord, Kaepernick-style.

Even if Graham won’t get a franchise-quarterback signing bonus in the range of $30 million, his expected three-year haul will be intriguing because he could have opted to go year-to-year under the franchise tag, making $15.4 million in the next two seasons and then hitting the open market in lieu of being tagged at the quarterback level, possibly landing $20 million or more in fully guaranteed money on top of the $15.4 million already earned.

That’s $35.4 million in hand between now and March 2016. How much he’ll actually earn through the 2016 season needs to be compared to that.

3. When must the Saints make an annual keep-or-cut decision?

The Graham deal possibly will have a structure that pays him significant guaranteed-for-injury-only money in future years, with a date each offseason when the money becomes fully guaranteed. The earlier the deadline, the better for the player.

The best deadline comes at the start of the waiver period immediately after the Super Bowl. The next-best deadline comes at or about the start of the league year in March. The worst deadline comes several weeks later, like on April 1 or thereafter.

Even worse than that is no deadline at all, which allows the team to pull a Chris Johnson or a Brandon Flowers, waiting to cut the cord until it’s far too late to get big money elsewhere.

So once the real numbers come out — not the phony, preliminary, puffed-up numbers — we’ll break it all down from the perspective of those three factors.

Initial Graham numbers don’t say much

Posted by Mike Florio on July 15, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT

The early numbers are in on the Jimmy Graham contract. As usual, the early numbers don’t tell us all that much.

The best news for Jimmy Graham could be that he has committed for only four years. Since teams aren’t really committed for the full length of a contract, it’s often better for the player to have a shorter-term deal.

Per Adam Schefter of ESPN, Graham will make $40 million over those four years, which gets Graham to the long-coveted $10 million average. That’s a $500,000 annual increase over the $9.5 million that the Saints had on the table. And it means that, once the real numbers come out, it will make sense to scrutinize them for any smoke and/or mirrors that artificially pushes the contract to a $10 million average.

For example, the contract could (not “will” but “could”) pay out $28.5 million over three years (that’s $9.5 million annually), with a final year at $11.5 million that automatically voids if Graham reaches certain performance or playing-time triggers. Technically, the deal would be worth $10 million per year. As a practical matter, it would be worth $9.5 million per year over three years.

Would a three-year, $28.5 million deal be a bad thing for Graham? No. But it wouldn’t make it a four-year, $40 million deal.

Then there’s the matter of guaranteed money. Schefter reports that Graham will earn $21 million guaranteed. That doesn’t tell us how much will be fully guaranteed at signing, and how much is guaranteed for injury only until some date in the future when the Saints decide to keep Graham around.

The only true guarantee is the money guaranteed to be paid no matter what when the contract is signed. At some point in the past decade, agents and reporters have blurred a line that should never have been blurred, treating money guaranteed only in the event of a catastrophic injury as being truly guaranteed when it isn’t.

Also, keep in mind the possibility that Graham will have to buy a pricey disability policy that would pay big money to the Saints if Graham suffers the kind of serious injury that would trigger Graham’s injury-only guarantee. Maybe that’s the concession Graham made to get the average to $10 million per year.

Regardless, we won’t know the true contours of the deal until the true deal comes out.

Graham gets $13 million this year, $8 million next year

Posted by Mike Florio on July 15, 2014, 11:32 AM EDT

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/graham.jpg?w=250

Some of the real numbers have begun to bubble up regarding the Jimmy Graham contract. And they look pretty good for a player who would have otherwise made $7 million under the franchise tag in 2014.

Per a source with knowledge of the contract, Graham received $12 million to sign, along with a $1 million base salary for 2014. That’s $13 million in the first year (math!) and a cap number of $4 million.

The rest of the guaranteed money falls into 2015 salary, which is guaranteed for injury only, for now. The $8 million Graham is due to make next year becomes fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2015 waiver period. This means that, as a practical matter, the Saints won’t be cutting Graham before the injury guarantee becomes a full and complete guarantee.

Cutting Graham in the days after the next Super Bowl, more than a month before the start of the new league year, would result in $9 million in cap dollars flowing back to 2014. Which presumably would force the Saints to engage in some contract restructurings on an emergency basis.

