treeduck

Champ Bailey: Saints are “very close” to a championship

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 4, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/champ.jpg?w=250

Champ Bailey doesn’t have a Super Bowl ring. But he likes his chances of getting one in New Orleans.

Bailey said after signing with the Saints today that he’s on board with what the coaching staff told him, which is that their sights are set on winning the Super Bowl.

“We’re all on the same page and we all have the same goal in mind and that’s to win a championship,” Bailey said. “[The Saints] are very close [to a championship]. You look at, Coach Payton took a year off, came back and they got in the playoffs, and won a game. They’re very close. I think any time you have a guy like Drew Brees calling the shots on offense, you’re always going to have a shot. Then, you put a good defense in with that and you give yourself a better shot. They’ve got all the pieces, so hopefully I’m another piece to help them get to where we want to go.”

Although the 35-year-old Bailey isn’t the same player he once was, he thinks his experience will be valuable to the Saints.

“I have a little more to my game, I believe, especially mentally,” Bailey said. “I can see things a lot easier, a lot of things come up that I’ve had experience with. That only helps your game.”

Bailey believes he can help the Saints win the Super Bowl.

When are you guys signing Michael Haynes?

Is Night Train Lane still alive?

We're gonna dig him up and give him a tryout see what he's got left in his old bones! :blaze:

Hey, if you can win with Roman Harper...

We're gonna dig him up and give him a tryout see what he's got left in his old bones! :blaze:

Yeah, Harper was known as Medusa hands...

How'd we miss on him????

How'd we miss on him????

I don't think the Fins had a pick in that round and you picked Jason Allen in the first round.

How'd we miss on him????

I don't think the Fins had a pick in that round and you picked Jason Allen in the first round.

Oh yeah that's the year we had the guy that makes Bobby Petrino look like a paragon of loyalty and integrity running the franchise, which gives me yet another chance to say...f*** you Satan.

How'd we miss on him????

Oh yeah that's the year we had the guy that makes Bobby Petrino look like a paragon of loyalty and integrity running the franchise, which gives me yet another chance to say...f*** you Satan.

One thing about Saban he knows how to trade for a quarterback in a way that can help the Saints! So here's to him coming back into the league and trading for one again! :hail:

• Like 1

How'd we miss on him????

One thing about Saban he knows how to trade for a quarterback in a way that can help the Saints! So here's to him coming back into the league and trading for one again! :hail:

Here's to him coming back to the league and getting his sh!t handed to him again but with another team.

How'd we miss on him????

Here's to him coming back to the league and getting his sh!t handed to him again but with another team.

That too!

• Like 1

How'd we miss on him????

That too!

Atlanta in 2015?

• Like 1

How'd we miss on him????

That too!

Atlanta in 2015?

It depends how long his meal ticket lasts in Alabama.

And then he did say this last year:

"...I came to the Miami Dolphins eight years ago for the best owner, the best person I've ever had the opportunity to work for. In the two years I was here, I had a very, very difficult time thinking I would impact the organization the way I wanted to and the way I was able to in college. It was very difficult for me..."

How'd we miss on him????

That too!

Atlanta in 2015?

"...I came to the Miami Dolphins eight years ago for the best owner, the best person I've ever had the opportunity to work for. In the two years I was here, I had a very, very difficult time thinking I would impact the organization the way I wanted to and the way I was able to in college. It was very difficult for me..."

Can you ever believe anything a proven liar says?

How'd we miss on him????

That too!

Atlanta in 2015?

Can you ever believe anything a proven liar says?

So you don't think he worked for "the best owner, the best person...blah blah blah" then?

Saints match offer sheet signed by Rafael Bush in Atlanta

Posted by Mike Florio on April 7, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/bush.jpg?w=228

The Saints had until Tuesday to match the offer sheet signed last week by safety Rafael Bush with the Falcons. The Saints opted not to prolong the suspense.

Per a league source, the Saints have indeed matched the offer. Bush hinted strongly that the offer had been matched by tweeting, “I’m still a saint yep.”

Last year, Bush appeared in 13 games with six starts. He’ll be deferring to starters Jairus Byrd and Kenny Vaccaro, barring injury.

Acquired on waivers in 2012 from the Broncos, Bush appeared in 16 games with no starts during his first season in New Orleans. His second season in New Orleans ended with a $21,000 fine from an illegal hit applied to Seahawks receiver Percy Harvin during the divisional round of the playoffs.

The best news is that Saints fans who still have Reggie Bush jerseys can wear them without feeling too far out of style; Rafael Bush wears No. 25, too.

Arthur Blank “bothered” at Falcons’ reaction to a hit on Matt Ryan

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 8, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/350x-536-e1350235879493.jpg?w=240

During a game last season, Saints safety Kenny Vaccaro was flagged for a cheap shot on Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan. Falcons owner Arthur Blank is still mad about that — and not just at Vaccaro.

Blank told 680 The Fan that he was angered that none of Ryan’s teammates stepped in to say anything to Vaccaro about it, and that the Falcons need to be tougher than they showed.

“And that play really bothered me, sincerely,” Blank said, via ESPN.com. “It bothered me that none of our players, they all complained, but none of them went to the safety on the Saints and did anything. Not that they would start a fight, but just kind of put their finger in his chest and saying, ‘That’s not acceptable.’”

Blank said that play has been a focal point of offseason discussions with G.M. Thomas Dimitroff and the Falcons’ new assistant G.M., Scott Pioli. Blank said there’s widespread agreement that the team needs to get tougher.

“Scott said, when he was talking at dinner one night with Thomas, he said that really bothered him when he watched that game,” Blank said. “That told him a lot about the mentality of a lot of our players. And I think with [offensive line coach] Mike Tice, and [defensive line coach] Bryan Cox and Smitty [head coach Mike Smith] supporting that, I think you’ll see a different attitude this year.”

So let this be a public service announcement for everyone who faces the Falcons this year: No free shots on Matt Ryan.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Pats remain the favorites to sign Will Smith, eventually

Posted by Mike Florio on April 8, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/smith1.jpg?w=127

Barely seven months removed from a torn ACL, veteran defensive end Will Smith has drawn interest from the Patriots. For now, the Pats are viewed as the leaders to sign him, eventually.

That could change over time, but Smith seems to be willing to take a one-year deal in the hopes of pursuing another championship that would bookend his Super Bowl ring from the 2009 season in New Orleans.

That same year, he had a career-high 13 sacks. Since then, he hasn’t had more than 6.5 sacks in any given year.

Still, if/when the knee is healed, he’s regarded as having some gas left in the tank. The Patriots could be the recipients of whatever Smith has left.

Saints bring Brodrick Bunkley back at a reduced rate

Posted by Darin Gantt on April 9, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/bd2a7ef318d4f6c6b3f98ea39476d964.jpeg?w=250

Early this offseason, the Saints cut a bunch of veteran defensive players to get them off the books.

Others are getting pay cuts.

According to Katherine Terrell of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, defensive tackle Brodrick Bunkley restructured his contract to create $2.85 million in salary cap space.

His salary this year went from $4.5 million to $1.65 million, including a $300,000 roster bonus. His base salaries in 2015 and 2016 stayed the same.

The 30-year-old is a solid rotational defensive tackle, but wasn’t going to last long at his old numbers.

Edited by treeduck

Champ Bailey will only play corner for the Saints

Posted by Josh Alper on April 9, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/165c2ccf4884b45f7ebd79830c2f0dab-e1397074801999.jpeg?w=250

When Champ Bailey was looking for a new team after the Broncos released him, he said he’d be willing to play safety if a team wanted him to transition away from cornerback at this point in his career.

Bailey has found a home in New Orleans, but he won’t have to learn how to play a different position. General Manager Mickey Loomis said Wednesday that the Saints intend to use Bailey at cornerback only.

“You always have a need for good players and that’s a valuable position,” Loomis said, via Larry Holder of the New Orleans Times-Picayune.

If the Saints were a little less deep at corner, there might be more of a concern. Signing Jairus Byrd and matching Atlanta’s offer sheet for Rafael Bush give them two safeties to go with Kenny Vaccaro, though, and, as Holder pointed out earlier this week, it seems quite likely that we’ll see three-safety looks as a result of their strength at that position.