Even if the Saints were to cut Graham before the next $8 million becomes fully guaranteed, Graham would get $13 million for one season and then become a free agent well before free agency opens.

So Graham either gets $21 million over two years or $13 million over one and a crack at the open market. Either way, that’s better than $7 million for 2014 — and it’s a lot better than the $4 million or so Graham has earned in four NFL seasons.

Graham gets a real $10 million a year

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 17, 2014, 2:58 PM EDT

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/graham.jpg?w=239

When Jimmy Graham and the Saints initially announced that they had agreed on a new contract, we wanted to see what the real numbers were, as the headline numbers in NFL contracts are often inflated. Now we’ve seen the real numbers. So we’ll pass them on to you.

For starters, Graham really does get $10 million a year over four years if he plays out the full contract. Sometimes when a nice round number like “$10 million a year” gets floated in the immediate aftermath of a signing, that’s an inflated figure based on some fluff in the contract that won’t actually be earned, but Graham’s $10 million a year is real.

Graham’s signing bonus is $12 million and his total guarantee is $20.9 million. Graham would get $21 million if he only plays two years of the deal and $30 million if he plays three years of the deal.

In 2014 Graham gets a base salary of $1 million guaranteed in addition to that $12 million signing bonus. His cap number is $4 million — less than he would have counted against the Saints’ cap if he had signed the franchise tender.

In 2015 Graham gets a base salary of $2.9 million guaranteed, a roster bonus of $5 million due on the third day of the league year and a workout bonus of $100,000. His cap number is $11 million.

In 2016 Graham gets a base salary of $8.9 million and a workout bonus of $100,000. His cap number is $12 million.

In 2017 Graham gets a base salary of $7.9 million, a roster bonus of $2 million if he’s on the team on the third day of the league year and a workout bonus of $100,000. His cap number is $13 million.

If Graham plays out the full contract, without renegotiating or extending or getting released, he’ll be a free agent in March of 2018. At which point the Saints could franchise him. And we’ll all obsess over whether Graham lined up for most of his 2017 snaps within four yards of an offensive tackle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpMzD98LcvI

The way the game was meant to be played with out all of the BS rules these days! :haz:

Roger doesn't like it like that...

http://nesncom.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/6a0115709f071f970b017ee3c54c14970d.jpg

No sh**!!

I despise this idiot. :madra:

Roger

The way the game was meant to be played with out all of the BS rules these days! :haz:

http://nesncom.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/6a0115709f071f970b017ee3c54c14970d.jpg

No sh**!!

That's why I created the tag, "to hell with goodhell", it's at the bottom of the tag list on the main page of the forum...

• Like 1

No sh**!!

Roger

No sh**!!

That's why I created the tag, "to hell with goodhell", it's at the bottom of the tag list on the main page of the forum...

:ebert:

• Like 1

A passion for dancing and a desire to celebrate her 40th birthday in a monumental way were two things that led Kriste Lewis to the New Orleans Saints’ practice facility for a life-changing experience.

Standing before a panel of judges, Lewis combated her nerves by remembering her husband’s motto — “focus and fun” — as she tried out for the New Orleans Saintsations in April.

After six months of dance, fitness training and the love and support of her family and friends, Lewis said she prepared herself to mark a life experience off her bucket list.

“For me, trying out for the Saintsations was something I always wanted to do,” she said. “It was on my bucket list. I grew up on the coast and was a Saints fan all my life. … I went into (the tryout) with the idea that the audition would be a celebration.”

Saintsations Director Lesslee Fitzmorris said Lewis’ attitude and training paid off.

“When she needed to blend with the others, she did, and when she needed to stand out, she did,” Fitzmorris said. “For example, the first audition was a dance audition. None of the judges knew her age and judged her strictly on her presentation and dance ability. The second phase of the audition process was the professional interview. It was during this phase that Kriste stood out. In the final selection process, it was a unanimous decision to put her on the team.”

Serving her church and community as a dance fitness instructor, the mother of two said she never expected to be reacquainted with a part of herself she’d lost when she began training to try out for the NFL cheerleading team.