Mickey Loomis “optimistic” about Graham deal, but says no April 22 deadline to get it done

Posted by Josh Alper on April 10, 2014, 9:49 AM EDT

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/x6101-e1335296287941.jpg?w=215

Last month, Mike Florio reported that the expectation was that the Saints and Jimmy Graham would reach agreement on a new contract before the April 22 deadline for Graham to file a grievance arguing that he should be franchise tagged as a wide receiver instead of as a tight end.

Coach Sean Payton said he though Florio “hit the nail on the head” during a subsequent interview on PFT Live, although there’s some confusion about whether or not that deadline applies to Graham. Florio discussed that on Wednesday’s PFT Live, a clip of which you can find below, and General Manager Mickey Loomis said Wednesday that the team does not view the April 22 date as a deadline for getting a long-term deal done.

Whenever a grievance must be filed, the Saints still have a July 15 deadline to sign Graham to a multi-year deal before the only options would be for Graham to play out the year under the tag or sit out the season. Loomis said he’s “optimistic” that a deal with Graham will get done, but he didn’t give any indication about when that might happen.

“I don’t have an answer for that,” Loomis said, via ESPN.com. “That’s a two-way street. You know, you guys [in the media] have been through this lots of times. I think all of us would rather have things done sooner rather than later, but it doesn’t always happen that way. So we’ll keep going, we’ll keep at it in the process. Obviously we want to have Jimmy Graham on our team when training camp begins, and I am sure he wants to be with us. So we’ll just keep plugging away at the process. He’s got a great agent. And all his people, they know what they’re doing, and so do we. Hopefully we’ll come to a conclusion at some point.”

If Graham does file a grievance, there will naturally be some big differences between the sides as they make their cases before an arbitrator and that would likely slow down any negotiations on a longer deal that may be going on. If the deadline for that grievance isn’t a factor, though, there’s plenty of time for the sides to talk before Graham would have to pull the pin on the grenade that he’s got in his arsenal.

Graham has three years to challenge his franchise-tag designation

Posted by Mike Florio on April 10, 2014, 11:08 AM EDT

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/graham.jpg?w=250

The more I know about the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the more I realize there’s plenty more to know that I don’t already, you know, know.

The lengthy document creates multiple avenues for resolving disputes. The primary three are: (1) injury grievances; (2) non-injury grievances; and (3) system arbitrations. Each device has a different deadline for proceeding. For injury grievances, the player has 25 days from termination of his contract. For non-injury grievances, the player has fifty days. For system arbitrations, the player has a whopping three years.

And I did not know that.

Certain specific provisions of the CBA fall under system arbitration. One of them is Article 10, which sets forth the rules regarding the franchise tag. Thus, if/when a player disagrees with the specific type of franchise tag applied to him, he has not 50 days but a whopping three years to do something about it.

As a result, Saints G.M. Mickey Loomis is right. April 22 is irrelevant. The key date becomes March 3, 2017.

Of course, Graham can file the grievance whenever he wants. Maybe he’ll do it on April 22. Maybe he’ll do it on May 22. Maybe he’ll do it right now. (He supposedly was going to do it “immediately.”)

It’s clear that Graham doesn’t want to unnecessarily inflame the situation by forcing the player and the team to assume battle stations over whether his snaps taken in the slot should be treated as snaps taken as a receiver or as a tight end. At some point, however, he’ll come off as weak and uncertain regarding his position. For now, he’s avoiding the possibility of a backlash from Saints fans who may not like the fact that he’s trying to blow up the team’s cap situation, that he thinks he’s not a tight end, and that $7 million for 2014 somehow isn’t enough.

It could be that Graham is giving the Saints until July 15, the deadline for signing a franchise player to a multi-year deal, to give him the contract he wants. If they don’t, then he’d presumably file the grievance, claiming he’s actually a receiver.

It’s a $5.2 million question. But Graham won’t actually lose any money until Week One, when he gets his first paycheck under the one-year franchise tag. For now, then, there’s no hurry to get the question resolved.