“I had honestly forgotten how much I loved to dance,” she said. “When you’re an instructor and you’re in that situation, you’re really dancing for who is in your class. You’re leading them in exercise. It’s not just for you. … I told my husband, ‘Please remind me after this audition to not stop dancing.’ ”

Lewis doesn’t just dance now because she loves it — it helps maintain her health.

Lewis, whose family has a history of kidney issues, was diagnosed with kidney disease 14 years ago. After watching her mother’s body reject a transplanted kidney twice, Lewis said she made the decision to live a healthy lifestyle as well as make the most of each day.

“Today is the day, not tomorrow,” she said. “Wear your best shoes. Don’t save that bottle of wine. Why are you hoarding that from yourself? … I know there is no cure for (my kidney disease,) and I know that I will be on dialysis and in need of a transplant, but I could be killed in a car wreck tomorrow. … I think too many times we wait too late to start on our bucket lists. Start it while you feel good and can enjoy it.”

Fitzmorris said after surviving bacterial meningitis, she understands Lewis’ “time is precious” outlook, and said she believes Lewis’ story will inspire a wide range of people.

“I know that she will inspire others to overcome adversity, never give up and send the message to go for your dreams and anything is possible,” she said. “This message should serve as a reminder to everyone that you only live once, so start checking off your life's bucket list.”

As one of the 36 talented women who make up this year’s Saintsations team, Lewis said she’s had a fantastic time getting to know each of her teammates.

Lewis is joined by fellow Pine Belt residents Summer Rials, Sara Friday, Sara Bass and Lee Armstrong.

“It’s a family,” Lewis said. “It’s like I have 35 little sisters. They are such sweet girls. … All of the girls are so intelligent and they are so kind and well-rounded.

Fitzmorris said with Lewis’ background and life experience, she wasn’t sure how this year’s team would relate to one another.

“At our first meeting, it was immediately apparent that everyone on the team had respect for each other and appreciated the different perspectives and the team's diversity,” she said. “The younger ones look up to the older ones for life advice on school, careers and relationships and the older ones look up to the younger ones for advice and tips on the latest trends and to not take things too seriously.”

Having spent time as an English teacher, dance instructor and stay-at-home mother, Lewis said she hopes her personal story shows the world that a woman can be anything she aspires to be at any age.

“It goes back to a definition of what a 40-year-old woman could be or should be, and they forget that you can be beautiful and smart,” she said. “Just because you don’t work doesn’t mean you can’t be a doctor or lawyer. I think my generation especially is redefining (that image.)”

Lewis’ mission to redefine what a woman is and can be falls in line with the Saintsation’s mission to reach out to the community and young girls.

“Our program encompasses more than just dance and cheer,” she said. “My emphasis is team building and teaching young women how to represent in a positive manner. We do a lot of community work and work with children. We understand that we serve as role models for young girls.”

As the Saintsations begin their community involvement, and as football season approaches, Lewis said she is getting more and more excited to cheer for her favorite team.

Lewis said she fully intends to soak up all the wonderful experiences this year has to offer, and is looking forward to trying out again in the years to come.

“I can’t even fathom what it’s going to be like to walk out on that field in the Superdome with all those Saints fans,” she said. “I hope I don’t pass out. … If I died tomorrow, I’m good. I’m a happy girl. It’s been a blast.”

This woman has two kids, a 14 year old and an 11 year old. This could make for some interesting conversations at the middle school...

This woman has two kids, a 14 year old and an 11 year old. This could make for some interesting conversations at the middle school...

Yeah their school pals will be saying wow I really want to f**k [insert name]'s mum! She's a cougar Saintsation! Grrrrrrrrrrr http://freeemoticonsandsmileys.com/animated%20emoticons/Animal%20Animated%20Emoticons/leopard.gif

• Like 2

Yeah their school pals will be saying wow I really want to f**k [insert name]'s mum! She's a cougar Saintsation! Grrrrrrrrrrr http://freeemoticonsandsmileys.com/animated%20emoticons/Animal%20Animated%20Emoticons/leopard.gif

If I was them, if I had my friends over, I wouldn't let them use the bathroom...

If I was them, if I had my friends over, I wouldn't let them use the bathroom...

:LOL:

• Like 1

:drool: :7up: :D

:drool: :7up: :D

Gotta love that older sweet stuff!! :codger: